N/SS 65 Comet build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
TunnelBolt

Re: N/SS 65 Comet build

Post by TunnelBolt »

Thanks Roy; Here's the part no.for the double adjustable coil overs VAS 86M11F2,
They single adjustable no. VAS 86M11F1. Here's the link http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/vas_bolton-co.html.

I got the upper mount with the 2" drop, they also have 1" drop and stock height.

Looks like your Comet hooks hard with your set up now. Have you ran yours lately?

FE is almost complete :D

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Steve;Thank You for the part #'s and link. I forgot that Alston took over Total Control. My Comet is doing OK on the hook but could be better.A buddy that owns a chassis shop was watching the car and thinks the rear is separating too much and the front limiters should be set about an 1" shorter.The car is going 140's to 60' now,he feels it should be in the 130's by spending more horsepower to forward motion instead of separating. I think it would help on the redlights by keeping the car from jumping up out of the beams.I need to get the car to react quicker as we run a 4/10ths,pro-tree in N/SS and even leaving as soon as I see any amber I am in the high .0's to 1.0's,not good!! I need all the help I can ,as I need to leave on those big blocks so I can hold them off on the big end[hopefully]!! I also went from a 5:43 gear to a 5:83 to help get the car moving,it should also help on the other end as it was only turning about 66 to 6800 in the lights,I shift at 7200. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

It's FE time!! 474 cu. of pure fun!
Finally Ready, took about 1 year to have this engine done.
Met Jim at their shop yesterday after work to hear it fired up, then we loaded it up to put in the Comet.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Steve;you giving the rest of the crew a break by running "only" 474"?WOW!!!!It seems like you are making great progress. ROY.

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

It's alive! :twisted: Pics to come soon, At York Reunion with Comet. :D
Going to Beaver Springs Dragway on Sunday.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Steve;that is great news!! I wish you well on your maiden outting!! Those front engine supports look cool,as does that big bad FE!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Videos man. Videos!

projim64

Post by projim64 »

Sorry Steve I could not wait to give these guys something to slobber over . How about a taste of what it looked like 24 hours before we left for the York 30 Drag reunion in York ,Pa. The 5 pictures after the rear end shot was last Sunday and the rest are from a 24 hour thrash through the night from 4 Pm Wednesday to 4 Pm Thursday .Do yourself a favor click on a picture and then click on full size . I will let Steve show you the finished product. It is not even my car but it was worth every hour spent to see it get finished.
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Tunne ... cles/16417
Last edited by projim64 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64 prostreet Caliente 347 crossram 5spd 4.56 9 in
64 Caliente 260 auto ps pb radio delete
64 Caliente 4dr 260 auto
64 Cyclone 289 auto
64 404 wagon 289 tunnelram 2 4rs auto

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Jim and Steve;Now you guys have done it!! I guess I'm going to have to rob a bank,blow my Comet apart and build a 427 N/SS!!!!I can't wait to hear how the Comet did and how the meet was. WOW!!!!! ROY.

projim64

Post by projim64 »

Roy the meet at Beaver Springs had 56 N/SS cars up from 42 last year. It was a site to see. Jim.
64 prostreet Caliente 347 crossram 5spd 4.56 9 in
64 Caliente 260 auto ps pb radio delete
64 Caliente 4dr 260 auto
64 Cyclone 289 auto
64 404 wagon 289 tunnelram 2 4rs auto

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Steve and Jim;I just finished going thru the photos over on the HUB.Great album of the Comet's build up and debute.Where is the master cylinder? I could not find it in the photos.Did you get a chance to run the car? I see where the Wagon won the N/SS show!!! ROY.

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

Well the last three weeks are a blur, since the motor was dropped in, every spare min. after work and weekends was spent to finish the Comet for the York US. 30 reunion.
Big thanks to Jim and John on the last day before the show they stayed working 24 hours straight to get it ready, we were up for 41 hours to it get there. It was worth every minute of all that work.
Fired the motor up in the car right before we left for the show on Thursday, Need to give it an front alignment, belts, set up shocks, and door panels before I run it. one more day is what I really needed, We just made the show last min. on Thursday.
I lettered the car on Friday during the show.
Roy; I ended up not using the Areospace master Cylinder for the fire wall, I wanted more room for getting to the plugs. I got a Wilwood reverse mount master cylinder under the dash. I'll see if I took a picture of it.

I'll post some pics from the last three weeks.
Sunday July 5. Hung doors and mounting lexan windows.

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Steve;your Comet is looking great! Your steering is interesting,6cylinder style,upgrated.I think I saw the master cylinder in one of the photos,up under the dash.How do you service it? Maiden trip soon? ROY.

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

Roy; Switched to the 6 cylinder idler arm and pitman arm, so I could save a few pounds over the stock stuff. The center link and tie rods are Chrome Moly now.
Still tweaking it so no bump steer.

You can barely see the remote hoses coming from the master cylinder to the small reserviors mounted behind the hole were the radio was; now the switch panel is mounted there.
The speaker grill is still removable so to get to the brake fluid reseviors.