Hey Roy, found out why no power

390 & up cid Monster Motors
alans 64

Hey Roy, found out why no power

Post by alans 64 »

still perplexed as to what happened. found this when I checked the rocker assys again after putting it all back together. push rods were the 9.10 and the old ones were the 9.28 or 9.68. can't remember since at work and don't have the spec's in front of me. scary thought what might have happened if one of the lifters had come out. oh well, back to basics and rebuild for the 3rd time. one of the lifter seats was gone so I guess in the pan, hate to pull it but better be safe. the other was in the lifter valley. the 3rd lifter was still together but you could tell where the push rod had been hitting against it.

alan

64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

pro64

Re: Hey Roy, found out why no power

Post by pro64 »

have u checked for coilbind on the valve springs. stock or performance cam,

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

pro64 wrote:have u checked for coilbind on the valve springs. stock or performance cam,

haven't checked that far yet, but will. just pulled the top end again. not quite enough rtv on the back of the intake. and the valve covers have been off and on so many times the gaskets also need replaced.

on the springs: 1.450 vale double springs. cam is bullet 244 duration at .050, 110 separation, lobe lift .3400, duration at .006 298, gross valve lift .588, intake lobe degree 106, valve lash hot .000.

all spec's off the cam card. pretty salty cam and we also have it advanced 4° cam was degreed in on assy and all clearances checked. all problems started when cam bolt came loose and dowel bent and let go. luckily was idleing and no damage after tear down. blue loctite and lock washer didn't quite work out as intended, back to gether with red this time. also partly my fault on the dowell. the orig dowell was good so used it, but didn't take into consideration that the stock timing gear was single roller and went back with double, so dowell was too short to come all the way out and be againist the washer on the gear. when bolt got loose the gear wiggled the dowell was short and bent and allowed the gear to just spin and shut all down. oh well, that hot rodding, just ask Roy.

btw, think I have solved my cooling issues so far. built a shroud for the rad and so far so good, seems to hold temp at 190 w/ fans on. haven't had any more 100 °+ days to really try it out. did talk to the rad mfg and said he will work with me if this can't cool it. I have a 3 core 1" right now and may swap for a 4 core cross flow for a fox body. time will tell.

alan

here's a couple of pict of it. got my fingers crossed, can't lower the fans anymore to center in the shroud, right now only 1/2" away from the water pump shout.

64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Nice looking shroud. That should take care of it. No more 100 degree days lately huh, you guys had about 60 of those this summer didn't you?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Alan;sorry I missed your earlier post,OUCH!!! I don't think the shorter push rods would have let the lifters out.I think I would pull the pan to check a few bearings beside getting the seat out and any other stuff that may have gotten in there.You may want to get a length checking push rod and make sure of the proper length you need.You want the tip of the rocker to stay as close to centered on the valve tip as possible through the entire rotation.I like your fans and shroud setup! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

pro64

Post by pro64 »

awsome looking shroud u may consider a leakdown test all cylinders . timing gear bolt backing off,opens door for a bent valve... if crank is turning and cam stopped then u may bend pushrods and or valves.... leakdown will eliminate that possability . u are looking for equal pressure not highest good luck pro64................

comethead

Post by comethead »

Bumping the spam bozos from the top.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

I agree when my cam gear bolt came loose it bent all 16 valves. :evil: I also had to upgrade from the standard Comp Cam push rods to the Magnum even when I had the small E303 cam as my machinest said they would flex at above 5,000 rpm and it cured my push rod problem.
pro64 wrote:awsome looking shroud u may consider a leakdown test all cylinders . timing gear bolt backing off,opens door for a bent valve... if crank is turning and cam stopped then u may bend pushrods and or valves.... leakdown will eliminate that possability . u are looking for equal pressure not highest good luck pro64................

pro64

Post by pro64 »

yea if u want to twist the motor up a little always good insurance to have some durable parts.. thus the saying u want to play u got to pay...