Fairlaniac's 1964 FE Pro Street Project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
fairlaniac

Fairlaniac's 1964 FE Pro Street Project

Post by fairlaniac »

I thought I'd start a thread not so much showing off what I'm doing, I'll do that too but I want to use the space to thank those helping me along the way. Pro64 (Harry) & Projim64 (Jim) have been a huge help. Pro64 and I have an ongoing text that must have almost 100 pictures. Thanks guys for your help.

Tonight I'm final fitting my back half frame. Not quite ready to tack it in but close. Waiting on some materials so I got some computer time :-)
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

poboyjo65

Re: Fairlaniac's 1964 FE Pro Street Project

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hey Thanks for sharing ! I remember when I could see that much floor thru mine. it was hard not to get burned out but with a few well deserved breaks I managed to get it back together. some days I would go out with intentions of just doing 1 thing. at least 1 thing a day no matter how small was my thinking. of course lots of days it was much more than that but I never went more than a couple weeks with out doing something to it.

Keep us updated!! :D
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

I think a lot of us can relate to where you are coming from. My car sat in that position for a very long time. I also had lines drawn on the floor with a black sharpie making sure everything was in line and square. I don't even want to think how many times I measured and remeasured everything. I think I kind of followed poboy's way of doing things, 1 thing a day. A lot of times that 1 thing was just remeasuring from the day before. Then I'd sit back and have a beer and just think.

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey doug your welcome for any and all help I can give..Also thank you for the help with my C O M E T ,letters. Loman has a good point even if the only thing you do is measure and drink beer atleast its something. [REMEMBER SAVE THE CANS].... anyway stay the course and she will be sweet.............. 8)

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

I'm trying to get myself ready to do the same. I have a hard time putting the car in the air knowing that I can drive it any time I want. But I know I have to do it or I'll never get it done, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

pugs65 wrote:I'm trying to get myself ready to do the same. I have a hard time putting the car in the air knowing that I can drive it any time I want. But I know I have to do it or I'll never get it done, Pugs.
Pugs, I know what you mean about putting 'er up on blocks for some long term work. Been there, done that. I'm fortunate these days to also have my '66 Fairlane that I can take for a drive anytime to get my "fix".
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Today I am in the middle of fabricating what will be my inner bumper frame. My 4 link frame ends will tie into the 2x3 on top. The 2x4 will rest on the tail panel inner lip and the stock bumper mounts are fitted up. I have tubing welded between the walls of the 2x4 for the front bolt and a hex nut welded inside of the end cap for the rear bolt. Still got some welding to do tonight. Took a break for dinner. I know, it doesn't look like much but I'm happy!
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Doug;I know it is too late now,but we left short sections of stock frame where the bumper brackets attach,then welded in a section of "C" channel between them and the rear of the car,then attached the new frame rails to it!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Doug;I know it is too late now,but we left short sections of stock frame where the bumper brackets attach,then welded in a section of "C" channel between them and the rear of the car,then attached the new frame rails to it!!! ROY.
Roy, I'm sure I'll have a few "shoulda, woulda, coulda's in this project. I think this will work out fine.

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Doug;I am sure you will!! That piece looks plenty stout!! I used the original steel bumper on the rear and a Crites fiberglass front with severly lightened stock brackets.Some guys were concerned about the brackets being strong enough,I told them if I crash,do they think that flyweight bumper will stop anything!!!PS,I really like your rotisserie,and those BIG wheels,I bet it makes working a LOT easier!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey doug that's an awesome piece your making there, IM sure that is going to work just fine.Was wondering how your making out ,looks like you got it under control. :D Got my firewall cut back making up trans tunnel,then of to body work...any way keep in touch..................pro 64

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Got the back half welded in and just fabbed my frame rail connectors. I'll clean up the areas to be welded and weld them next.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Your getting some work done Doug, Looks good!.....................Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Doug she's lookin good, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Doug is it going to be race only or street & strip?
You got it going on, nice pace ! I use to work for a guy, at least once every day he would state, rather loudly & just out of the blue, "professional people doing a professional job!"
Johno