1963 V8 Disc Brake Conversion Kit + Steering

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Moses

1963 V8 Disc Brake Conversion Kit + Steering

Post by Moses »

Hi all,

I've been lurking around Google for a few weeks looking for a full power disc brake conversion kit for my 63 S22. I've found a couple of maybe's but can't seem to find anything that is a definite "will fit". If anyone has any leads on a full bolt on conversion kit I'd appreciate it. I've seen some comments about "any 64, 65 V8 Mustang kit will fit", but don't know the accuracy of that.

On a side note, also considering an upgraded steering package. Maybe the same bit about 64/65 Mustang Kits applies here as well.

The 260 is out of her at the moment and doing some grinding/cleaning/painting. Going back with a 302.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Moses

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 1963 V8 Disc Brake Conversion Kit + Steering

Post by lavron »

I think most of the time folks swap in the suspension components from a '64-65 Comet/Falcon, if you are going to all the suspension or just want the disks it will make a little difference.

Upgrading the steering you want the '65 Comet/Falcon stuff it has better geometry but someone with and early Comet can give more insight than me on what you need.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

A 65-66 mustang steering kit won't fit simply because the center link and steering gear is different. Everything else fits.
If you get a the Comet specific steering gear and centerlink the other parts can be mustang.
Like Mike said it's a good time to use 65 Comet Falcon Mustang steering parts including the spindles. CSRP sells new spindles.
The CSRP and Chockostang 65 mustang disc kits will fit. Specify power brakes to get the right Master but they probably won't have a small enough booster. Go to ABS Power brake for their small 7" booster.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I used the CSRP kit on my 63, but stayed with manual. For steering all I did was convert from power to manual with the conversion part from, somebody?? I don't remember where I got it. Like this though - http://www.dearbornclassics.com/63-64-r ... apter.html

Steering box and everything else stayed the stock.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

rjones35 wrote:I used the CSRP kit on my 63, but stayed with manual. For steering all I did was convert from power to manual with the conversion part from, somebody?? I don't remember where I got it. Like this though - http://www.dearbornclassics.com/63-64-r ... apter.html

Steering box and everything else stayed the stock.
So you kept the '63.5-'64 steering (tie-rods, centerlink, etc.)? I think that's a key decision...if moving to the later "Stang" steering the spindles need to be changed which might affect brake choice. The C3xx and C5xx spindles are subtly different. A '67-'70 'Stang power steering pitman arm can be used to connect the earlier V8 (1-1/8 sector) steering box to the '65 center link (manual steer setup).

I moved to later steering so needed spindles. Sourcing useable, used 'Stang spindles can be tough & $$ and new (non-drop) aren't easy to find either! I used the 2.x CSRP "Granada-type" kit that comes with new spindles.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Yep, I kept everything stock, just replaced with new where needed. Kept stock spindles. I looked into changing everything, but for me there really wasn't a reason, so I just kept it like it was, except the power steering.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

It would be interesting to drive a 63.5-64 V8 Bird or Comet with the original steering in good shape, with modern alignment specs and tires...can't be that bad. I think the biggest thing is the centerlink is not reproduced (or idler arm IIRC) and the tie rods are SPENDY!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Mine definitely has some play in the steering, box, I'm assuming. Everything else is tight. I've haven't had it aligned yet either. I was kinda waiting on the springs to settle, and for any issues that might come up. Seems to drive straight, and other than the play in the wheel, which I actually don't think is horrible (with no reference of course), seems good to me.