generator light

The Round Body, Finned Comets
popscomet

Re: generator light

Post by popscomet »

IS there a heavy wire coming from the wiring harness attached to the starter sold switch on the same post where the postive battery cable is? I cannot stress enough on making sure it is wired correct,,it could have been wrong to start with and you replaced itasit came apart..look on the generator and trace the color of wire on the voltage regulator,make sure grd goes to grd -field goes to field and so forth...another thing,look at the gen and make sure the brushes are making contact with the armature,,,,if it dies when a bat cable is removed,,,,,IT AIN"T CHARGEING
pop/glenda

dmsteen

Post by dmsteen »

u know, that has crossed my mine about it being miswired to begin with,so i;m going to trace the wires with a fine tooth comb and see what i find thanx pop !!

dmsteen

Post by dmsteen »

small breakthrew,started to follow the wires. i;m not getting any power to the voltage reg from the dash. fuses seem to be good unless there is a hidden one somewhere. on a wiring drawing i have it shows on the battery terminal on the v.r.there should be 2 wires,one goes to the battery the other to the dash, i have just the one that goes to the battery. my ? is,if its not been getting power how could i have driven it (not a lot) for a year before the gen light came on ?

dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,thats is a very good question,and I don't have the answer.I thought this was a old car you were just putting back on the road,I didn't relize you've been driving it for awhile,before all this happened.pop
pop/glenda

dmsteen

Post by dmsteen »

pops.i got it !! I finally said I;m going to start from scratch. so I bring the generator back to the rebuilder to test it,they open it up and guess what ? the arm wire that attaches to the stud is not connected !! oops! they must have forgotton to do that! so they solder the wire on and everything works. light went out and life is good. the dash lights are fixed. I tested each socket and they all had power so I looked at the bulbs again ( I replaced them all) and the bottom silver solder were all distorated. they were all stamped made in mexio so I went and got some different ones,same ones but they had a little longer base and then I sanded the connection a little and everyone works. so thanx for all your help !!!! I appreciate it !

dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAVE,am glad to hear the good news,I was about ready to catch a plane and come vist you :lol: now,I can get a full nights sleep :lol: :lol: we're still here if you need something else,,just give out a hollar !! thank-you.....POP
pop/glenda

dmsteen

Post by dmsteen »

funny, I was thinking of sending you a ticket to come up here lol

thanx again pops

dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:D AND I would have done my best to honor that ticket..after-all,,what are FRIENDS for....... :D pop...did you know..you can take a generator and take a set of jumper cables hooked to the battary and touch the neg cable to the case and (forget which one)touch the other to 1 of the small post on the gen and it will spin just like a electric motor,if it spins,it's a good gen,if not ,then it's a bad gen,,,you can do the very same thing to a starter,if it spins like hell and the starter bendix kicks in your good to go,,I learn't that as a kid ,while chasing parts in JUNK YARDS,cause once you took it home ,no refund,so us boys would always check 'em 1st.. :shock: POP
pop/glenda