302 oil pan???

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
FLASHLIGHTBOY

302 oil pan???

Post by FLASHLIGHTBOY »

What oil is the best fit for the 320 conversion for a 1963 comet convertible.?? I am going to change the 6 cylinder to a 302 and I woudl like to know what oil pan to use for the best mod.. thanks,, I am going to go with a carb system rather than the 5.0 litre system.. I think it looks cleaner looking..

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: 302 oil pan???

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

You need a front sump oil pan. Easiest to search for one from a 65 Mustang. If you are using a 302 from a fuel injected car you will also need an older timing chain cover with the dipstick in it.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

One other item is an oil pump pickup for a front sump.289-302 front sump pans interchange. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

rditz

Post by rditz »

You may have an issue with the front cross memeber if you go with an after market oil pan. I went with a Milodon 8qrt pan. I had to notch the front of the cross member so that I could get the drain plug out.

I think a stock pan would have the drain plug in the bottom of the pan, so that wouldn't be an issue.

rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

FLASHLIGHTBOY

Post by FLASHLIGHTBOY »

Thanks for the help.. I thought for sure some of the boys who changed the motors over froma 6 would have a good selection of tried and true oil pan choices.. I am debating on ordering one of the 302 motors from EBAY ( PHOENIX MOTORS) as they look pretty good and the pricing is not bad.. hard to rebild something at those prices.. and ready to put in