Leaf spring eye diameter

The Round Body, Finned Comets
62Cometman

Leaf spring eye diameter

Post by 62Cometman »

Does anyone happen to have what the diameter of the rear eye of the leaf springs is? I read poboyjo65s build thread and he used the chyrsler roller leaf spring slider and i was curious as to what it might take to adapt one to fit the early comet springs
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Leaf spring eye diameter

Post by A/FX »

The diameter of the leaf spring eyes is very difficult to measure because they are formed and are not symmetrical. I measured the large end rubber bushing W/ steel sleeve an it is 2.053” (call it 2”) The same with the small end, it measures 1 3/8” .( approx. because it is rubber and not perfectly round)
Springs are not special for any make or model meaning a FCA spring may be the same same as a FoMoCo spring. I have mine custom made to my spec’s. ( reversed eye, special center location, tapered leaves with poly buttons)
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

In all likelihood you're probably going to have to make bushings or sleeves for your 62. I had to make sleeves but the width & height was close enough for my 65. if yours is a bigger o.d. eye, speedway has sliders for a camaro that are just over 1.5''. but they are for 2.25'' wide leafsprings.( My hunch is earlier comets had 1.5'' O.D. bushings like falcons) How wide are your leafs??

one other thing to think about is if you get the ones for a Chrysler which are about 1.0'' & if it turns out yours are bigger eyes you could have bushings made,but you need to watch for contact to the top of the eye,so check all measurements before ordering. One other thing I noticed was the sliders for camaro were one piece bushings & the chysler ones were split in the middle.

One other thing I added after I posted in my thread was some thin ss shim washers on the outsides of the bushings because I didnt want the alum bushings wearing out by sliding against metal & there was enough room to add them so I thought this would be even less side to side movement of the rearend. I used the same thin ss sheet that I made the sleeves out of.

maybe someone with knowledge of 62 specs will speak up.
Johno

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

Thanks for the info, the 60-63 leafs are 2 inch wide i don't have new springs for it yet but was hoping to maybe get everything set up to install some come spring and was trying to get specs so i could tell if it would work or not
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

62Cometman wrote:Thanks for the info, the 60-63 leafs are 2 inch wide i don't have new springs for it yet but was hoping to maybe get everything set up to install some come spring and was trying to get specs so i could tell if it would work or not
You might contact which ever company that you plan to get the leafs from for the bushing diameter. if it is 1.5'' then the camaro sliders might be a better fit. you could shim the sides with washers ,1/8'' on each side, to make up for shortening the bushing 1/4'' for your 2'' wide leafs.

These would really help guys who have rear tire rub when turning.
Soon I plan to stick a camera under mine to see what goes on during turns. pretty sure there wont be very much side to side sway as in this video of a 65 comet wagon with rubber shackle bushings.at about 25 sec.s he does some back & forth turning & it is very obvious ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiu1UVd ... e=youtu.be
Johno