1964 Comet (NOT MUSTANG) 289 D code versus K code

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
me_gwg

1964 Comet (NOT MUSTANG) 289 D code versus K code

Post by me_gwg »

I tried to get info on the 1964 D code engine compared to the K code engine in the comet (not mustang). I wondered if D was a 2 barrel 289 and K a 4 barrel. No one could give me an answer on this forum. I know all about the HiPo that did not come to be in the 64 comet, but there had to be a difference between the D and the K. This is an article I found on the net...

The history of the K code Cyclone engine for 1964 is another of those fascinating, little known anecdotes. Ford, of course, was obsessing over it's new Mustang in 1964 and 1965. According to published historical records, Fran Hernandez, Director of Mercury Performance was at odds with Lee Iococca concerning the K code engine. Hernandez wanted to include the 289, 271 HP High Performance engine in the Cyclone package. According to available public record, Iococca did not want any attention taken away from the new Mustang and the Fairlane, who featured the 271 HP engine as an option. There appeared to be a considerable amount of interdivision rivalry between the two companies, fueled by Mercury's racing success in the early sixties. At some point, the engine option for Mercury was deleted and they were left with the D code 289/210 HP engine. At this point, Mercury engineers decided to improvise. They installed the 600 CFM Autolite four barrel carb from the 352 engine, a different manifold, and other changes that elevated the horsepower to approximately 230. They designated this engine the K code. This change actually worked in Mercury's favor. There was some confusion among buyers, and the Comets actually outsold the Fairlanes.

Is there any truth to this???

Thanks

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: 1964 Comet (NOT MUSTANG) 289 D code versus K code

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Not sure about the story, but the only D code 64 Comet I ever saw had transistorized ignition and an autolite 4 barrel carb.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

comethead

Post by comethead »

me_gwg wrote:I wondered if D was a 2 barrel 289 and K a 4 barrel. No one could give me an answer on this forum.
I think I tried to answer a similar question here http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 396#p15396
me_gwg wrote:The history of the K code Cyclone engine for 1964 is another of those fascinating, little known anecdotes. Ford, of course, was obsessing over it's new Mustang in 1964 and 1965. According to published historical records, Fran Hernandez, Director of Mercury Performance was at odds with Lee Iococca concerning the K code engine. Hernandez wanted to include the 289, 271 HP High Performance engine in the Cyclone package. According to available public record, Iococca did not want any attention taken away from the new Mustang and the Fairlane, who featured the 271 HP engine as an option. There appeared to be a considerable amount of interdivision rivalry between the two companies, fueled by Mercury's racing success in the early sixties. At some point, the engine option for Mercury was deleted and they were left with the D code 289/210 HP engine. At this point, Mercury engineers decided to improvise. They installed the 600 CFM Autolite four barrel carb from the 352 engine, a different manifold, and other changes that elevated the horsepower to approximately 230. They designated this engine the K code. This change actually worked in Mercury's favor. There was some confusion among buyers, and the Comets actually outsold the Fairlanes.
Is there any truth to this???
Thats interesting, never read that account of it.
Bob Mannels SBF book indicates that D code and Comet K code are the same. 289 low compression 4bbl carb 210hp.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

There are so many stories and books that are mistaken on some facts.The 210HP,289 was not low compression,it was at least 10.25 to 1,flat top pistons with just two valve relief notches,iron four barrel intake with a Ford 'flat top' four barrel,vacuum advance distributer,hydraulic lifters,single exhaust. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

me_gwg

Post by me_gwg »

This is all very interesting stuff, thanks guys, thanks a lot and Happy New Year!!!

Grant

COMETBOSS

Post by COMETBOSS »

Well if anything the true 271hp was found only on the 63 fairlane..it was the one with the 11 compression pistons and small valve chambers... It changed in 64... To 10.5 pistons and bigger valve chambers... Aside from dual point dist.. the 64-7 K and A performance wise were the same.

COMETBOSS

Post by COMETBOSS »

The hipo 289.... Quite the mystery with mercury... Well my comet is a 202... Plain Jane... A one owner car.... In restoration now.... I got original paperwork and all... He special orderd it while he lived in Florida.. then moved to new Mexico... Story was he wanted a sleeper... So he ordered the base comet no trim no frills.. so he ordered a 289 4v with a 4 speed.. it dies have a 9 inch in the rear... I used to have a 63 hipo fairlane and it originally had a single muffler system.. my next door neighbor has a "D" code mustang and it is just a standard 289 4v with an 8 inch rear end.

1963 1/2 S22 HT

Post by 1963 1/2 S22 HT »

I've got a 1963 1/2 Comet S-22 Hardtop/Fastback factory 4 speed v8, but its got a 1964 289 HiPo K code block in it. It was a factory 260 2 barrel 4 speed but 260 block cracked and was replaced. Last owner said the block didn't come with a intake or manifolds so she used the 2 barrel and regular manifolds from the 260. And she added a new distributer, now has vaccine advance which I have no idea what the difference is, but oh well. Lol.
Real Cars Dont Power The Front Wheels, They Lift Them!!!

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

For one the balancer is about twice as thick. Under the valve springs there is a milled seat if you will. These can be seen at a glance.

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

jazzyjim64

Post by jazzyjim64 »

I met someone from new jersey who was selling comet parts about 16 years ago and told me a story about a 64 caliente he found . the car belonged to a Vietnam vet who bought the in 1968 . The car was bought in California when he came home and it was a 289 4 speed car but it had an alternator , electronic ignition and a 271 HP solid lifter engine with a D code designation on the vin tag . When he found it the was buried in about a foot of mud parked in a backyard , he told me that at the end of the 64 model run ford equipped some cars with this package after the Daytona runs ( 100,000 miles at a hundred miles an hour ) but I guess it never caught on . he sold the engine alone for $6500.00 in 1998 I only bought a cyclone steering wheel. So maybe D meant Daytona ?

albert

Post by albert »

I worked for Ford from 1963 to 1968 in Oakville Ontario where they made several Ford and Mercury models including Comets and in St Thomas Ontario where they made Falcons. The production lines were not as sophisticated as they are today and the line worker could alter what was supposed to go in the car. When an employee's car went down the line it got special treatment especially if he was following his car being built and he was well liked by his co workers. So when someone says they have a car that has stuff on it that it shouldn't and that it is original they may be right based on my experiences back in the day.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

comethead

Post by comethead »

albert wrote:I worked for Ford from 1963 to 1968 in Oakville Ontario where they made several Ford and Mercury models including Comets and in St Thomas Ontario where they made Falcons. The production lines were not as sophisticated as they are today and the line worker could alter what was supposed to go in the car. When an employee's car went down the line it got special treatment especially if he was following his car being built and he was well liked by his co workers. So when someone says they have a car that has stuff on it that it shouldn't and that it is original they may be right based on my experiences back in the day.
Good story Albert! Never thought of that

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HEARD of that dealings many years ago,often thought about taking a leave of absent from the RR and going up there and hireing out long e'nuff to make friends (I'm the type of person that can talk to a beware or stop sign) and have me a car built..but I never could convince .myself that I could stay away from GLENDA ,,DWAYNE AND MANDY long e'nuff......pop
pop/glenda

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

What I know is that the Fairlane k code hipo manifolds would not work on the drivers side of a Comet or Falcon. The K in a 64 Comet Cyclone VIN means a 289 with a chrome dress up package. Calientes could only be had standard with a 260. The K code 289 was standard equipment in ALL Cyclones. This engine was called the "Super Cyclone" with a chrome package. Air cleaner top [not the open element hipo type] valve covers and oil cap and dipstick I think. A hydraulic cam, 4 barrel carb, single exhaust. It did not have the solid lifter heads which differed from normal only by the pushrod guide holes and cast in valve spring pockets so they could use bigger,better springs to make it rap. Real hipo blocks have a splash of orange paint on the back of the block and use a different balancer. Hipo rods have bigger bolts as well. There were no Comets or Falcons produced[ other than dealer special orders for competition cars] that came equipped with the solid lifter engine. [1964] Of course a tricky guy with some pull and cash could maybe get one just like he wanted and I'm sure a few did. I've just never seen or heard of a documented real one. Who knew you could get one with a 427? Not many. Ever wish you could go back to 1964 with a wad of cash? Comet engine codes to not seem to have any solid connection to production Ford codes in 1964. If a Comet ever did get the solid lifter hipo engine, what would the Mercury code be? The Daytona Comets and the East African Safari Comets and European Rally Comets all got solid lifter hipos and 4 speeds and 9" rears. What were the codes on those cars? Were they all built at DST?

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Seems these cars had 260s and were modified after production. So I've been told.