switching from a 4 lug to a 5 lug

The Round Body, Finned Comets
captian_napalm

switching from a 4 lug to a 5 lug

Post by captian_napalm »

I am looking to switch from the 13" 4 lug tires& rims, and want to go to a 5 lug rim. what size will work, and also looking into switching to power brakes. I know there are kits for the front, but what about for the rear?

poboyjo65

Re: switching from a 4 lug to a 5 lug

Post by poboyjo65 »

You'll need to get a different rearend. an 8in rear from a 70's maverick or comet will work . some 63's had 8in rear , the v8 cars, but probably hard to find. 64 & 65 comets & falcons 8'' will bolt on but are slightly wider & may pose problems unless you want a skinny tire.
Johno

Comechero65

Re: switching from a 4 lug to a 5 lug

Post by Comechero65 »

There was a brake booster used in the early comet/falcons that should fit your year but only with a single mc. Since you are intending on adding discs at least in the front you would want a dual mc which won't fit with the early booster. Not to mention they are more complex to install and you have to switch to a cable clutch or hydraulic clutch. Not a problem with auto trans though but still more work.
Some install the booster from a Geo but that is also a lot of work and uses an import style mc not the standard mc used on american cars.
I would recommend the compact 6" booster from ABSPowerbrake. It's a simple install. Mounts in the same location as the mc. Mounts any dual mc of your choice. And is compact enough to allow continued use of stock clutch setup.
I run that booster with a dual mc from a bronco II and it all fits and works perfectly. May be a little tight with the factory shock tower braces which could need some notching for clearance. Removing the shock tower braces and installing an export brace solves that issue and also gives better acces to the mc as well as the rear of the engine. I can post pics if interested.
Ron