Export brace

The Round Body, Finned Comets
rjones35

Export brace

Post by rjones35 »

Finally getting around to installing my export brace!! Aluminum bracket bolted to the firewall with tubes with rod ends going to aluminum pieces on the shock towers. Question is, once everything is bolted together, do the rod ends need to move? Arent they really just for adjustment? My issue is binding at the bracket on the firewall. Installing a little spacer between the rodend ball and the bracket and one between the the nut and the ball takes care of the bind, but the rodend doesnt move a lot, but not binding.

Comechero65

Re: Export brace

Post by Comechero65 »

The exp
Last edited by Comechero65 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

The stock ones were all hacked up when I got the car, so I replaced them with these. I did get some thick washers that worked for the rod ends, so that part is good. I'll see how these do, gotta be better than none at all.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I guess you have enough rain. No they don't ''need'' to move. in fact the stiffer the better. even though I think the original bolt on type export brace is stronger I dont think it would make enough difference for me to spend the money to change it if I were in your shoes, & may not clear your breather & that may be the reason you made that kind of brace. seems like I remember you having to change it,,, spread these out in the back to clear the breather that you made ,maybe?
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I guess you have enough rain. No they don't ''need'' to move. in fact the stiffer the better. even though I think the original bolt on type export brace is stronger I dont think it would make enough difference for me to spend the money to change it if I were in your shoes, & may not clear your breather & that may be the reason you made that kind of brace. seems like I remember you having to change it,,, spread these out in the back to clear the breather that you made ,maybe?

Yeah, the bars were originally quite a bit longer, made BEFORE the intake and air cleaner. Had to shorten those and make a new piece for them to attach to. I've got that piece bolted to the firewall with two bolts, how much stress is that thing going to be under? I know there's not much support up front. I did add a crossmember under the engine to help tie things together.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You'll be fine,no worries. lots of people run that kind. I think Roy even had them on his racecar.
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

That's Good! I've had nothing on there up until now, and I got to thinking "what if there really is a lot of pressure on these things, are they going to coming jabbing through the firewall at me!!" That would be a bummer.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

All put together, well that part anyway.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

delete
Last edited by Comechero65 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

rjones35 wrote:All put together, well that part anyway.

That looks great!

And no worries about it being a weak design; you're in good company. Alston Chassisworks make a similar brace
https://www.cachassisworks.com/Attachme ... DS_WEB.pdf scroll down
Last edited by comethead on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks!!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That looks great Rob! :D

I have one of the factory type bolt on Export braces & I can guarantee you it WON'T fit with your breather without ''major'' changes!

But if you want to make it stronger you could alter it to look like the one in Joe's link with a monte carlo bar .
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

RJONES,THOSE TUBELAR braces will work just fine,,,we use it on these dirt track cars for braceing all the time and I know for a fact that one of these dirt cars take more of a beating in one night then anything we all own take in a life time,,our M carlo bar runs from side to side and is fasten with a 5/16th bolt on each end,,and it is a tube like you have,just last year ,son got hit and knocked into the concrete wall and it moved the entire front end over a few inches,that tube never bent swayed or buckled a bit,,,but we found welds on other braceing that was torn and split,,but that tubular bar held it's own,,,,,,and another thing,,,jmo...what you have is nicer looking then anything you can buy,,,all these braces you buy look to dang gawdy to me,,,,like I said--JMO.....and if you try hard e'nuff,a man can tear up an anvil......opinion's are like butts.....we all have one :wink: :shock:
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

all the rear bars and front end bars on a open wheel modified are tubular,,all the adjustment bars are tubular,,cause they are strong and they all have the same ends that RJONES has on his s tower braces,,they are better then a stamped piece ,,,who ever says different hasn't been around the block to often and for sure hasn't ever built a race care to run on the dirt...tubular bars and swedge tubes are tough....and they are light in weight savings,,that's why they are used......
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

[quote="poboyjo65"]That looks great Rob! :D

I have one of the factory type bolt on Export braces & I can guarantee you it WON'T fit with your breather without ''major'' changes!

john are SNORTIN powered Kool-Aid again ??....or you think someone else is ?? :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda