Anybody have a 62/63 strut rod to sell?

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Lip Ripper

Anybody have a 62/63 strut rod to sell?

Post by Lip Ripper »

I just bought a pair from a guy on FB. On one, the threads were totally trashed on removal. I would never sell someone a piece like that. Dumb ass me cleaned it and painted it anyway. The threads pulled before I could even get the rubber bushings collapsed. What I need is one with what looks like 11/16" threads and the holes for the lower control arm need to be 1 1/2" on center.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Re: Anybody have a 62/63 strut rod to sell?

Post by poboyjo65 »

why dont you just make a set of adjustable ones? you can then do away with the strut rod bushing & have a tighter better handling car as a result & easier for that last dial it on alignment. I think I have about 130 bucks in mine.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

A link for how too? I've looked at a couple of different approaches.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here is one from dazecars, though I dont like his clevis . one guy said it snapped off when he tried to mount it because it was cast.
http://dazecars.com/dazed/adjustable.html
I ordered the clevises from jeg & used washers to fill the gap, but you could make your own & make them to fit the heim joint kinda like the rosehill ones at the bottom of that link. another trick I learned was 3 1/2'' grade 5 washers were the perfect thickness & diameter for the frame mounts that he spent so much time making. but I had to drill the hole to 5/8'' - the size of the bolt that I used. some pics of mine about halfway down this page;
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... &start=345
& halfway down this page
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... &start=420
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I think Falconparts.com sells those strut rods. I was looking at 'em for an easy, relatively cheap adjustable rod but the lack of bushing choices might be an issue. I think Ron used 'em and sleeved later bushings or something. I'll probably pay more attention later, or since it's not a need thing, go the Johno route...it's a better mousetrap IMO. :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I think I have it covered for now. We'll see when the parts get here.

I will revisit this mod down the road. Right now I'm overwhelmed with getting the necessary work done so I can take it to my paint guy. It's a long hot/humid rd. down here this time of year, slows my old ass down.

SW