Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
RideAndShoot

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by RideAndShoot »

Looks good! Gotta get a shot with the hood and roof blacked out now.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Trunk Lid top done, certainly not perfect but I was not going to spend a lot of time on this, there are a few dents (like hail, etc) on the trunk lid just not going to fix them.

I aslo "repaired" some rust along the back edge on each corner and fixed where the dealer emblem used to be.

I did not take any pictures of the process of doing this because I don't want to encourage anyone else into doing the same, the proper way to fix this trunk lid is to get a non rusty one :roll: I will be doing a fix to the underneath side of the lid next and will show the results.

I am curious to see how long these fixes last until the rust starts to show through again so figure this as an experiment :P I wouldn't regular spend the time on this when I am going to change it out eventually but I am curious, really I did better job than some of the hacks I have seen on YouTube so you never know it might last a few years :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Aww, c’mon - you can’t NOT tell us what ya did!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Aww, c’mon - you can’t NOT tell us what ya did!! :D :lol: :lol:
As promised here is the next and pretty much the final on my trunk lid that I am still not talking about too much, I did take more pictures but think I should keep them to myself for now :roll:

Here the big gaping hole in the bottom of my trunk lid (drivers side, rear)

And now magically I don't have a giant hole anymore.

It is not the best job and finally I just stopped on it and called it good enough, I could have made it look better but thought why?

It is a serviceable lid now even though it still has a few rust holes I did not fix, there is a good area for the trunk seal to go up against (steel even) so with very little prep I sprayed the bottom of the lid with truck bed liner.

And put it back on the car after spraying a little liner on the hinges, I think to the casual observer they will never notice and it is good enough for me until I change it out someday.

The trunk lid is done except for final primer and paint on the top side so time to move on to something else.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

To say it looks a lot better would be an understatement!! :lol:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Time to do something about this rusty trunk lid weatherstrip lip, or whatever it is called :roll: (the gutter channel that holds the weatherstrip to the body)

Remember it was rusty too.

So I patched it up, probably not the best way but it involved wire brushing, grinding, sanding and a lot of POR15, plus some added metal, not perfect, and I did not fix all the spots rusted away but cleaned them of rust and POR15 on both sides so hopefully they will not rust again too quickly. I actually primed and painted this the color I am going to do the Comet and used truck bed liner on the inside edge because I am going to do the whole trunk that way eventually (ignore my overspray on to the paint in spots, I was in a hurry and did not mask only held cardboard up sorta kinda prevent overspray)

Lastly I dry test fitted my new weatherstrip in place, it fit good but looks like I will have to tape in the corners when I finally glue it in.

It was hard to overcome the temptation to glue it in but I think I better wait until after the trunk floor is fixed and I paint the car.

Next up? Who knows?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Started moulding these on today, obviously I am not finished, I ran out of time (daylight) so I shot them with some self etch primer because they are calling for rain tomorrow. I guess I can use it as a guide coat :roll:

I epoxied them on first and this is after a coat of Bondo Glass and a second coat of filler that I rushed and probably sanded too much off, I will get it knocked out eventually :P

My trunk lid is not too low, it has no latch, weatherstrip or bumpers on it right now, well as you can see it is held shut with a big zip tie and an old bungie cord, it easy to open at least.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Didn't rain this morning so I got a chance to do a little more. Getting there;

One thing to note, do not use self etching primer as a quick protection coat, that stuff does not sand :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Looks good Mike!! You could use hood pins on the deck lid ala my heap...just don’t forget where you put ‘em! I might have done that a time or two!! :lol:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:You could use hood pins on the deck lid ala my heap
I have all the parts just don't have them on there. I may look and see about getting some new rubber trunk bumpers because after 55 years most of the rubber stuff is hard, of course I don't know if those two bumpers are supposed to be hard or if they are meant to have some give?

Also moulding those rear fender extensions on is not such an easy thing, there are so many compound curves and different angles it is tough to get a smooth transition, hopefully I will get it so you can't tell they weren't always one part, I need to find some contour filler (polyester filler) or order some from Eastwood.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

They’re not squishy when new but not 55-year old crusty either! :lol:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rain has slowed me down to a stand still :roll: I am not complaining too much because we need the rain.

Will get set back a bit with my aunt moving, going down in a couple of weeks to her new house to do some repair work before she moves in.

I did buy some some polyester filler so going to do a skim with it on my rear extensions whenever I get chance, hopefully that will get them finished up so I can move on. I dug my rear trim panels out (when I found them) so I think I might go ahead and paint them to match my grill, been watching a few powder coating videos so of course I want to get set up to do that now :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Think these are done for now until I prep, prime, block and paint the entire car.

I think they turned out pretty good but might need a little work when I block the car eventually, for now they are moulded on and protected with a good layer of primer.

I should not have run my dusty hand across this, but here is a closer picture.

I also gave the rear panel a quick sand and prime while I was there.

Now on to something else, I guess whatever moves me :roll: I really need to get the doors de-rusted and primed.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

A question:
Are you eliminating the “eye brow” trim that is attached to the die case end caps? If you are planning to use them how will you attach them? If you do not install them then the trunk trim and the large trim under the tail lamp housings will not look complete. ( the four pieces usually form an “oval around the tail lamps)
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Your body work looks great, Mike. 8)
Jim