Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Postby Jims65cyclone » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 pm

ALRIGHT!!! That will beat the heck out of working on it from underneath. Did it take much effort from the engine hoist to start the roll?

Jim

15x7x3.75BS TTII's all around
215/65/15 front, 235/60/15 rear
Jims65cyclone

Postby tomb22 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Great job Mike. Looks awesome. Will certainly be easy to work on.
tom
tomb's 65
tomb22

Postby lavron » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Jims65cyclone wrote:ALRIGHT!!! That will beat the heck out of working on it from underneath. Did it take much effort from the engine hoist to start the roll?

No, you all saw it on the dollies, we just jacked up the right side and removed the dollies on that side so the car was already crooked, and don't forget the 240 lbs. of sand on the right side of the car, like I said the cherry picker was pulled out to the one ton notch (second hole out from all the way in) the hook/rocker panel was probably about knee high to start, I pumped the jack maybe four times and I would guess the rocker was about thigh high, we both gave the car a little push and looked at each other because it already felt easy to push and the cherry picker was actually pulling back on it, I asked him if he thought we should just take the cherry picker loose, he said he thought it was balanced enough, so he he held the car by himself while I disconnected the hook (he actually lifted it enough by himself that I could unhook it) we rolled it not much further and hit the car ramps, I pulled it back and he went around and pulled both of them out, and then we lowered it until the sandbag incident.

Super stable with the sandbags on the legs, no fear of it tipping back on me.

It is really nice to see all the stuff I need to fix (and the stuff I don't) I will probably go out tomorrow and at least try to get the grease scraped off, may be too cold to do any pressure wash (or just hose washing) and knowing me I will have the grinder and welder out working on something or getting the wheel wells started.

I hear we are going to hit near the 60s this weekend because we like going from 13 degrees to 60 degrees in two days, of course I am not complaining about it warming up.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, My first car, I have owned it since 1979!
Restoration/Upgrade on a BUDGET - Working on; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Whatever I do it will be awesome!
lavron
Site Admin

Postby lavron » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 pm

If you all are nice to me and want to see it, I can try and take a movie when we flip it over the other way.

See Ya,
Mike
Restoration/Upgrade on a BUDGET - Working on; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Whatever I do it will be awesome!
lavron
Site Admin

Postby SASSY » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:46 am

Id like to see it happen 8)
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about?
SASSY

Postby StPro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 pm

It looks good on its side.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT
StPro

Postby Jims65cyclone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 pm

lavron wrote:If you all are nice to me and want to see it, I can try and take a movie when we flip it over the other way.

Heck yeah! :D 8)

Jim

15x7x3.75BS TTII's all around
215/65/15 front, 235/60/15 rear
Jims65cyclone

Postby lavron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:19 pm

I was really motivated to get out and get some stuff done today, but not motivated enough to go out while it was 7-9 degrees so I waited until it was 16 degrees. :roll:

I got the right side (down part) of the rear stuff cleaned up and touched up some welds and added a few little patches and gussets that I didn't get too good when I was laying on the floor. I even added a patch where I had cut the "C" notch in the frame plate before I welded it on and then figured out I did not need them, it is mostly cosmetic stuff no one will see :P

I was great sitting in a chair doing this, I have done about all I need to on this side until it flips the other way, I also got the top/outside of the left side done and will do the same as I did on the right side when I flip it. Now going to move forward and get all that done and maybe a few "extra" things I might not do otherwise but since it is flipped up I just might. Or I might get to work on those inner wheel wells.

Hoping for warmer weather!

See Ya,
Mike
lavron
Site Admin

Postby lavron » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Did a few things today, first I dug out the gas tank (no small feat, but I grabbed the header at the same time) I found a place for the fuel pump to live, there just isn't much choice back there because there is not a lot of space to avoid stuff like the exhaust.

I drilled the hole for the mounting bolt and welded it in place because the head is between the tank and body (no the head does not touch the tank, there is probably 1/2" between them) and if I need to change the fuel pump I don't want to have to remove the tank first.

I also was cleaning the bottom of the car mostly with a knotted wire wheel in the angle grinder, not a terrible job just dirty.

Hopefully you can see what I got done, I was mostly cleaning the car's self applied undercoating (grease and oil). The bottom of the car looks pretty good actually just where the rusted out spots were that I replaced already were bad everything else is surface rust and grease.

One thing I cleaned a little on was the left torque box, and there is a little rust on it so I think I will just cut the corner off where the access hole is and replace it and not worry about having the hatch any more (my park brake is between the seats now).

Also notice how crappy a job they did welding the torque box to the frame, makes me feel better about my welds :roll: :P

I will keep plugging away, still is nice to have the car like this, makes work way more enjoyable and I am doing this for fun anyway :P

See Ya,
Mike
lavron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 64 - 65 Comets