Gathering parts for a V8 swap

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Coolball

Re: Gathering parts for a V8 swap

Post by Coolball »

Awesome links, thanks! I've been busy rounding up parts to get started and have the 302, C4, 8'' rear and the complete spindle assemblies in my posession. Waiting on a pair of GT40 heads from a 97 Mountaineer and still have to pull the master cylinder, lines and proportioning valve. Having a tough time finding some inexpensive 5 lug wheels to make it a roller which is why I haven't started yet.

I have a question on the motor mounts though before I buy. I see lots of types advertised for mustangs, falcons, comets, rancheros, maverick ect..
Some are two piece with intermediate mounts then motor mounts while some are one piece? How do I tell the difference?

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-1966- ... es&vxp=mtr

Are these what I need to buy? Logically I would think these would be the 2 piece ones and you would have the frame mount, then the motor mount then the block mounts :?:

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Those are the frame mounts,used through 1965 on Comets/Falcons.You also need a pair of intermediate mounts,kind of a lazy J shape with a stud on one side and a hole on the other,then left and right engine mounts. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Roy, so these would work for the V8 swap, now when you say intermediate does that refer to another piece that's part of the frame mount or is that something like the motor mount that can be had at the parts store? That is what's confusing me.

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

It's actually a third piece that goes in between th e cast frame mount and the rubber and metal motor mount. I don't think you'll find them at a auto parts store. There are originals on ebay ofter, or there are reproduction ones made. Like Roy said, they are a l shaped stamped steel piece with a stud on one side that goes through the hole in the cast frame mount. Here is a complete set and a pair of just the intermediate mounts on ebay. The intermediate ones are repro. MARK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-65-Ford-Must ... c6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1965-FALCO ... 58&vxp=mtr
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

ZRXwannabe

Post by ZRXwannabe »

You can get into the mounts for a lot less money. I got the frame mount for a 69 mustang of ebay for I think $68 plus shipping. then all you need is the rubber motor mount from any parts store, Advance was $9.99 a piece. Get the same year motor mount as the frame mount. So less then a hundred for every thing. The later mustange mounts are stronger also. I still haven't installed yet but according to what I've read this combo should work. Just need to avoid 67 stange and all convertable mounts. Don't know why there different but thats what I read.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The later mounts will work but they put the engine in a different location than stock,may not be an issue,but it caused a few head aches on a 64 Falcon which shares the same engine bay. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I used the 2 pc mounts in my 63 racecar and they were fine. I tried to use them in my 65 and they would not work. Off by over an inch from side to side? The only thing i can figure is the mustang mounts are different from a 65/66 to the 67/68. Is this possible? The mustang mounts i tried were from a 67. Maybe the mounting points are wider in the later mustang. They did put big blocks in these later mustangs. The towers could be further apart. I didn't put too much time into it at that time because i had a set of the 3 piece mounts also. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

ZRXwannabe

Post by ZRXwannabe »

I should be setting the engine in the bay by the end of next week so I'll find out what happens. Hope I didn't screw myself.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Good info, thanks! Didn't want to have to piece, piece, piece these together so disaster averted there, financially anyway since that would add up quick. Can someone link to a one piece for me so I know what to look for? Did they change to strictly a 1pc unit in certain years or was there a mix in the same years? I was reading about the 67 mustang mounts in my searching and what happened was Ford changed the mount for that one year 67 then went back to the previous design in 68 so that's why they say stay away from 67, because they're different and do not work. I also read they are left right specific to the engine bay but that could be the case for all.

I would like to get a one piece unit for a decent price because looking at the intermediate mounts of the two piece, for that price I'll make them lol! Plate steel and a wheel stud bolt is all they are..yikes.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

something like these? They just look so much different.... I can't really visualize how they work which is my entire problem lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-Ford- ... 1a&vxp=mtr

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Those look like the ones i used on my 63 comet. I think you may find them a little cheaper, but will have to clean them up. Here is a link for the style of motor mount that works with this frame mount. They take a long bolt that goes through from front to back. Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANCHOR-2257-Mot ... d5&vxp=mtr
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

ZRXwannabe

Post by ZRXwannabe »

Coolball wrote:something like these? They just look so much different.... I can't really visualize how they work which is my entire problem lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-Ford- ... 1a&vxp=mtr
Heres a link to a pair assembled completely and in good shape too. The bolts in the back slide through the frame rails. There is a right and left to them. LIke I said, The motor mounts 383merc posted I got at Advance auto parts for $9.99 a peice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-Ford- ... 4f&vxp=mtr

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Thanks for the link! Purchased them :D

ZRXwannabe

Post by ZRXwannabe »

Coolball wrote:Thanks for the link! Purchased them :D
Sweet.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Got the 302 tore down this weekend after some odd compression numbers and it looks like it's going to need some attention. Bores are all within rering specs and look great so that's a bonus. I'll ream the ridges and cross hatch for moly rings myself. The crank is already turned .010 but looking at the bearings I don't think it was surfaced right because everything is pretty chewed up including the front main which is now only copper showing left. The rest look normal but the crank journals are really chewed up? Makes me think it wasn't even polished. So the cranks going to have to be turned to .020 (hopefully, fingers crossed) that will clean it up. Also whoever drove in the cam bearings wasn't very delicate about it. I reached in with my needle nose pliers and was able to grab a rogue piece of metal that had been shaved off and was just hanging out there :shock: needless to say nothing ever got loose in the motor but I was surprised. The cam bearings will need replaced too not only because I don't trust the install but ones galled. I don't have the cam tool and I hear they can be tricky to do so I'll leave that to my machine shop.

More money that I want/have to spend on this project right now but I'll feel much better knowing the motors solid.