Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote
Based on what you said, there's one more Con that trumps everything else: #7, Your heart's just not in it. You've been planning your I6 Comet project for YEARS, and it's finally starting to happen. Why take a left turn down a rabbit path now? Do you have a PU truck now? If the 97 is in as good a shape as you say, and with low mileage, too, sell you daily driver truck and use the 97 instead. You don't have the emotional attachment to the current truck that you have to the 97, and you can use that money on your Comet, your shed, etc., while honoring your dad's memory. You'll be a lot prouder of showing off that simple I6 with its triple carbs, that you built from scratch 8) , when you're in California at the end of Rt66, than showing off a V6 all covered in hoses, plastic shrouds and sensors :roll: . And that advice is worth every cent you paid for it. :lol:
Jim

Yea what Jim says & I'll add this to it;if it breaks down which one had you rather try to fix on the side of the road?
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I agree with Jim & Johno. You'll have the best of 2 worlds. Your dad's truck and the car of your dreams.
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

lavron wrote:
tomb22 wrote:What are you using for the inner bushings on your control arms.
I think they are all rubber (they are not two piece but appear moulded in place with a metal sleeve in the middle), I have some heim joints that I am going to use on one end of the uppers.

See Ya,
Mike
That sounds great Mike, but if you plan on using the car as a daily driver, the heim joints will start rattling. Just saying. Rubber is what the manufacturers use for quietness and flexibility.
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

STAY with the original plan......why change saddles in the middle of the race??? sell the v6 truck,or the one you drive daily,,besides your settin yourself up for a boat load of work...and it will put you further behind on the comet.....but on the other hand,it's YOU,calling the last shot...best of luck in either way you choose.... :!: :? :| ...the straight 6 is the way to go..or a sb v8....not a v6 !!!.....just my way of seeing it :!: :shock: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I think I’ve been beaten into submission. The 250 is already a cool transplant & you’ve got a lot of takin’ on already. It would be a heck of a lot more work. Drill back through Fred’s thread... :shock:

I get the sentiment & I had an F-150 with that same engine (‘02 std. cab long bed 5-spd, but was 4x4). No complaints on how it ran!! Use the truck & 250’ize the Comet - more room for a hair dryer anyway!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Groover

Post by Groover »

Leave the gun, take the cannoli...

no, wait...

keep 'em both (the i6 Comet and the truck) and buy a little car-port shed.

I think it's all been said pretty well above. I say stick with the plan (that triple carb photo is awesome), and if you can't part with the truck (who doesn't need an extra truck around?), get one of them car-ports and park it underneath. Get the Comet inside and the work will go quicker.

THEN... if you maintain the attachment to the truck... in a few years, start ANOTHER Comet project and invite Ratical to drop by for a sketching session... and stuff that truck engine in that one ;) Maybe a wagon (oh, wait, that's my fantasy project).
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

A wagon - you & me both Groover!!! :D :lol:

loman

Post by loman »

If it was my choice, I would stay with the straight 6. I would concentrate on getting the drivetrain completed so you can start driving it around and enjoy the car from behind the wheel. It sounds like you have everything to get it rolling. For me, once it was drivable that would encourage me to do more. I also understand the sentiment but if you are not going to drive the truck, I would sell it and use the money towards getting the Comet going.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am seeing a consensus :P

Thanks for the input, and certainly this is more about the Comet and not really about the truck, if the motor does not come out of the truck it will stay as is, I need to add onto the shed anyway just for old tractors :roll: but not until the Comet is rolling again 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I went out today and installed the V6 input shaft back in the T-5, this is unrelated to truck question it needed to go back in for the 3.8L bell housing and flywheel I am using on the T-5 Swap.

I didn't take any pictures because you can go back in this build thread and see how it is done :?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Yesterday I got rear bag mounts and a replacement pair end links for the fronts of the lower bars, the end links are larger forged ones with a smaller 1/2" hole, these measure 2" wide so they should fit in the spring pocket better with just maybe a washer on each side (I think the spring is 2.5" wide) I could probably use the current leaf spring bolts but I bought a pair of 1/2" X 7" long grade 8 bolts today, according to Rod and Custom instructions on their bolt in four link they supply 6.5" long bolts but I couldn't find any, only 6" and 7" long ones.

The bag plates are for a truck I think because they fit right on the 8.8 and are 1/4" thick steel, really nice looking parts, I think they were around $40 for the pair of a upper and lower set.

The only concern I have right now is if the shocks will hit the air bags and I am not sure how I can have a rear sway bar if any, there is a lot going on back there (maybe I don't need one even) I might be able to have it mount under the rear diff. if I decide I must have it :roll:

I will keep trying to make progress.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mike if you get a 1'' or bigger front sway bar you wont need a rear sway bar.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right on!! :) I talked with a guy at the show who had a 4-link setup (TCI I think) in a ‘60 Falcon using an 8.8 rear. Pretty spiffy setup, but yeah...no bags and he had a top mount sway bar. Still not a lot of room (for exhaust or much of anything else).

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Might want a rear bar with a 4-link & bags though. I’m trying to think how you could mount the bar below the axle & get the same effects...

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:I’m trying to think how you could mount the bar below the axle & get the same effects...
I don't think it matters as long as the ends are anchored on the frame it does the same thing, but I could be wrong :roll: it just has to twist the bar to keep the body stiffer (I think) from rolling or swaying. Never understood why we call them sway bars when they are actually anti-sway/roll bars I guess it is easier to say.

I could get something like this from Welder Series but really hate to spend on those when I have one on the car right now and I have the Explorer one as well;

https://www.welderseries.com/Universal- ... -p49762034
poboyjo65 wrote:Mike if you get a 1'' or bigger front sway bar you wont need a rear sway bar.
My thoughts as well John, it is not a top priority by any means and could be added if needed, if I can fit it :P

Next opportunity I get I will drag the Explorer bar out and see if it would clear, be wide enough, not too wide, etc. to mount under the rear, W.S. has the one that mounts to the bottom of the coil over/shock mounts as well. My sway bar on the Comet right now is an Addco or it is made like one and is the proper width for my frame (it is not a universal bar) it may or may not be able to be mounted under the rear diff. and like I said I don't know if it would clear the lower 4 link mounts anyway, trust me I will try to fit what I have before I go out and buy another :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread