1963 Comet 260 V8 A/C information

The Round Body, Finned Comets
mark

1963 Comet 260 V8 A/C information

Post by mark »

I am adding factory air to my '63 Custom 260 V8 Hardtop and have most/all of the original parts. My questions, if anyone can help are the following:

1. Where does the wiring harness' fused power connection hook up? on the ignition switch terminal or somewhere else? There is an eye terminal on the hot wire.
2. I would like to cut the radiator core holes for the condenser lines in the exact locations as factory. Does anyone have pics or information on this?
3. The firewall has knock-outs where the coolant lines pass through to the evaporator unit. Were there any/individual grommets on those, or the single type with the 2-piece bracket that is commonly sold today?
4. My front chrome bezel on the evaporator unit says "Ford" and not Mercury. Not sure if there was a stick-on plate for the Mercury letters or if there was a different chrome bezel section. Any advice on this would be helpful.
5. Does anyone know where to find a new brass contact plate for the A/C clutch (that the brushes ride on) so I can use the original clutch? I do have the newer version that is contact-less, but would prefer to use the original type if possible. Whoever removed the clutch from the compressor boogered up the plate when they pried off the clutch. Shucks.
6. I am looking for that strange bolt/post/stud that fits between the idler pulley/Gen bracket and the Gen bracket on the engine. I can improvise with all-thread and nuts if necessary, but would like to get the correct part.

I cannot locate the double pulley/fan for the generator anywhere so I purchased a Powermaster 90Amp 1-wire alternator immitation conversion with the double pulley. That should work out just fine. Also using a 1963 York 209 compressor and the updated high efficiency evaporator core in the factory blower unit. Planning to use R-134a refrigerant also.

Thank You for your kind assistance.

Mark