New leafs for the 63 - kinda wordy.....

The Round Body, Finned Comets
rjones35

New leafs for the 63 - kinda wordy.....

Post by rjones35 »

Okay, so I got new springs a few weeks ago, just stock ones, for my 63. Ordered new stock shackles from Macs. Got everything and started replacing them last weekend. Ended up breaking one of the front bolts, the big one. Along with being a pain due to rust and not entirely knowing what i was doing, also turns out that the upper bushings in the shackle kit were wrong. I ordered a new front bolt, it wasn't cheap by the way, ordered new upper bushings. Got those the other day. The new bushings fit the new shackles but were really tight, like the bushing hole was a hair too small, or shackle too big. Once the new bushing was on the new shackle, it wouldn't go in the hole. I decided I could either keep searching for a different shackle set and send everything back and start over, or make the bushing hole bigger, or shackle smaller. Not really wanting to wait and go through returning things, I chose to make the shackle smaller, using the bench grinder and angle grinder. Woohoo, did it, it worked. Goto put it all together, and the new upper bushings are too wide, no threads sticking out. I decide to make them shorter by cutting off a little. Did it, it worked sort of. It seems like I cut off a hair too much, or that's just how it is. One side of the shackle is REALLY close to being on the frame. The other side, the outside I think, has a little lip, so it's fine. Worst case I guess is I have to replace the shackles and bushings and waste some (more) money.
Taking the springs out was tough, at least the first side, when I was figuring it out, and also before I brought out the Sawzall. Second one popped right out, broke the big bolt, cut the rest, BAM!! Putting them back in went ok. I couldn't get one of my new u-bolts to go, it just wouldn't line up, I fought it and fought it. Ended up using an old one, one I didn't cut. After that, the rest was easy. Except shocks, I still need to get the upper nut off. I cut the bottom off. I figure I'll wait until I get it back on the ground and see if I can climb in the trunk and get at them.

poboyjo65

Re: New leafs for the 63 - kinda wordy.....

Post by poboyjo65 »

So if you got thru all that with no dirty wordys you a strong man :D ! We're proud of you !!! I dont understand the new u bolt not working? :? why not?
Johno

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

"I figure I'll wait until I get it back on the ground and see if I can climb in the trunk and get at them."

You can go in the trunk, but they're behind the back seat...

Comet Bruce

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote:So if you got thru all that with no dirty wordys you a strong man :D ! We're proud of you !!! I dont understand the new u bolt not working? :? why not?
I'm not sure exactly. No matter what I did I couldn't get both sides to line up. I measured and compared it to the others, seemed the same, but I was just eyeballing the "u" part, so it must have been bent a little too tight up there or something. That was the most frustrating part. I kept trying different things, because it seemed like it should work.

If somebody would have walked by my open garage last night, they would have heard plenty of dirty words and me mumbling to myself!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

bmmaurer wrote:"I figure I'll wait until I get it back on the ground and see if I can climb in the trunk and get at them."

You can go in the trunk, but they're behind the back seat...

Comet Bruce

You know, I was wondering if that would be easier. I just put in the rear seat delete panel a few weeks ago but I didn't really pay attention where those upper shock mounts were.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

For me Going in thru the trunk would be just as easy, with less removal of parts. usually you can get a 1/4'' wrench on the top of the shock, & a crows foot wrench on the nut.Or if you can put vice grips on the shock under the car on the stem up high so it spins around & stops on something then use a deep well up top in the trunk maybe. I like to hit threads with a wire brush on a drill ,then penetrating oil will save effort if they are rusty. & if you feel it starting to gall up go back & get more rust off, more lube, at least go back so the dirt can fall out of the threads then go again, back & forth is a good way to get over buggered up threads too.

the u-bolt. I figure what it needs,spreading or bending together. then put it on the axle or something that same diameter & put nuts on it to protect the threads & tap with a hammer or squeeze with a clamp, just a little at time & dont go too far . it may make tight going on the axle but if you had it on an axle when you bent it you should be ok. sometimes I get it started, drive it home, then run a die back over it to open the threads back up.
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I tried squeezing it in a vise to get the ends closer together, which it did, but when I put over the housing, same thing, could only get one side in. Even tried a c-clamp and wide vise grips while it was over the housing with no luck. The other three were fine, just a gentle squeeze and a hammer tap was all it took.

I figure I'll get the car off the jackstands and remove my rear seat delete and then go in that way.

StPro

Post by StPro »

Go to the hardware store get 2 pcs 1/2 "black pipe12 or 18"long it will slip over 1/2" U bolts makes it easy bend them where u need them. It wont ruin the threads and keeps the U bolt legs straight.helps to hold the bolts when you need to hammer on them around the axel.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Caramba!! Tires are on and it's back on the ground. Still waiting on shocks. It actually sits lower than I thought it would. Kinda makes me want to lower the front now... Working of the front, I still need to come up with some front wheels, narrower, maybe a 5 spoke, torque thrust type, maybe not. Still working on it.

Maybe along these lines.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That's about where mine sits. Those rims (or TTD's obviously!!) would look great! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Rocket989 wrote:That's about where mine sits. Those rims (or TTD's obviously!!) would look great! :D :lol: :lol:
I guess I was thinking the rear springs would be like the front, they would sit high until they broke in and settled. I hope the rears don't settle, might have to put air shocks back on!!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I might at some point clip half or one coil upfront. Not a priority though to ain't happening soon!! :D :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Yeah, I haven't entirely talked myself into it yet. if it wasn't such a pain getting those out and putting them back, I'd go for it. And maybe once I get it out of the garage again and actually see the whole car from the side, it'll be fine.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

And got shocks. The rear is done, well, put back together anyway. To me it seems soft. I don't really have anything to compare it to though.

https://youtu.be/1xWwKVcLQiU

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

What type shock are they? I'm real happy with KYB gas shocks front and rear.
Seem more solid than those. Can't wait to see it when you're done.
NP Dave