FE power

390 & up cid Monster Motors
Cyclone390GT

FE power

Post by Cyclone390GT »

Just curious how much power your putting down with your FEs and what all you guys have done to them.

As for me, my GT390 is pretty much stock with the exception of being punched .040 over and the addition of the electronic ignition and 1 5/8 Hooker Super Comps. As far as power goes, I dont even want to guess, since I am sure it is lower than what I would expect.
Mike Grammer

jahearne

FE power

Post by jahearne »

My modifications to GT390 are:
SCJ 428 cylinder heads
Police Interceptor Aluminum Intake
FPA tri-y headers
Pertronix
Fluid dampener

This project is still in the works and is not on the road yet, but with the increase in the top-end breathing should make a huge difference.

John
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the mornining that's the best that they are going to feel all day. Frank Sinatra

mejsap

FE Power

Post by mejsap »

I am currently building a very mild 427 for my '65 Cyclone A/fx replica. It has trw 10.5 to 1 pistons with a 4.250 bore. A Ford solid lifter cam with slightly ported Edelbrock heads and a Tunnel wedge intake with twin 650 Holleys. I plan to run the car on pump gas and expect around 500 horse.

70snake

Post by 70snake »

Have had a 502 hp, 428 CJ in my Shelby for years. I'm finally gathering the pieces to put a 750 hp 427 together for my 65 Comet. 485 stroker, .700 lift solid cam, 12.7-1 comp., 2" primary headers, and a 200hp shot of gas. :D I would be interested to know if anyone has actually run a .700 or larger lift solid in an FE, and how it actually ran. The cam is a discontinued Crane grind.
62 Econoline pickup (428 mid engine)
65 Comet A/FX clone
06 Mustang GT(that thinks its a '69 mach)
and a collection of FE "junk"

cyclone67

Post by cyclone67 »

best i pulled outta a fe was 702 @7600 the cam was a .715 /.725 unit idled at about 2200 the best advice i can give ya is use a 391 industrial crank and ofset grind it for your stroker the 391 unit is a steel crank you will have to regrind the snout for a car type balancer ect
Wade ``MERC MAN`` Robertson

karnage

Re: FE power

Post by karnage »

GT block and heads, fully ported and polished big valves.428 crank, .030 about 11:1 compresison.300/310 with around .650 lift, long tube headers.Was putting down over 400HP.I am going thru the engine again to freshen it up and its getting aluminum heads, full roller cam,lifters and rockers.main journal bracing, steel crank dual quads.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Well my 66 GT was rated at 335hp from the factory. The only changes I have made are bored .030, Edelbrock Intake and a 750 Holley along with a Comp cams; I can't remember which one now but I really doubt that those things add a lot of ponies to the car. The exhaust arrangement is the short fall and I'm looking for more positive results from owners of the FPA tri-wye headers. I'd like to here some one with a direct before and after comparison because by the time the headers are installed along with larger pipes I'm looking at spending $1100. If I couldn't feel a definite seats of the pants increase in performance I would leave that cash in my pocket for something else. I do not want to put the other headers on because of the low ground clearnace.

LR

PS According ot Holley's carb size calculator I'm over carbed. I had to jet it up quite a bit to get a good plug reading though. I'd like to throw a 570 or a 600 on it just to see.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I bought a new 67 390 FB GT mustang( still have the old body)it too was rated at 335 hp,was told it had a 715 cfm holly...pop
pop/glenda

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Hey Pop, One of my best friends has a 68 GT 428 4 speed Cobra Jet. We just pulled out the original motor and trans for safe keeping and built a pretty strong 428 CJ with a C6 trans so he could bracket race it a little bit. That thing's got enough torque to peel the paint off! Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MARK,that 390 in that FB was the hardest runnin motor I nearly ever saw,2yrs later after buying it ,I had to get rid of it cause the law was wanting to pull my driver lic and my car tags,I honestly had guys coming to my house to run it,I could not buy car insureance and we took the land and house out of my name and put everything in wife's name,street race that mustang almost cost me my wife and son. I took wife to hosp to give birth to my daughter and brought them both home in it, ON the way home I looked at that baby girl in her arms and that boy in the back seat and I told GLENDA,this mustang is history,its gone,by then I'd had a wreck (clipped a telephone pole) but had fixed it good as new)almost broke my neck,literly.I drove it to the town I live in now and I traded for a sharp 64 comet cyclone 2dr ht 289/auto,Many yrs later .had my son and his 67 FB 289 4spd on the drag strip and there was a red FB there that reminded me of my orig one but the owner was not liked by any one so I never went around it / him.YRS later an ad appeared in the paper,we went and looked at it and it was the same one I'd seen at the drag strip and YEP,it was my old mustang (about a 20yr span from time I traded it til I bought it back) I never done any thing with it ,it has so many memories and I came so close to pushing up daisies in it ,I just look at it.@ yrs ago I took it to my DAUGHTER/son in law's ,,told them fix it you can have it.SORRY for being so windy..........good luck //take care.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:MARK,that 390 in that FB was the hardest runnin motor I nearly ever saw,2yrs later after buying it ,I had to get rid of it cause the law was wanting to pull my driver lic and my car tags,I honestly had guys coming to my house to run it,I could not buy car insureance and we took the land and house out of my name and put everything in wife's name,street race that mustang almost cost me my wife and son. I took wife to hosp to give birth to my daughter and brought them both home in it, ON the way home I looked at that baby girl in her arms and that boy in the back seat and I told GLENDA,this mustang is history,its gone,by then I'd had a wreck (clipped a telephone pole) but had fixed it good as new)almost broke my neck,literly.I drove it to the town I live in now and I traded for a sharp 64 comet cyclone 2dr ht 289/auto,Many yrs later .had my son and his 67 FB 289 4spd on the drag strip and there was a red FB there that reminded me of my orig one but the owner was not liked by any one so I never went around it / him.YRS later an ad appeared in the paper,we went and looked at it and it was the same one I'd seen at the drag strip and YEP,it was my old mustang (about a 20yr span from time I traded it til I bought it back) I never done any thing with it ,it has so many memories and I came so close to pushing up daisies in it ,I just look at it.@ yrs ago I took it to my DAUGHTER/son in law's ,,told them fix it you can have it.SORRY for being so windy..........good luck //take care.....pop
I often thought mine was a 428 the way it performed,but it was a 390,you can have 10 just alike,,,1 will out do the other 9.....thats the 1 that I had.....pop
pop/glenda

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

NICE!!! I've always had small blocks, but my next purchase i'm woring on right now will eventually be FE powered. I'm already collecting parts and have a 428CJ block at the machine shop. We'll see. Later, Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MARK,I perfer the small blocks,thought about an FE in my factory five cobra,but the weight heating problems ,decided to build a 65 289,same as in my comet ,same cam same 2x4'sonly with a set of edelbrock alumn heads.2 yrs ago I got to looking thru stuff I had in back of shop,Came up with a standard bore 63 390,set of 63 406 heads,66 428 alumn PI intake for 1 carb,after market adjustsble rocker/shafts and a pr of tube headers for a 65/66 PU(didn't use the headers),put all of it together and put it in my 66swb PU in place of the 352 that came in it,that old trk came with a 3;50 single track gear in it ,trust me this ole truck will move you down the road,Last summer had lawn mower,weed eater rakes all kinds of yard equipt in the back going over to clean up some rental propty,some long haired hippy throw back from the 70's in a middle to late 70 chevy pu started snortin it beside me at the red light,,,I covered him like spreadin a blanket on the ground for a picnic with your favorite lady friend,got on down the road,looked over at Glenda and sorry about the rough jerk,she said I knew what was going to happen on the 3rd snort,then she smiled and said sll that gray hair hasn't slowed you much you crazy rascal !! PS---mighty glad the tail gate stayed latched...whew !!! pop.....also found a 3x2 set up for FE
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Well, I've got a set of FPA's on the way so we'll just see how much of a difference they make. I have a really nice dual exhaust with the H pipe on the car now; it'll have to be replaced with 2.5 inch. I could put my old exhaust on the Caliente but I am trying my best to leave it 289 2bbl single exhaust because it's nice to have a quiet ride every now and then. Not having a package tray on convertibles sure allows the exhaust to resonate at the 40-45mph range. Too much frankly.

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.