Want Better Sounding Pipes?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
albert

Want Better Sounding Pipes?

Post by albert »

My 65 Caliente with a stock 289 currently has real dual exhaust with Hedman shorty headers and an H pipe with generic no brand mufflers that look like Flowmasters. When I rebuilt the exhaust I left the existing mufflers which were nearly new on the car, the muffler shop said I would appreciate that they were not loud. However I have never been happy with the lack of sound but don't know what will give me that mellow throaty sound without creating cabin noise. Maybe that's not possible. Way back in the day I had dual Walker glass packs installed at the rear of my 64 Caliente 289 stock and it sounded great. Any suggestions? I know this topic has been beaten to death on the Forum before.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Re: Want Better Sounding Pipes?

Post by popscomet »

ALBERT,sounds to me you answered your own question,,the walker mufflers put out a sound you liked on the 64 ,,so put them on your 65, cause your gonna get so many,JMO's,,to me and this is JMO,,it takes some compresion to make any other then a bone ass stock truck muffler sound good. BUT good luck in your choice,,,pop :D
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I also want mine to have a healthier sound. The Cherry Bomb turbos sound nice but still no authority. so I will be switching to glasspacks. just picked mine up from Summit today. Of course knowing how those sound won't be able to sneak out of the neighborhood then. But not too worried about it either.
Ron

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

The cyclone is getting magnaflows, my 63 falcon has flowmasters that I will probably change to Borlas.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Magnaflow Ultraflows,quiet until you stand on it!! I run 3 inchers on my 65,so quiet at idle and at cruise!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Give IMCO a look, I have them on several of my cars and really like the sound. Dynomax is another offering to consider.. Whatever you choose, I think you will like it.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I used Dynomax ultraflows on my 65 Cyclone they are mellow at cruise but when you are on it they have a strong tone to them.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I went with the Jones Exhaust max flow, they are like a magnaflow knock off from what I have read. pretty quite when cruising with out the flowmaster drone but bark nicely when you stand on it. I'm very happy with them and they are stainless which I like.

Ant

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

:)
Last edited by Tims1965MercuryComet on Sat May 28, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

I like glass packs. They are pretty quiet if you have an H pipe xover. Very loud without the xover. I like the glasspacks with the louvered inside. It makes a difference which direction the gas goes through them, soundwise. Also, most exhaust systems are too large in diameter. It is of no use to have a 3" dual system on an anything like normal 289, or even a very built up one. Think about how HEAVY it is. Racing? Equal length long tube headers. Need a street system that sounds good without being obnoxious and lasts a long time? It has to flow. In order to flow the system has to be hot all the way out the back or quickly cooling exhaust gases slow down and stack up. This is why factory systems have a little back pressure engineered into them and the tailpipe is always smaller than the primary pipe. To keep the velocity at the same rate all the way out. I'm not saying stock systems are better. You can certainly improve performance with a well thought out exhaust that increases flow for an engine that needs it. An h pipe is a proven torque booster also.
I had an 88 Caravan that went to the boneyard with 240,000 miles on it and a completely original exhaust that was still in good shape[before I cut the cat off anyway] 2" duals with an h pipe is plenty big for a 289. And, Pops is absolutely correct about cam and compression in the way it sounds.
Last edited by Tbart on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

I have stock manifolds, 2" true duels w/ glasspacks, exit the rear bumper. not too loud in the cabin but loud behind me. I bought shorty heddmans, and am thinking about going to 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 pipes and new glasspacks. Not sure about h-pipe. What does a larger pipe due to the sound?
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

albert

Post by albert »

wgreggking wrote:I have stock manifolds, 2" true duels w/ glasspacks, exit the rear bumper. not too loud in the cabin but loud behind me. I bought shorty heddmans, and am thinking about going to 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 pipes and new glasspacks. Not sure about h-pipe. What does a larger pipe due to the sound?
So, your glasspacks are mounted up under and beside the gas tank? You get loud sound at the back and not much noise under the floorboards, right? That's how I had my 64 Comet Caliente 289 stock set up way back in 1966, had Walker glasspacks, thinking of doing that again, however wonder if I just put glasspacks where existing mufflers are right now, which is right under the front seats. Thoughts?
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I will be replacing the turbo mufflers which are under the rear floor area just in front of the axle. Cherry Bomb glasspacks will be going in their place. No crossover. If they are too load I have 12" resonators to go behind the axle to bring the sound down a little. A crossover could be added also if needed.
When I was building Comechero I moved the gas tank to the center for equal space on both sides. Early falcons especially rancheros and wagons always had the tank offset and the original single muffler was always on the right side of the tank.
Ron

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

Comechero65 wrote:I will be replacing the turbo mufflers which are under the rear floor area just in front of the axle. Cherry Bomb glasspacks will be going in their place. No crossover. If they are too load I have 12" resonators to go behind the axle to bring the sound down a little. A crossover could be added also if needed.
When I was building Comechero I moved the gas tank to the center for equal space on both sides. Early falcons especially rancheros and wagons always had the tank offset and the original single muffler was always on the right side of the tank.
Ron
The glasspacks on my Comet are placed the same as Ron's. No cross over and the tail pipes over the axel and just past the bumper.

Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

So, your glasspacks are mounted up under and beside the gas tank? You get loud sound at the back and not much noise under the floorboards, right? That's how I had my 64 Comet Caliente 289 stock set up way back in 1966, had Walker glasspacks, thinking of doing that again, however wonder if I just put glasspacks where existing mufflers are right now, which is right under the front seats. Thoughts?
Mine are under the rear seat ahead of the axle they are about 24' long red in color not sure what brand.There is some drone, minor, but i can listen to the stereo just fine. GK
Image 64 caliente 302 auto