Dual exhaust with power steering?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
cyclone460

Dual exhaust with power steering?

Post by cyclone460 »

Everybody did so great on my intake manifold question, I would like to pick your brains again if you dont mind .Is there such a thing? My single exhaust cross pipe from the drivers exhaust manifold was cut and re routed under the power slave cylinder to make dual exhaust. That pipe hangs way to low for my liking. I would like to use a stock dual exhaust system but don't know if it was offered with power steering. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Lou's Comet

Re: Dual exhaust with power steering?

Post by Lou's Comet »

As far as I know none of the Comets in 65 came with duals.

Lou

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

there was an over the counter dual exhaust system available through the parts but nothing factory installed.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

NO 'factory' dual exhaust,even the 271HP289 had single exhaust!!Never did a PS car but on V-8 Falcons/Comets,I've had the exhaust pipes tucked up tight [enough room for heat to escape] to the firewall/floors! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

albert

Post by albert »

Go to a good exhaust shop that does mandrel bending and they can make up a dual exhaust system that will look factory when done. Don't get too committed to having factory original for an exhaust system on our Comets, especially if you want performance increase and nice sounding pipes.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

The dual exhaust system I have sounds great but the jury rigged pipe from the manifold and around the p.s. cylinder hangs a bit low.I was looking for a better way. I have a 65 mustang convertible with power steering and the dual pipes clear fine from the factory. It's funny they couldn't design the same for our Comets. Especially the 271 HP! Thanks everyone!

comethead

Post by comethead »

For a clean dual installation you gotta get rid of the stock wacky LH exhaust manifold.
I'm using a Maverick LH manifold and it clears everything and is at a good angle for the pipe going to the rear.
They come up on eBay sometimes.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

comethead wrote:For a clean dual installation you gotta get rid of the stock wacky LH exhaust manifold.
I'm using a Maverick LH manifold and it clears everything and is at a good angle for the pipe going to the rear.
They come up on eBay sometimes.

Joe
That sounds like a great idea. It will look stock and I would store the original manifold and could always put the original single exhaust back if I wanted. What year Maverick did you use? Thanks

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Been there, done that. Bruce provided excellent info on the dual exhaust question and the Maverick manifold. I found one on flea bay for under $40.00 and it made the install simple. I have provided a link to the discussion on this forum below.

http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... old#p44221

Good luck, it makes the Comet sound great

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I used the Maverick Granada drivers side manifold on mine. 72 to 75 approx. Clears the steering box with no problem and should flow almost as well as a Hi-po manifold which are difficult to fit early comets and falcons.
Ron

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

Very nice, excellent idea! Thats what I'm going to do. Thanks so much. :D

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

I ended up putting headers on my '66 which also has power steering. The headers were going to interfere with PS steering cylinder but I found a bracket that allowed me to detach the cylinder from the frame and move it down about 2 inches. Worked perfect. Not sure if you will have any problems like this but I figured I would mention it just in case you run into it after engine install.

dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DCDUCK...Ol POP did the same on a 67 FB S'tang,I built for my at the time ,15 yro daughter,,she's 44 now and still has it.....she just had to have headers,,,but that bracket made it all work......glad you got what you wanted....POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I ended up using the mustang hi-po H-pipe on my setup. I had to shift the left side pipe forwards about an inch since the Mav/Gran manifold is about an inch further forward than the hipo manifold which I couldn't use. I also had to shorten the down leg from the manifold as the pipes hung further below the floor on a falcon compared to a mustang. I also eliminatrd the crossiver as I didn't like where it was located. Haven't decided yet whether I will put one back on or just leave it off. sounds pretty damb good as it is. I have Cherry Bomb glasspacks on it now which is what makes it sound so good.
Ron

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Dave, be aware if you use the drop down bracket for the power ram to get more room for the exhaust, the drop down bracket is weak and will cause flex and seperation from the frame if left as is. It needs to be either reinforced or welded to the frame.
Watch this video and it will open your eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtshfI ... B&hl=en-GB

The bracket can be made stronger and will then work without worry.
Ron