Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:A question:
Are you eliminating the “eye brow” trim that is attached to the die case end caps? If you are planning to use them how will you attach them? If you do not install them then the trunk trim and the large trim under the tail lamp housings will not look complete. ( the four pieces usually form an “oval around the tail lamps)
I didn't show this on the post earlier but I am installing the trim, I bolted the extension on and drilled up through the trim mounting holes like this;

Then I took them off and used a step drill to enlarge the hole up to 3/4" so I could get the nut and socket in to install the trim when I was finished.

A deep well socket fits and reaches the back fine, I will have to make sure I don't drop the nut while installing it but it seemed to work fine (I tested it before I epoxied them on) the hardest part was making sure no epoxy squeezed up next to the trim hole so I used a piece of bent metal and scraped in there before the epoxy dried to be sure.
Jims65cyclone wrote:Your body work looks great, Mike. 8)
Jim
Thanks Jim not on par with a lot of guys on here but for a guy doing it outside and only working a couple of hours at a time I think it isn't half bad :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I may get some 3/4" rubber plugs for those holes when I am done, or I may just not worry about it :roll: they are sealed up around the outside anyway. I was considering getting some kind of spray can wand so I could shoot the inside of the extension with rust encapsulator or the like, Eastwood sells one but I think I will wait until I am at point I could spray several things like the A pillars etc.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got the upper parts of the rear quarters sanded and primed today.

Obviously the lowers are going to take a bit more time :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

lavron wrote:
A/FX wrote:A question:
Are you eliminating the “eye brow” trim that is attached to the die case end caps? If you are planning to use them how will you attach them? If you do not install them then the trunk trim and the large trim under the tail lamp housings will not look complete. ( the four pieces usually form an “oval around the tail lamps)
I didn't show this on the post earlier but I am installing the trim, I bolted the extension on and drilled up through the trim mounting holes like this;

Then I took them off and used a step drill to enlarge the hole up to 3/4" so I could get the nut and socket in to install the trim when I was finished.

Very sneaky, it should work OK.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I got the doors sanded, de-rusted and primed today. Before and After.

Looks better :roll: No major issues just a few door dings below the body line on the right door, I filled them but will need to do a little more later too get them fully flat. Not even a door ding on the left door but I will need to weld up the mirror holes but my welder is too far away (or my car) so I will do them later so I can move my mirrors forward on the doors.

Getting closer to having it all the same color at least.

Next I guess I will have to move to the front fenders but it will be a little tougher because they will have to come off so I can mould the front fender extensions on and get the sergeant bars off (at least the back one)

I do have one dent in my right rocker panel that I haven't decided how to remove yet, I am assuming try and pull it some and then filling it but I don't have a stud gun, I think there is a slide hammer around here someplace (or I could borrow one from parts store) could I just MIG weld a 16 penny nail on there to pull it? So I don't have to drill a hole through the rocker.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Decided it is time to put the Mustang 2 crossmember together and get ready to install it, I started the morning with the parts from Welders Series, you have seen them before when I enlarged some of the holes for the control arms.

They have been tucked away in my secret stash since then.

By noon I had it all welded together, it took me longer to grind my messy welds than to actually weld it, of course I got better about the time I was finished, they still aren't all that pretty but I think they have good penetration and are plenty strong. I painted some Rustoleum on there just to keep everything from rusting up because there will be more welding and cutting to be done on it, I will probably paint it with bedliner once it is installed like the rest of how I intend to do my engine bay.

The only thing that I think is wrong is the bushings for the rack appear to need a sleeve that was not in the box, the hole in the center on the bushings is much larger than the bolts :roll:

I will keep carrying on the best I can

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Here is a closer shot of my dodging welding as full discloser.

I did not intentionally shoot my picture from the next county to hide them from everyone :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Looking good, Mike! Where did you get the mustang II welder kit from?
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

looks pretty good! the little angled gussets on the back,may just be the pic but those welds look a little cold. did you bend the metal yourself?
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks good. I'm sure Pop would remind you that there are 360 more days till PF 2019. :lol: :lol:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Looks good. I'm sure Pop would remind you that there are 360 more days till PF 2019. :lol: :lol:
Jim
:lol: you read my mind.JIM :!: :wink: so get on the stick...MIKE :!: :!: :!: :!: :lol: ...POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

RideAndShoot wrote:Where did you get the mustang II welder kit from?
It is parts from www.welderseries.com not actually a kit (it comes in kit form however) they are out of Canada, I bought the rear/top ($37) and front/bottom ($34) and two upper arm plates for coilovers ($23ea), I bought the other stuff separate (control arms with gussets and the rack)
poboyjo65 wrote:looks pretty good! the little angled gussets on the back,may just be the pic but those welds look a little cold. did you bend the metal yourself?
I welded the the little angled gussets on both sides, they are welded better on the other side, it was kinda hard to reach down on the top side and it probably didn't even need to be welded on the side you see but I welded everything on both sides where I could just to be sure.

Yes you bend them up yourself and weld all 4 corners of the crossmember together, I have the coil over mounts to do still hopefully I can weld them a little neater from the get go :roll: I need to see how much wire I have left after all I did today.
popscomet wrote: you read my mind.JIM so get on the stick...MIKE ...POP
I am trying even was welding on one of the hottest days we have seen so far :oops: I was glad I found a new box of grinding wheels as well, I guess I fall in the category of one who grinds (the statement "there are welders and there are grinders" :roll: )

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I had plans today to document bending and welding the upper M2 coil over mounts but was reviewing the instructions (yeah sometimes I look :roll: ) they said to wait and bend them after trimming them to fit my set-up so I guess I will wait on that.

I did "finish" straightening up the shed after getting the two benches and had several parts pulled out moving stuff, now if they were just welded/bolted to the Comet :roll: :P

How many days do I have left? :P :roll: :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Little shy of a year I guess...! :D :lol:

Good to see some o’ them parts going together Mike!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
How many days do I have left? :P :roll: :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Dont worry about the gathering, it's the next unexpected obstacle of life & of course the honey-do's that will getcha! :lol: :lol: just keep the hammer down on the straight aways !!
Johno