63 S22 LED Headlight Conversion

The Round Body, Finned Comets
junkmurray

63 S22 LED Headlight Conversion

Post by junkmurray »

Driving last night and remembered why I don't drive the Comet at night much - the headlights are from a different era. You don't realize the improvements that have been made in headlight technology until you drive an antique.

So with that background is anybody thinking about LED conversions, or already done an LED conversion. I know one issue is the 5 3/4 inch size. Seems like 7 inch LED headlights are everywhere. I found one other post in a later Comets board talking about his overall switch to LED (brakes, console, etc), so I'd also be interested in hearing about that too...but my main goal is getting better headlights.

That said, I'm looking for any advice or warnings from those that have already installed LED headlights, or are currently looking.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Plano TX
63 S22 Hardtop, 260

mopar 346

Re: 63 S22 LED Headlight Conversion

Post by mopar 346 »

Not LED but I run halogens, only problem is that when I run it on high beam for too long it will over heat the switch and my lights will go out. :shock: A quick hit of the dimmer brings the low beams back on but it makes for a fun second. I need to put them on a relay to correct it but I just haven't. Come to think of it, it could be the dimmer switch overheating, hmmmmm.... easy enough to change I might try that first. Anyway, the halogen brighten up the world pretty well, they look OE and they are available in the smaller size. Hope this helps.
Careful your character's showing!