Brake conversion question: Front Disc - 1962 Comet

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Schooley

Brake conversion question: Front Disc - 1962 Comet

Post by Schooley »

While my '62 is in the shop for body work, I've been picking up various parts and interior fiddly bits to make her a bit cleaner and complete. I've also been looking into a conversion/swap of the front braking system. I've been scouring the forums and parts websites for the safest and most efficient front disk break kits. I've run into a lot of options, and I was wondering if I could get some talk from real Comet owners. I've seen the Granada swap, I've also read things about the proportioning value, and I've found kits that say I need to switch to a 63-65 upper control arm ... Assuming I have 14" 4-lug wheels on the car now, what would be the best and most complete packaged kit to go with? I would like to do this with as little conversion and unoriginal mangling as possible.

Thanks!
Last edited by Schooley on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schooley's project: Restoring a 1962 4-door Comet custom.

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Brake conversion question: Front Disc - 1962 Comet

Post by lavron »

I think that the Granda swap would probably be the least changing or the Scarebird conversion if it is 4 lug, I didn't notice if you had a 6 or a V8, 6 will be 4 lug and V8 5 lug, I do think you need to change control arms but it isn't that big a deal when doing the Granda swap.

I am not that familiar with '62s so one of the early guys will know all this for sure.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Schooley

Post by Schooley »

lavron wrote:I think that the Granda swap would probably be the least changing or the Scarebird conversion if it is 4 lug, I didn't notice if you had a 6 or a V8, 6 will be 4 lug and V8 5 lug, I do think you need to change control arms but it isn't that big a deal when doing the Granda swap.

I am not that familiar with '62s so one of the early guys will know all this for sure.

See Ya,
Mike
It's the stock '62 V6 with 4 lugs. I don't necessarily mind switching to a 14" or 15" 5 lug, if it's better, but I already have the 14" 4 lugs on the car.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If yours is a 4 lug, & you want to stay 4 lug ,I think scarebird is about the only option,but there may be others. I believe the Granada brakes only fit 5 lug spindles. Most people get away from the 4 lug because it limits the choice of wheel styles that are available . & the brake kits are few too.

If you have a 6cyl , after just stepping away from that F18, I figure it is only a matter of a few drives before you start thinking of a V8 :lol: :lol: also after those drives originality starts to take a backseat to safety, & you'll be thinking of how to make it drive better..

If you go V8 it opens many doors. The best & most popular upgrades for the earlier cars are;
V8
C4 ,4 or 5 sp
65 steering parts including spindles ( this is where you would need later UCA's & LCA's)
disc brakes
8'' rear (5 lug).

IF YOU USE v8 spindles, there are quite a few kits for disc brakes ,best bang for the buck is CSRP, which have several kits, some of them have the spindles if you need them, that have improved geometry over reg granada spindles.
Johno

Schooley

Post by Schooley »

poboyjo65 wrote:If yours is a 4 lug, & you want to stay 4 lug ,I think scarebird is about the only option,but there may be others. I believe the Granada brakes only fit 5 lug spindles. Most people get away from the 4 lug because it limits the choice of wheel styles that are available . & the brake kits are few too.

If you have a 6cyl , after just stepping away from that F18, I figure it is only a matter of a few drives before you start thinking of a V8 :lol: :lol: also after those drives originality starts to take a backseat to safety, & you'll be thinking of how to make it drive better..

If you go V8 it opens many doors. The best & most popular upgrades for the earlier cars are;
V8
C4 ,4 or 5 sp
65 steering parts including spindles ( this is where you would need later UCA's & LCA's)
disc brakes
8'' rear (5 lug).

IF YOU USE v8 spindles, there are quite a few kits for disc brakes ,best bang for the buck is CSRP, which have several kits, some of them have the spindles if you need them, that have improved geometry over reg granada spindles.
Jo, Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate all of your help!

My plan is to keep it as stock/stock looking as possible, while making it a good weekend cruiser. I'd like to use the old style Merc caps for the rims. I don't really have any intention of going to a fancy rim/wheel combo, except for maybe whitewalls. I found some covers on hubcaps.org that I like, and they are for 14"s and 15"s. The car has 4-lug 14"s right now, and I could go to a 15" if needed since I want new tires anyway. If this is workable, then I may go this direction. I like the idea of moving to a V8 ... but I don't know that I'm ready for that yet. :lol:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Schooley wrote:I like the idea of moving to a V8 ... but I don't know that I'm ready for that yet.
V8s are overrated :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

David,
I have some good information for you on the front disc brake conversion. We can talk when we hook up.
Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible