intake manifold

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
arnie123

intake manifold

Post by arnie123 »

I have a stock 302, and C4 in my 65 comet. i need to replace the carb. but i'm finding it would probably be cheaper to put on a four v carb .i know a guy that has a edlebrock performer 289 that he wants to get rid of (no carb). i see lots of the edlebrock 1406 carbs for sale. would this be a good choice to replace my 2v carb and manifold with? i'm not trying to make this a racer but i would like to gain a few more ponies if i can.
thanks
Greg

popscomet

Re: intake manifold

Post by popscomet »

GREG--I had same set up on bone stock 302,4spd,headers,in a 67 fairlane,worked very good...NOW before you buy a used alum intake,make sure the threads are good ,where thermostat bolts on..check it out don't get taken 'cause it's pretty,and you start daydreamin,,'bout how your motor gonna look...I've been there.....POP
pop/glenda

arnie123

Post by arnie123 »

OK so i went ahead and bought the edlebrock 289 manifold from my neighbor all of the threads were ok. he also has a set of hi po exhaust manifolds. are these worth replacing my stock manifolds with. i don't have the money to install headders. will i see much difference? the manifolds i have are the stock ones that have the opening facing the firewall on both sides. thanks
greg

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JMO..JMO ,you'd never know HI-PO manifolds were on a stock 302.pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

arnie123 wrote: he also has a set of hi po exhaust manifolds. are these worth replacing my stock manifolds with. the manifolds i have are the stock ones that have the opening facing the firewall on both sides. thanks
greg
The stock 65 LH manifold has the outlet pointed toward the ground and crosses the pipe under the oil pan to the right hand pipe. The RH manifold outlet faces the firewall. You might have Mustang manifolds?
On the Hipo manifolds; I think Falcon/Comet Hipo manifolds were reproduced for awhile, but not anymore. They are more slender than the Mustang Hipo manifolds to fit the Comet engine compartment.
Larger exhaust manifolds cant hurt I guess.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Is dual exht already on this comet?If yes,changing to hi-po manf is not gonna give much in return.but if no,then byall means put 'em on. THe qustion was,,will i see much difference? pop [ i'm not the sharpest kniefe in the drawer ]this stuff is JMO
pop/glenda