Gathering parts for a V8 swap

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
ZRXwannabe

Re: Gathering parts for a V8 swap

Post by ZRXwannabe »

Yep, probably should have done all that too but I took a chance on mine. There was a little copper showing on the rear main. I be happy if it goes a year or so before a rebuild.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

You are much braver than me for sure. I really wanted to swap and go but after initial inspection I knew it wasn't going to happen.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Hello! Bringing this back from the dead so I can get this motor in. Quick update on the Comet project, it got put on the back burner for a while I worked on finishing up my prior engagement with the Camaro :eek: but I did manage to get the Granada disc brake swap done and also the 8'' rear end swap in during that time. Fed up with working on the Chev I tabled it for now and have jumped back into getting the Comet ready to roll. I changed gears a few months ago and decided to swap a 351w in with a C4 behind it. The 351w has been stroked to a 408 with a forged bottom end and is currently in assembly as time and cost allows. Last weekend I set the block in to the bay but only to find the motor mount combo I have is off. I purchased the stamped steel mounts from a 69 Mustang earlier in this thread and a set of block mounts and it sets the motor back and low but the issue would be that the holes do not line up. It's about an eyeballed 1'' off on each side. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction of if the frame mounts I have will still work with a different block mount, or if I'm better off scrapping the idea and getting the original 3-piece V8 mounts?

Other than that things are coming along nicely. I ended up finding out after removing the carpet that the toe boards, drivers side and passenger side both front and rear floor pans were blown through. I ended up butt welding in new replacement panels without too much trouble. Glad to be out of that project and onto getting the motor details worked out and getting it installed. Although, the inner fender apron on the passenger side is also blown out and without any luck searching for a proper replacement, I've taken some 20ga sheet and fabbed up a flat replacement that I plan to butt in. Battery is getting moved to the trunk.

Tried attaching a few pics but looks like the space is full so I'll try and host them if I can remember my login on photo bucket :lol:

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Update: I think the issue has been found. New guy at the parts house gave me the wrong block mounts :roll:

Here's a little info for anyone else in the future searching.

Concerning block mounts: Turns out that there are different height mounts. There's a lot of good info about the years and style changes but I really was digging when I found the following information out. Hardtop mounts are "short" and the convertible mounts are "long".

From vintage-mustang.com "There is one design for small blocks for fixed roof cars, one for 'verts (and big blocks). The holes through the frame bracket are drilled differently, changing the position of the through hole for the bolt that holds the insulators to the frame bracket, thus the different insulators 'Verts use the "long style," hardtops (which includes sportsroofs) use the short style."

67 frame mount next to 68 frame mount:

From mercury-cougar.net: "On a 67 small block and a 67 big block they used the same frame brackets. There was only one left style and one right style for all 67 Mustang and Cougars with a V8. In 68 they changed the brackets on a small block but continued using the same one on a big block but on convertibles (Mustang obviously) with a small block they continued using the 67 small block insulators and the big block style brackets. This is what Ford did through 1970. All 68-70 closed cars with 289, 302, 351W or 351C used one style of frame bracket and all 67 289 and 67-70 390, 428 and 67-70 289, 302, 351W, 351C, 390, and 428 convertibles used the other style frame bracket. This makes it very difficult because the insulator used on the small block convertible and 67 289 is special and very hard to get. When you go to most places the parts book show the same insulator for 66-70 Mustang and Cougar but this information is wrong and convertible and 67 289 owners know this all too well. Originally Ford sold two different small block insulators. There was a C7ZZ-6038-E (plus additional numbers for revisions like the D0ZZ listed below) for 67 289 and all 67-70 small block convertibles (including 351C) and a C8ZZ-6038-A (plus additional numbers for revisions like the D0OZ number below) for all 68-70 small block closed cars. Just to make matters worse Ford was constantly changing these numbers and in the 1975 MPC it shows that 67's and convertibles with small blocks used a D0ZZ-6038-B mount and 68-70 closed cars with a small block used a D0OZ-6038-G mount."

Looking around the parts sites confirms this information.

Tall Style states...

Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

Motor Mount Insulator, Tall Style, for:
-11/1/65-1968 289 Mustang Convertible
-1968-1971 302 Mustang & Cougar all bodystyles except 1971 Convertible
-1969-1972 351W Mustang & Cougar Convertible
-1970-1972 351C Mustang & Cougar Convertible

Short Style States...

Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

Motor Mount Insulator, Short Style, for 1965-10/31/1965 289 Hardtop, 1968-1971 302, & 1969-1972 351C & 351W Hardtop.

So... with my new found knowledge I'm going to order up a set of clam shell mounts from Prothane. Will update this thread when they arrive.