Stainless brake lines 1960 wagon

The Round Body, Finned Comets
1960comet

Stainless brake lines 1960 wagon

Post by 1960comet »

I lost a main brake line pulling into my garage yesterday. Dented up my tool box and tweaked my front bumper a bit, overall minmal damage. I need a good aource for high quality stainless brake lines for my 1960 Comet wagon.. any leads appreciated
**1960 Comet Wagon**

poboyjo65

Re: Stainless brake lines 1960 wagon

Post by poboyjo65 »

That is the bad thing about the single chamber MC's .a failure means no brakes. If you would of had a dual you wouldn't have lost all of your brakes, just front or back ,which ever let go,but the other would have still worked. It'd be a good time to upgrade.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Stainless is awful to cut and flare. It break's flaring tool's. I'm going to try a blended line mixture of copper and nickel. Google it. Niccop or something. I bought a whole kit with fitting's for around $30 on ebay. Let me go look it up.

Vendor was motorcitymusclecar.

Copper Nickel Brake Line Tubing Kit 3/16 OD 25 Foot Coil Roll all Size Fittings
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

prattlj

Post by prattlj »

Have never used hard stainless, but I just fashioned all new lines for my 62 S-22 Comet with standard (soft) steel lines. What made a huge quality of life difference, was my flaring tool - bought it for $40 on E-bay, and Eastwood also sells one. The chaps who make it are over in England so it took a while to ship over to the colonies. It's so simple and easy to use, even I could do it. It's specific to 3/16, so if you're wanting to work some 1/8 lines you'll need to get a 1/8 tool. There are tons of tools out there and most are pretty pricey (I have a couple worthless ones laying around), and many of them suck. Nothing pisses you off more than going through all the gymnastics to contort the line only to have a jacked up flare when you're done because of a Pappa Oscar Sierra (piece of :oops:) flaring tool from Harbor Freight. You can also get some pretty good deals on pre-made Falcon/Comet/Ranchero line kits from Mac's. In my case I had to customize all my lines because I upgraded to a 2-chamber master, a proportioning valve and front disk brakes. An exception was the rear axle crossover line - purchased a nice perfectly made stainless Mustang line from CJ Pony Parts because it didn't require unique bends and it's very visible when someone's checking out my ass. As poboy said, running around with single chamber master is risky behavior - if you're going to the trouble to replace lines you might consider a $50-80 dual chamber upgrade while you're at it and never worry about it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERHAND-PH-BF ... 19f490b700
Les Pratt
62 Comet S-22
Lynchburg, VA

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That is some dern good advice from the 2 gentlemen above! SS lines aren't all they're cracked up to be! :lol: The route I took for all new lines were from Oreilys, they have straight pre-flared sections in many lengths from 6'' up tp 5 ft. & they have inverted flared couplers to join 2 or more together. & not expensive either. I even used the larger diameter ones for my fuel lines. If you screw one up when bending it just go get another. the longest ones aren't much over 10 bucks. & they have a rust resistant coating on them.
Johno