Dual exhaust with power steering?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
dcducks1

Re: Dual exhaust with power steering?

Post by dcducks1 »

Ron,
I haven't noticed any looseness in the steering but I will definitely get under the car this weekend and see if there is any movement. That is totally not cool to have that flexing like that, that could be a very bad day!

dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I'm not saying you have any looseness in the steering at least not immediately. Watch the video and you'll see it will happen eventually not necessarily right away. 'Ultimate failure' is the name.
If you weld the drop down bracket to the frame or re-enforce it someway then it would be fine and you should have no problem with it.
Ron

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Ron,
Mine might be made of something a little more durable because I have no movement at all. It is flush tight to the frame and not budging at all. I also looked the system over real good and it occurred to me that this is just an "assist" to my steering and a complete bracket failure would not cause a steering issue. By the looks of it, I should be able to cut the two hyd lines and still drive this thing anywhere. Does that sound about right?

Dave

Groover

Post by Groover »

well, yes... you could run without the hydraulic, but I wouldn't. The pitman is moving the ball stud that moves inside the control valve, that moves the fluid in the valve, that pushes and pulls the cylinder/ram (with little to no resistance on the ball stud). Without hydraulic fluid, the pitman uses the ball stud as a mechanical lever to drag the control valve to drag the drag link... and that's a lot of torque on that ball stud (moving inside a copper sleeve). Only a matter of time before you damage that sleeve and/or the ball stud crushes the sleeve and slips out.

Worse would be bracket failure with hydraulic still attached, because then you'd have a crazy wild 1000 psi smashing ram underneath your car bashing into and out of the frame rail or whatever else it can hit every time you turn the wheel, (ask me how I know).
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

How do you know? :lol:
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:How do you know? :lol:
See related post under "Father Son..." :oops:
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Without the steering being powered by hydraulic power the steering would be very loose and sloppy plus the wear factor would be be increased. The ford was neverf designed to be driven unpowered. As far as the ram goes the drop down bracket for it is weak and a poor design when used as is. You may not have any movement now but just wait. Then you can make your own video just like the Stangerssite video.
I had the ford factory power steering on mine and i modifed the bracket to make it stronger even though I wasn't using it in the drop down position. I have since removed all of the ford stuff and replaced it with EPS.
Ron

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

Comechero65 wrote:I used the Maverick Granada drivers side manifold on mine. 72 to 75 approx. Clears the steering box with no problem and should flow almost as well as a Hi-po manifold which are difficult to fit early comets and falcons.
Ron
Thanks! . I now have the manifold but it seems there should be some special shoulder bolts or sleeves for the large hole flanges on the manifold. I've been looking but no luck. Any info where I can get them would be appreciated!

comethead

Post by comethead »

I used the same manifold and it didnt need any special bolts or sleeves that I remember.
Were the flange holes drilled out?
Cant remember but did later heads use larger bolts for the exhaust manifolds?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

comethead wrote:I used the same manifold and it didnt need any special bolts or sleeves that I remember.
Were the flange holes drilled out?
Cant remember but did later heads use larger bolts for the exhaust manifolds?

Joe
The holes weren't drilled out. I noticed this on other manifolds also.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

cyclone460 wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:I used the Maverick Granada drivers side manifold on mine. 72 to 75 approx. Clears the steering box with no problem and should flow almost as well as a Hi-po manifold which are difficult to fit early comets and falcons.
Ron
Thanks! . I now have the manifold but it seems there should be some special shoulder bolts or sleeves for the large hole flanges on the manifold. I've been looking but no luck. Any info where I can get them would be appreciated!
When I installed the mav/gran manifold on mine I noticed the holes were a little larger so I fab'd sleeves for a couple of the bolts that centered the manifold better. Chose two bolts that centered them best and that worked out. Then the remainder of the bolts went in with no interference. Don't know if anyone makes bolts with a shoulder on them so just made my own sleeves.
Used the same bolts as for the Hipo headers for the correct lengths.
Ron

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

Comechero65 wrote:
cyclone460 wrote:
Ron
When I installed the mav/gran manifold on mine I noticed the holes were a little larger so I fab'd sleeves for a couple of the bolts that centered the manifold better. Chose two bolts that centered them best and that worked out. Then the remainder of the bolts went in with no interference. Don't know if anyone makes bolts with a shoulder on them so just made my own sleeves.
Used the same bolts as for the Hipo headers for the correct lengths.
Ron
Thanks again for that great idea! I just asked a person on ebay about the same manifold and asked about the bolts. He said, the 2 smaller holes are for lining up the manifold and the other 6 bolts are standard manifold non shouldered and no sleeves with the manifold locking washers like what I see in your picture. I like your idea about the fab'ed sleeves and will do that. Thanks

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

It appeared as all the holes were all the same size. By trial I found two that appeared to center it the best. Made my own sleeves for the two bolts to just fit the holes in the manifold. If I ever pull the headers I just have to make sure to put the bolts back in the same holes.
Ron