Antique car registration

The Round Body, Finned Comets
DirtyHarry44cal

Antique car registration

Post by DirtyHarry44cal »

Anyone register their car under this? If so what are the requirements?

rjones35

Re: Antique car registration

Post by rjones35 »

I did in Kansas. I think it just had to be 25 years old or something like that and that was it.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

In SC, any car 25 years old or more can be registered as an antique car provided it's not used as a daily driver. Tag and title fees total $25. No taxes or tag fees after that. I'm sure it probably varies by state. Just call your DMV.
Jim

ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

I've got Arizona "Historic Vehicle" plates on my '63. Cheaper registration and cool copper plates. AZ doesn't care if it is a DD or not, long as it is 30+ years old.

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Same in Florida, 30 years no restrictions and about $22 a year. Have had antiques for years on a number of cars.
Careful your character's showing!

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Jims65cyclone wrote:In SC, any car 25 years old or more can be registered as an antique car provided it's not used as a daily driver. Tag and title fees total $25. No taxes or tag fees after that. I'm sure it probably varies by state. Just call your DMV.
Jim
The same holds true in Maine. We also have something called an annual "excise tax," the amount depends on what the car cost brand new; (MSRP--not what it actually sold for--really unfair.) At least on my '66 it's only $22/yr. Hate to tell you what my new Toyota Avalon's tax is.

Another benefit for registering your car as an "antique" is insurance is exceptionally cheap--probably due to the fact you won't be using it as a daily driver, and most antique owners are fastidious on maintenance.
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

I've been through the process here in New York. I wrote up my experience on my web site, check it out.

http://www.dplivingston.com/1962-mercur ... n-the-road
1962 Comet - 2-Door, 170 cu.in. with 6,950 Original Miles.
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have at least 6 with those tags,,here one has to be 25 yrs old,,you have to show proof of insurance and proof you own something else with regular tags to drive other then the antique car,,,and you have to have also with the title a bill of sale,,but you can make it happen with just the bill of sale,,,as I did on my 66 f100,I wanted to keep the orginal title ,as a friend bought it brand new and passed away,so revenue office made me a duplete title from my bill of sale,,,,here you pay 7.50 for the tags and you never have to buy or renew them again,,of course you pay personal property taxes on them everyyear
pop/glenda