289 intake set up

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
oldhot65

289 intake set up

Post by oldhot65 »

OK got my 289 2bl on the engine stand, runs good but would like to replace 2bl with 4bl system but I'm looking for something that runs right out of the box with very little added work. Any help. Got a love the flat tappet sound.

ants875

Re: 289 intake set up

Post by ants875 »

Maybe you have posted this already but what has been done to the motor? is it pretty much stock? if so a lot of guys like the edlebrock carbs, I personally have not seen the best quality control in them but they are easy to set up since all you do is adjust the idle mixture screws and set you high and base idle. I have a quickfuel carb on my motor and am very happy with it, they are pretty easy to setup I got my engine builder to help since the first carb of theirs that I have run. they have changeable air bleeds that help you get the idle mixture perfect. you do also have the four corner idle system on them as well. they do take a little more tinkering then the edlebrock but if you have a performance built motor they may be the way to go. one thing for sure is you will get a bunch of different replies since we all have our opinions and also what works for us.

My 2 cents
Ant

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Just do like Joe did,factory four barrel intake and Carb.! I used a stock out of the box EDELBROCK on my 302,used it to replace a broken Motorcraft four barrel! Which ever way you go,try to stay in the 600 to 650 CFM range! JMO , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

oldhot65

Post by oldhot65 »

Motor is stock. Leaning toward edelbrock package right now nice price on combo carb/intake 870.00 would like to stick with Manuel choke or no choke at all. Carb is a 600cfm performer, from what I've been reading its easy to set up. Would like more info tho.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

oldhot65 wrote:Motor is stock. Leaning toward edelbrock package right now nice price on combo carb/intake 870.00 would like to stick with Manuel choke or no choke at all. Carb is a 600cfm performer, from what I've been reading its easy to set up. Would like more info tho.
they don't get much easier then the edelbrock, for the most part they are just like adjusting a factory carb, you get the motor warmed up and use either a vacuum gauge or a tach. you adjust the idle air screws to get either the highest vacuum or rpm (depending on if you are using a vacuum gauge or tach) then set you base idle. you should do that a couple times to make sure you have it right. that's about all there is to it. I personally prefer a good tach, I always use my timing light since its digital display. I found with my motor that I had very little vacuum change but could see rpm changes.

My 2 cent
Ant

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The factory 4v is probably the simplest . finding a good one might not be as simple. an edelbrock for a stockish motor, as has been said,(not too big) is probably the simplest quickest way to go & if so I suggest setting the floats before you put it on even though it says ''ready to run out of the box'', in the manual it suggests setting the float. it is easy & fine tuning it is probably the easiest to learn. I had a flat spot on a 600 cfm, a very slight hiccup when cruising a stockish 302 just off idle. I bought the springs & metering rods kit (about $40) & dialed it in. very easy to do (on the car without gas spillage) after some reading of the manual. It also had a dvd with it that was helpful.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

my DEAL deal with edelbrock carbs,is if the comet sets for 4/5days or longer,seems it cranks alot to pick it's prime up,but if started everyday or 2 it busts right off,,altho,I have 2 500's with manual choke,I do not have the chokes useable,when it startes ,I goose it a couple of times and walk off and let idle and warm up,been these way for years,and I took both carbs right out of the box and bolted them on ,they have never been touched,period. I have gave thought to putting a choke cable on the rear one,but the way it works and has worked for all these years ,it just ain't at the top of my bucket list.....pop
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

I had a 600cfm Holley 4150 on an Edelbrock performer and found it was too much. Took me a while to find an original Autolite 4100 which is 480cfm. Put this original factory carb with a one inch spacer on the performer intake and the car runs a lot better and very easy to adjust.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

albert wrote:I had a 600cfm Holley 4150 on an Edelbrock performer and found it was too much. Took me a while to find an original Autolite 4100 which is 480cfm. Put this original factory carb with a one inch spacer on the performer intake and the car runs a lot better and very easy to adjust.
I have some of those 4100's,wonder how 2 of those would work?...those are neat carbs,,,simple little dudes,,,,
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

Pops, if those carbs have the right numbers and are in good condition they sell for upwards to $500 a piece.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Weiand Stealth intake and an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb with electric choke. Worked just fine right out of the box and starts very easy even after several days of sitting. The Autolite is a great carb and will easily bolt up to your current throttle linkage. The Edelbrock was a bit of a pain to hook up the stock throttle linkage so I installed a Lokar throttle cable, kick down and gas pedal. Works great and a snap to install. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

albert wrote:Pops, if those carbs have the right numbers and are in good condition they sell for upwards to $500 a piece.
thanks ALBERT,,,I can go out to my shop and put my hands on 2 maybe 4 right know ,,had them for years and my buddy has as many or more then I do.....will have to check if they are the money carbs.. POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

gmsnowball wrote:Weiand Stealth intake and an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb with electric choke. Worked just fine right out of the box and starts very easy even after several days of sitting. The Autolite is a great carb and will easily bolt up to your current throttle linkage. The Edelbrock was a bit of a pain to hook up the stock throttle linkage so I installed a Lokar throttle cable, kick down and gas pedal. Works great and a snap to install. Good luck on whatever you decide.
GARY,have the same intake on my 84 Mercury capri,that has a very very stout 5.0 5spd ,built it 20trs ago with my son to run a couple of chevy boys at the RailRoad and just plain play with on the street,,,,it'll run off and hide from my comet,,,only I have a 600 holly with a manual choke...JMO but I think the holly is better....pop
pop/glenda

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

I like Holley's, I run a 750 DP on my Ranchero, it runs great and hits hard but it is way too much carb for the Comet. :shock:

Had hoped to make it to Eureka Springs this year but they moved the location of the Hillbilly Dual Sport to the HUB just south of Harrison. The dates conflict with the Street Rod Nationals in OKC so I am now between a rock and hard place. Still haven't figured out how to be in two places at once. :mrgreen:

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have a stout 63 390 in my 1966 swb pu,,I;ve brought it out of retirement and will be puttin a 600 on it ,,I have a 750 dp but am going with the smaller holly,,at least to start off with....GARY....I have a 67 ranchero,have had it since back in late 70's or early 80's,,IT was a 3spd standard on the column when new,had a AT when I got it,,,,,has a 302,,,pulled the motor rebuilt it and painted the engine comp and repainted the inside of the cab and had the seat redone and found everything correct for it and swapped back to a standard shift,,,,it's sitting over at my old shop ,,ain't seen it in years,,I go over there every month to collect rent,,think I'll see if all is well with it,,just remembered,I had the correct RAD rebuilt for it,,I think it has a 4bbl on it......think I know where I'm going in the morning...............pop
pop/glenda