289 Distributor

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Ratical

289 Distributor

Post by Ratical »

Anybody reccomend or warn me away from any distributors, my pertronix III unit died. Im looking for a new distributor, preferably a stand alone. The pertronix is lookin like the best buy, but was looking for any other suggestions
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: 289 Distributor

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Don't get one of those Chinese HEI style ones. My Dad bought one it was junk. I run a 19 year old Mallory comp 9000. Works great, still on original unilite trigger. I have heard some say new Mallory stuff has lower quality than they used to but I am not sure.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

i bought one of the procomp ready to run distributors, but i have heard mixed reviews. i figured for 50 bucks, it was worth taking a chance. if it doesn't work, i'm going to use an old mallory dual point.
i picked up a 289 last weekend that had a single point distributor with no vacuum advance on it. didn't know ford made a single point, mechanical advance distributor. have i lived a sheltered life? lol

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

yea im not big on the hei in a ford idea. although... i was at a show sat when the pertronics died. rain moving in and show closing. i ran over and bought one from dannys hot rods for $50. dropped it in and it got me home. ive not yet looked into mine to see if its the coil or igntor. but been looking to replace my distributor anyway. not really wanting a seaprate box. so options are limited, from the ones i seen.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The Mallory mechanical advance single point was a Marine unit,I had two of them in boats.I read an article on ALL the new ignitions and distributors,they have all gone offshore,either to China or Mexico.The story commented that no matter which brand they were hit and miss,you just have to hope the one you get is good. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

i will have to give it a closer look to see if it's a mallory

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

MSD Distributor; Ready-To-Run Distributor; Ford 289/302; Steel Gear
ordered that and a msd coil. with some black ford racing wires. hope it shows u soon for some holiday weekend cruising.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MSD,dist,coil ,6al box has been on my comet for better part of 20yrs,so far so good.Have had both box and dist go out on Ms pop's 56 ford,put on another msd box,then replaced dist with a dura spark,that was about 5 yrs ago.14 -15 yrs ago,put all that stuff on my 84 5.0 CAPRI,,didn't last til water got hot...took every thing off took it back to speed shop ,the ink was still wet on my check,they replaced every thing,so I don't know which was bad,put it all back on.been great ever since. Ya never know....thanks can't hardly wait, til next yr to see ya!! POP
pop/glenda

FORD FAN

Post by FORD FAN »

I know you said you want to not have a separate ignition box ,but it could be hidden under the dash. My reccomendation would be a Duraspark distributor and and MSD box. The rebuilt Durasparks are real cheap and have vacuum advance. If you have a roller cam get an '85 Mustang dist.;if you have a flat tappet cam get a '84 Mustang. Very dependable. Don
'65 Cyclone, 5.0, Gt40X heads, HO cam, Edelbrock 600, T5, 9" 3.70 gears, MII susp.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Inside under the dash,is where the box is mounted on the 56.Son put it there mainly for a cleaner eng.compart look.My other 2 cars have them under hood.Have wondered about heat,,but they do seem to be ok.Is it one of those things like "if it ain't broke-don't fix it"or is heat a factor?? POP
pop/glenda

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

Yea i had thought about hiding the module under the dash. but comes down to im not making that much hp. i belive the stand alone unit is great for my apllication. it came in friday. got it all set up. new ford racing plug wires. just need to get the black cap from msd as the red sticks out. seems to be running great just gotta get them rings to seat. may dive it out to get that 500 mile mark for the first oil change.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Ratical,just got home, checking out pic of your dist...red cap looks kinda sexy[kinda-sorta]black is more better.hope you have a good night and a better day tomorrow..........POP
pop/glenda

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I like the red cap. Stands out. I guess it grabs your eye though taking the focus away from a beautiful engine compartment. I guess I will have to see it with the black cap to see the difference.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry