TOP LOADER SHIFTER MECHANISM

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thos25

TOP LOADER SHIFTER MECHANISM

Post by thos25 »

I need some help with identifying a top loader shifter. I cannot find a FORD number on it anywhere. It came with a tranny that I bought at a swap meet and rebuilt. The tranny is a RUG that identifies itself as originating in a 68 MUSTANG behind a 390 big block.The shifter mechanism, i.e. the "Brains" was not on the tranny when I bought it. After rebuilding both it became apparent that This shifter is NOT compatible with the mounting local on my tail shaft housing. The Tranny is destined for my 65 CYCLONE. During the rebuild I made the necessary changes to the input shaft, tail housing etc. If anyone could help me I D the thing I would be very grateful. Also, if anyone would be interested in swapping a compatible 289 65 COMET/FALCON mechanism for this one I would be very interested. I am trying to attach photos but I am having a heck of a time. I will send the photos as soon as I crack the code on how to do it! Thanks to All, TOM

comethead

Re: TOP LOADER SHIFTER MECHANISM

Post by comethead »

Hey Tom I don’t believe Ford stamped any of the shifter bodies.
Here’s some info on identification http://www.kevinstang.com/fordshift.htm

Bill Healey rebuilds original shifters. He may have a Comet shifter. His number is 301-774-3710

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hi Joe, Thanks for all of the great information. I do appreciate your help. As I said in my post I don't know how to add pictures yet. Would I be imposing on you to give me a few pointers? Interestingly, I dealt with Bill Healy years ago when I was just starting my CYCLONE project and did buy my shifter mechanism from him. Also, I have dealt with David Kee and Dan Williams, as I am sure you have, and spoke with both on the phone. It has been 10 years since I finished the CYCLONE so I have forgotten much of what I learned. You have been a wealth of information and insight and I do appreciate all you have done for me. If you could give me a few pointers on attaching photos I will get them up ASAP. I am also going to contact Mr. Healy.
As Always; THANK YOU and kind regards,TOM

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Tom I use http://postimages.org.
You need to upload your pictures to that website and then you will copy and paste the links they provide in your thread so we can view your pictures.
If you can’t get it, email them to me and I’ll post for you jmd68fb@yahoo.com

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Here are the pics of Toms unidentified shifter. If anyone knows what it is let Tom know.

Last edited by comethead on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Tom here is an original Comet/Falcon Toploader shifter https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3361864151
Last edited by comethead on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

thos25 wrote:Hi Joe, Thanks for all of the great information. I do appreciate your help. As I said in my post I don't know how to add pictures yet. Would I be imposing on you to give me a few pointers? Interestingly, I dealt with Bill Healy years ago when I was just starting my CYCLONE project and did buy my shifter mechanism from him. Also, I have dealt with David Kee and Dan Williams, as I am sure you have, and spoke with both on the phone. It has been 10 years since I finished the CYCLONE so I have forgotten much of what I learned. You have been a wealth of information and insight and I do appreciate all you have done for me. If you could give me a few pointers on attaching photos I will get them up ASAP. I am also going to contact Mr. Healy.
As Always; THANK YOU and kind regards,TOM
Tom,nice job on the shifter body!! Hopefully,you have the rods and levers. Even if it doesn't fit your tranny,it looks like it's worth good money

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hi Again Joe, I do have the correct rods and levers for this shifter and am still hoping that I could find someone who would be interested in a trade. If I could ID the thing I could list it on e- bay or Craigs list. AS to your tip about Bill Healy,I may have told you this but I bought a COMET shifter from him 20 some years ago. He lived at that time in Onley, Maryland so I will call him this week. He is a very nice gentleman and was very helpful. AS always nice chatting with you . Kind Regards, TOM