Rear leaf locating pin hole size?

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Lip Ripper

Rear leaf locating pin hole size?

Post by Lip Ripper »

I just pealed the right side plate from the u-bolt's. The plate that bolt's up under the leaf spring's and locates the rear and is the lower shock mount. They've hogged out the locating hole. Presumably to move the rear back? Anyway I need to know what size that hole was so I can weld it back to the proper size. It also has an "L" for left on it but it is on the right. And they've cut the shock mounting ear's slanted them toward the front and welded them back. :shock:
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Re: Rear leaf locating pin hole size?

Post by Rocket989 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :?: Far as I know, except for Merc's with the iso-clamp setup, the center pin hole on the perches is 1/2" (measured with a tape - with calipers: .520). I used '67 'Stang shock plates (to accommodate the larger 3" axle tube) and the hole in them measures .655 - give or take a few thousandths; I measured them installed on the car with the center pin nut poking through so I couldn't use the inside ears on the calipers to measure.

If you're using a later 8" (?) with 3" tube, the '67 'Stang plates would be the quickest fix. It's all too easy to install the f'ing shock plates WRONG!! I was conscious of it and still forgot that the ribs on the plate run lateral/ across the spring - if they're running with it, the plates are on wrong! :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)