Need some timing help

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Ojohnny

Re: Need some timing help

Post by Ojohnny »

Thermostat opens at 160° on the stove. It does not have a bypass hole in in though so I will drill one before I put it back in. I ordered a fan shroud from CJpony this morning and I will wait to put it all back together when it shows up next week. Back to school tomorrow so no time to work on till next weekend anyway.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/engine-fan-s ... 7AodQWYAdQ

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:POP;I was trying to be "Politically Correct" in my answer on the BFH!! The F stands for a word that is not PC!!!! ROY.
POP knows Z'actly what BFH stands for :!: :lol: :lol: POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Hate to say this,,,but I'd bet the block is clogged,,knock the easyist freeze plug out and then you'll know for sure,,as far as sticking a hose in the front like in pic ,,the water is coming out thru the least resistion,,with water pump on and turning with water under pressure it has to follow a certain route,,but it's a different story like in the picture JMO.....POP
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

POP;I figured you knew!!!! I was just trying to be nice!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:POP;I figured you knew!!!! I was just trying to be nice!!!! ROY.
ROY,I knew you knew that I knew,(thats a mouth full,can you repeat it 5times real fast?)....after all a man don't get into his 60's and don't learn sump-in :lol: :) 8) pop
pop/glenda

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

Got it all put back together on Sunday and so far no more overheating, drove her to work every day this week. I don't think the block is clogged, pretty sure radiator was just plum plugged up from rust /scale breaking loose from the crankcase. When I flushed out the radiator I got a pretty big mound of s*%t out of it. Fan shroud has been on back order for weeks and finally shipped on Tuesday, here is the gauge after 40 minutes in stop and go traffic this afternoon. I'm sure the shroud will help even more.

Street Machine Nationals are in town this weekend so we will see how she runs tomorrow and Saturday night in cruising traffic. Should be a good weekend with thousands of cars out to play, this show always has a really good turnout.

http://www.streetmachinenationals.net/

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YEARS ago I put a 66 289 in a 65 pick up,,my temp gauge read higher then I liked,,and I knew the motor was running cool,so I started changeing temp sending units,had a pocket full of them that I had collected thru the years,,when I put one in ,I'd drive it down the road get it up to normal heat and look at the needle on the gauge,I changed 3or4 til I found one that made the needle set where I wanted it to,,I still have that truck and I've had 3 and 4spd trans in it ,it now has an AT with power steering,wish I had a nickle for every mile it has pulled a race car ,a race truck and other loads on a trailer,,,your motor may not be as hot as you think it is......thats JMO...POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You could do with a filter. I want to try this one when I get my car finished. for another 5 bucks they have a magnet that fits in it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tefba-Inline-Co ... b9&vxp=mtr
Johno

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

poboyjo65 wrote:You could do with a filter. I want to try this one when I get my car finished. for another 5 bucks they have a magnet that fits in it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tefba-Inline-Co ... b9&vxp=mtr
Looked at one of those and a Ganno filter at over $100 but I'm a cheapskate. Made this out of a $10 stainless steel tea strainer.

figure i will pull the hose off in another week or two and see what's in it.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

You will not believe how much crap is in the cooling system!! An engine block,especially old ones,flakes off constantly,I learned this the hard [expensive] way!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I dump the water out of my motor after racing season and put in anti freeze and then dump the anti freeze in the spring. Lots of crap comes out every time.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

Still looks pretty good no more boiling over! I might have to pull the 160° thermostat and put a 180° back in it now if I want any heat this fall. :)