Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

Started making my front frame plates today.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Making these frame plates I wish I had a heavy duty (any) metal brake, I cut them to shape and make grooves where the bends go with the angle grinder, drilled holes along the bend so I could plug weld to the frame. (I drilled a bunch more holes as well)

It was a bite to bend the 1/8" steel, all 4 times, but got it done and welded along the seams, then welded them in the Comet and ground them smooth.

Need to grind off a couple of welds and redo them and make the outside plates and get them welded in then I will be ready to get the crossmember in there.

I almost cannot weld upside down, so any pointers would be appreciated, the wire tends to melt and run back toward the gun tip. Also it looks like I am out of gas already, the tank reads no pressure but still have 10 pounds to the gun and can hear it come out the end :roll:

So I have begun the 3rd month of this build, not going to recap everything done but just since the 2nd month update, basically I have gotten the rear install near complete, and have started on the front, got all the front suspension removed and the steering column, I have prepped the column for modification and painted it, finally built and welded in the front frame plates (mostly). My goal for the next 29 days, or so, is to get the crossmember installed and the wheels bolted on, a bonus would be to have the steering column installed.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Again, lots of progress and looking good! You're motoring right along now!

Breaking 1/8" at home is tough no matter what, and your pieces look great. My solution several years back was I- beams and clamps. I picked up a few 3x4 I beam pieces about 5' long, and that let me clamp and bolt them together and sandwich whatever I'm breaking. Then it's just slow and steady with a wood block and a hammer.

Overhead welding is awkward at best. My $0.02, if it helps or is worth that amount, is that it's all about welding heat and torch angle/direction. Not sure if you've been pushing our pulling your puddle, but I find its more controllable to lower your heat a little bit and pull your arc, while keeping your torch closer to horizontal than normal, if that helps. It also helps, of course, to be as clean as possible and fit as tight as you can. And nozzle dip helps too.

Keep it up!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Overhead welding is awkward at best. My $0.02, if it helps or is worth that amount, is that it's all about welding heat and torch angle/direction. Not sure if you've been pushing our pulling your puddle, but I find its more controllable to lower your heat a little bit and pull your arc, while keeping your torch closer to horizontal than normal, if that helps. It also helps, of course, to be as clean as possible and fit as tight as you can. And nozzle dip helps too.
Thanks, I have some nozzle dip I will give it a try next time, it probably doesn't help I am welding to the frame, that would rather you left it alone, it doesn't like to play nice :roll: :P
bigdan wrote:Breaking 1/8" at home is tough no matter what
The guy that was here and did my driveway, etc. had invited me over to his shop sometime (he is a hot rodder with a 32 Ford, too bad it has the wrong motor) said he has a break that will do 1/2" metal, I really need to make good friends with him :P looking to make my own torque box replacements and was thinking of using 1/8" or the old fuel tank skid pan off the Jeep (which might be 1/8").

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

He must have an ironworker to brake 1/2"! You can of course make some dies with angle iron and use a shop press also. I know several buddies that have went that route.

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It's hard to believe you're out of gas already, you haven't welded much with it have you? maybe you got a leaky bottle. are you turning it off after each use? I know you got a little bottle but still seems like it should have went longer. My biggest problem with welding I have come to decide is seeing what I am doing. if I can't get my body into position to see what I'm welding it turns out looking like shet. I got a hot ball in the same ear twice in a row. first day I just quit for the day. after the second time I got a detachable hood from an insulated carhart jacket & strapped it on under my helmet. I was able to get it all done then but it was sure hot all wrapped up like that & leather welding coat in the summer.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Earplugs, Johnno! :lol: Been there, done that!

Lavron might be running a little more gas flow since he can catch a breeze in the shop, too. I keep mine set fairly low (5-8# on my regulator) inside with no breeze, but outside I've needed up around 12-15# at times.

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I have been running around 10#, I do keep it shut off when I am not using it, I even turn it off if I am not going to use it like for 10 minutes :roll: Like I said I still can hear gas escaping the nozzle if I pull the trigger.

I now understand the whole hot ball thing now :? so far I have avoided getting hit by one, odds are not in my favor however.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

bigdan wrote:Earplugs, Johnno! :lol: Dan
Too Late Danno, I'm burnt out. if my 2 big funnel ears gets under hot balls of fire they gonna have my hood on them. too much real estate for those balls to roll around on for plugs. but no plans of getting under any more of them. I like to weld down,not up! :lol:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:He must have an ironworker to brake 1/2"! You can of course make some dies with angle iron and use a shop press also. I know several buddies that have went that route.
Missed that reply Dan. Said he just bought it recently along with some other equipment, had to add 3 phase power to his shop to accommodate his new toys. I really need to call him and setup a time I can take a tour. He owns the car wash in the town he lives in and lives right there on the corner where it is, he owns a lot of really nice heavy equipment and, once you get him over to do a job, is really fast and does great work.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got the outer front frame plates cut out today, just need to clean them up and get the frame prepped and they are ready to weld.

Going to try tomorrow morning before I go to town, see if there is any gas left to squeeze out of the tank and then I will get a refill, if the refill doesn't last long I might consider going up a size on the tank or see if maybe I got a leaky bottle.

Hoping by Wednesday to have the crossmember tacked in if nothing comes up.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:if the refill doesn't last long I might consider going up a size on the tank or see if maybe I got a leaky bottle.
While you've still got some gas left in the bottle, spray everything down with some soap solution and look for bubbles. :? May save you leaking down another one.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
lavron wrote:if the refill doesn't last long I might consider going up a size on the tank or see if maybe I got a leaky bottle.
While you've still got some gas left in the bottle, spray everything down with some soap solution and look for bubbles. :? May save you leaking down another one.
Jim
I do that when I first get a bottle ,& check it with gas on too. one leaky bottle will teach you to do this. & if it is leaky carry it back right then.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Outside plates welded in and ground smooth(ish).

I was completely out of gas so I bought a refilled bottle today and talked to the guy about that one maybe leaking, he was going to make a note on the bottle for the gas company to pressure check it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Crossmember Tacked in and I started mocking up the front.

I still need to trim, fold and weld the upper towers. I discovered that I will have to notch for the rack bellows, I knew that I might but was hoping I wouldn't have too :roll: I need to see if I can find some lighter pipe to make them out of but if not I will use that chunk of the rear axle to make them.

I took a lot of pictures on how I am installing this and will post them later, I might wait until I am finished and make a single how-to post :roll:

Will keep chipping away at it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread