Door locks

The Round Body, Finned Comets
rjones35

Door locks

Post by rjones35 »

Before I end up breaking something, is there something I'm missing trying to replace my door locks? Panels off, I can see it, with the rod attached and the u shaped clip. The problem I'm having so far is getting the clip off. It slides off towards the back of the car, but it's right up against the edge of the door and it can't slide. What am I missing? I'm not even 100% convinced the replacements I have will even work, they don't have the little arm off the end where the rod attaches. Does it come off the old one, or are mine wrong? Thanks!

tomb22

Re: Door locks

Post by tomb22 »

I removed mine by taking a channel lock and turning the the hole tumbler 90 degrees. Then the tumbler passes thru the u clip and comes out the front of the door. The arm is held on the tumbler with a c clip so you should be able to use the old arm and c clip.
tomb's 65

Loner

Post by Loner »

Is it the horse shoe clip you can't get off or the clip on the rod? Sometimes I get the HS clip off with pliers.
Not sure if they are the same as a 65 like in this picture.
The little arms come off the old ones.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

The horse shoe clip is the one I'm having trouble with, so far anyway. Looks pretty similar to that one I think. Just that it's facing the wrong direction to grab with pliers. I'll see if I can get the whole lock itself to rotate and pip out. Thanks!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

tomb22 wrote:I removed mine by taking a channel lock and turning the the hole tumbler 90 degrees. Then the tumbler passes thru the u clip and comes out the front of the door. The arm is held on the tumbler with a c clip so you should be able to use the old arm and c clip.
Sounds good, I'll try that! Thanks!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Tried the rotating thing, didn't seem like that was gonna happen. Seems like the clip is really tight against the door and lock.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Wonder how someone got it on there like that???
You can't rotate that one. See if you can bend the back of it up it give it room to come off. If that dosent work I would grab the top of one side with a pair of needle nose vice grips and give it a good tug. You might have to ruin it to get it off they do crack easy some times. Hope you get it off with out putting a ding in your door.

He's a stupid question dose the c-clip stick out of the edge of the door jam or is there a slot for it to fit though?
Just seems crazy that it got put on that way, are both sides like that?

Matt
Last edited by Loner on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

you need to remove the rod from the arm first, then turn the tumbler.
tomb's 65

sgtfixit

Post by sgtfixit »

on my 62 the clip comes out THROUGH the door jamb. You have to pry up the weatherstripping and you'll see the tab...pry it back with a flat tip screwdriver, and it will come out
62 Comet 4dr Base...Current PROJECT...wife's car..intalling 200 6cyl and a T-5.
OTHER
2011 Victory Cross Country (M/C) always needs wash and wax
1997 Ford F150 4X4

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looks like that u shaped metal strip that's facing up needs to be pushed back on the tumbler and then turn it
tomb's 65

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

sgtfixit wrote:on my 62 the clip comes out THROUGH the door jamb. You have to pry up the weatherstripping and you'll see the tab...pry it back with a flat tip screwdriver, and it will come out
Ha!! That was It! Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to do that! Next question, how does the rod detach from the lock assembly? am I missing something obvious there too?

Loner

Post by Loner »

rjones35 wrote:
sgtfixit wrote:on my 62 the clip comes out THROUGH the door jamb. You have to pry up the weatherstripping and you'll see the tab...pry it back with a flat tip screwdriver, and it will come out
Ha!! That was It! Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to do that! Next question, how does the rod detach from the lock assembly? am I missing something obvious there too?
It just pops out. The red plastic grommet is holding it in place.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Loner wrote:
rjones35 wrote:
It just pops out. The red plastic grommet is holding it in place.
Thanks! Got it done! One side anyway. Now I know how to do the other side without breaking the piece that the red plastic thing snaps into. only broke a little piece off, and a little piece of the red plastic grommet broke off too. Seems like it still works. we'll see how long it lasts like that!! Thanks again for the help!!

Loner

Post by Loner »

It is very common for those to break you can buy new ones. More than likely you will have to buy a box of them.

Matt

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Another question, semi related....I noticed in the process of doing the lock that the inside door handle has a lot of play, like it moves an inch or so, then opens the door. The drivers side is much tighter. I can see on the passenger side where the rod from the handle attaches to the latch. The piece it attaches to is where the play is. Looks like it's riveted on? Is it just worn out? The little plastic clips all look fine with no excess play. Maybe there's some adjustment in the handle, or a spring that's gone somewhere or something??