Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:I said afx, :oops: sorry, I meant the orange & white & blue one,vintage road racer? I like how your openings look compared to the road racers which alter/interfere with the body lines. Fred yours looks more natural & streamline.
Oh, ok I understand now. Part of the problem for me is I only get the front 3/4 of the Safari Comet don't see the wheel openings in the pic.
So I get an Email for my son just now with a link to a blog and a ?, have you ever seen this car?
Sometimes I wonder is it really coincidence ? lol
http://justacarguy.blogspot.ca/2013/09/ ... -that.html
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I read through that some time back. That thing is friggin amazing!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Sometimes I wonder is it really coincidence ?
I'll never tell :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

OK so a quick post on steering components, see if I got everything, and then sources for cheaper parts appreciated, I mostly Googled and whoever came up first I grabbed their prices :roll:

I am thinking just go Ford stock steering but do the '65 V8 conversion.

Falcon Enterprises came up with the base parts (local auto parts store might be cheaper on these if they can find them on the computer);
Centerlink, inner tie rods and tie rod adjusting sleeves all total on those - $205

Cobra Automotive has a Shelby Quick Steer kit that includes the roller bearing idler arm (I assume pre-installed) - this includes; pitman arm, roller idler arm and idler bracket - $300 <- certainly this can be done cheaper?

O'Reilly has Granada MOOG outer tie rod ends - $62

For my steering box I figure I will rebuild the one on the car now, StangersSite list a kit for - $70 (if I can even buy from there?)

I think that is it on steering? Did I leave anything out? Good plan or bad?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Looks complete to me. Rockauto might do a little better on some of the parts. FalconParts is the sole supplier of the center link (that I know of anyway)!

Branda has the QS kit w/ standard bushing for $149 bucks. But the roller conversion runs about $80-$125 depending on which type and who ya order from. I might do it myself to save $70, but NOT $25!!

JH

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'm also considering 65 steering upgrade. I hadn't heard of Falcon Ent so I checked their site because of your quote on the center link.
I could only find a 6 cyl centerlink there,,,?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote: I hadn't heard of Falcon Ent so I checked their site because of your quote on the center link.
One reason I am trying to post things here, I could write this all down in a notebook but thought others might benefit from what I find, plus have other suggestions for places I have not found :)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:I read your planning on black Basset Wheels (spelling?), Stock car style? you can probably get them in about any backspace.
I missed that question Fred, sorry. Yes Bassett stock car style wheels, I am thinking chrome acorn lugs and a chrome center cap with a mercury head 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Mike;check those BRANADA tie rod ends,they may be way too long,I used 68 Cougar outters on mine!! JMO , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks! The only place I've been able to find them was Ebay for like $330 US!! Plus 30% up here, like 450 CAN. !!
WAsn"t gonna happen, now it's realistic.
Fred

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Cool!! Does your steering box have a 1" or 1 1/8" sector shaft? If the latter, you'll need a '67 Mustang power steering pitman arm.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/19 ... nter-link/ has the V8 Manual steering link as well for Comet/Falcon for $140

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Mike;check those BRANADA tie rod ends,they may be way too long,I used 68 Cougar outters on mine!! JMO , ROY.
Roy I assume BRANDA=GRANADA, I did check and RockAuto (Thanks Rocket) has MOOG '68 Cougar outers http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 430&jpid=6, cheaper than O'Reilly at $42 for the pair.

Checked some of the other prices as well at RockAuto while I was there, inner tie rods - $76, Tie Rod adjusting sleeves - $17, these are both MOOG and the price I show is for two of each.

So as compared too Falcon Enterprises total price that was $205; Centerlink - $140 (still FE) + Inner tie rods - $76 + Adjusting Sleeves - $15 = $231 so it is higher but the prices at RockAuto are for MOOG items and I don't know what Falcon Enterprise products are, RA also lists a cheaper line made by Federal Mogul where the tie rod sleeves are $2 each and the inner tie rods are $14 each which would certainly take the cost down :roll:

Guess if I wanted to try the cheaper stuff (not super keen on budget steering parts) the cost would be including the Cougar outers Roy recommended; centerlink(FE) $140+inner tie rods $28+adjusting sleeves $4+Cougar outers $13= Total $185, one note, in the pictures the economy parts don't appear to have any greasezerks.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Rocket989 wrote:Cool!! Does your steering box have a 1" or 1 1/8" sector shaft? If the latter, you'll need a '67 Mustang power steering pitman arm.
Ya mine is a V8 car I knew about needing the 'stang piece.
Fred