406 FE

390 & up cid Monster Motors
lowrider91

406 FE

Post by lowrider91 »

I have a lead on a complete 1963 tripower 406 for my Fairlane. What should look out for? What are the important # to look for? Thanks, Jim
It's like a Falcon only cooler!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 406 FE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Jim;Nice engine,I'm not sure about numbers but if you go to FORD FE.com,they have a lot of experts!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

Thanks Roy, I'll check it out. Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim, the book I have says late in 62 & 63 they changed to cross drilled mains . should be easy to spot those. it only gives one number for those, C2AE-BD . says they are rare. I dont fully trust this book but it is probably right. I have found mistakes in it before. good luck !!
Johno

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

Thanks John, those numbers are correct for the crossed drilled block. Very rare and expensive. I beleive they are a late production as they went to the 427 shortly after. I did some research on the 406 last night. The motor I am looking at is a 2 bolt main. It is partially disassembled and has about %95 of the parts. Missing 2 rods, pistons, cam and dist. Has complete tripower setup. Havn't talked numbers with the guy yet. I guessing with motor and finding missing parts and machine shop I'd be over 10k. Could probably build up a nice 390 for half that. Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ARE you aware that on a 64 or older FE,there is a difference in the location of the motor mount than on a 65 or newer. pop
pop/glenda

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

Thanks POP wasn't aware of that. I bailed on the motor. To much money to put it all together right now. Pretty rare motor. I think it should go back where it belongs in a 406 Galaxie thats being restored. Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have a pair of tri-pwr 406 heads on a 63 390 in my 66 pu,in order to use that block in the 65 or newer chassis,you either have to build a plate bolted to the block,then the mount bolts to the plate,or find the right off set mount,luckly I still had the correct mount in my junk box,but in the late 70's.I put a 64 352 in my 71 pu in place of a 240 6cyl and had to build a plate,been so long ago ,I think the plate ain't but a couple of in's wide.A few years later those 406 heads were called 428 CJ heads,best I recall it was the same head....good luck and have a good day..pop
pop/glenda

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Jim
I have some info on the 406 FE motor as I have a 62 406 Galaxie. All the 406 motors I've seen have the indention cast in the block for cross bolt mains but I have never seen one cross bolted I'm thinking all the cross bolted blocks went to Holman Moody etc. c2ae-j c2ae-k c2ae-v 62 c2ae-bd 62 cross bolted mains. c3ae-d c3ae-v . Look for HP cast on the right front of the block.
Judd

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

If I wanted an FE again, I would stay away from any "legendary" parts and start with a gutbucket 390 from an old wagon. Flat top pistons, 1/2" lift 280 degree cam, alum dual plane hi rise and a 650 double pumper. A good valve job on stone stock heads with improved springs. This recipe makes for a very powerful dependable engine. Of course, I understand the lure of rare,exotic parts and they add a "cool factor" that is hard to beat. That Tri-power 406 is a restorers dream come true and it would be fitting for it to find its original Galaxy. I sound like an old man but if you just want a hard running FE you can do better than the old stuff. Now, if your after rare and unique and totally cool, that's a whole different story. Cast iron headers? Sure! Why not? But a set of cheapie Hookers will run better and you don't have to lose any sleep over dinging them to clear your pitman arm. If I had a 406, I would do nothing but worry anywhere beyond 4500 RPM. [The 406 is what inspired cross bolted main caps] I guess they had bottom end problems on super speedways. Since I wouldn't be flooring it from here to Denver, it shouldn't be a problem. But just knowing that, it would always bug me and I would baby it. My rebuilt station wagon 390, however, could test the limits without worry or guilt. I DO admire your thinking though.

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

The popular 445 (390 stroker) is very affordable these days. Barry Rabotnick of Survival motorsports has a complete kit I think for less than 2K. The kit is crank, rods, bearings, pistons, rings. Use your own 390 block. Locally I can get 390 blocks for $100-$150. For about 4-5K you can get a really hot FE.

BTW, if you are really a FE fan you might want to check out the biggest, best and only FE show on the planet. The FE Race & Reunion at Beaver Springs Dragway in Pennsylvania. Check here http://www.fairlanet.com all the top FE engine builders will be there. It is a killer FE show. A few Comet & Falcon FE's as well. There is also a FaceBook page, look up FE Race & Reunion.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Fairlaniac, Wow! What a cool event! Great pictures. Thanks.