Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

Today I mocked up my rear triangulated 4 link, I measured a lot between the parts car and my Comet to get the proper spacing and level with my proposed +/-2" drop. A big thanks to BigDan for the idea to use large hose clamps to attach the brackets temporarily made the job much easier.

Using the shorter bars on the bottom they come out where they will bolt into the front leaf spring mount kinda like a Rod & Custom bolt in 4 link, this is with them set to the proper ride height and the correct pinion angle and the correct distance apart (will tweak them once I actually have the car ready) I am pretty sure, at this time, they are in the proper position to center the wheel in the opening (basically around a 1/2" to 1" back from stock position)

I also used some 2X4 pieces to roughly represent the frame position so I could see what I was going have to do for the rear bag mount (you can see where the bars would need to be cut at the frame, I have some left hand heim joints and a tap to retap the tubes). The bucket represents an air bag and is actually a bit larger around than the bags will be (the smaller part toward the bottom) so I will probably have to mount the bags on top of the axle but there should be plenty of height to do it. I just might be able to squeeze my exhaust near the pumpkin and get it out the rear on the car. :roll:

poboyjo65 wrote:Dont worry about the gathering, it's the next unexpected obstacle of life & of course the honey-do's that will getcha!
I am not too worried but I believe I was challenged several times to get my Comet there next year :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Digging your setup! It’s what I plan on doing to mine as well! You could always go with Lake pipes, and eliminate the need to go out the back.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Good visuals!! :) :) Yeah...you can always work the exhaust last. I used 2” (ID) PVC to mock it up. For sure over axle I could see it being a bit of a PITA but it makes ordering/cutting the right bends & welding-up a lot easier!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looks great Mike.
What are you using for the inner bushings on your control arms. Be careful to not use all polyurethane bushings. When all of them are polyurethane you have a chance of the rear end binding up.
Tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:What are you using for the inner bushings on your control arms.
I think they are all rubber (they are not two piece but appear moulded in place with a metal sleeve in the middle), I have some heim joints that I am going to use on one end of the uppers.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Looking good! Are you using the welder series kit or something similar? Is your plan to use the longer bars on the top? There's a lot of info out there to help get it set up correctly which helps alot. When you start on the car, I'd pick up a few of those inexpensive angle finders to help with setup. Takes alot of the guesswork out. Good luck!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Are you using the welder series kit or something similar?
It is a cheap kit from Johnny Law, I think, I have had it for a long time, I bought it off of eBay.
bigdan wrote:Is your plan to use the longer bars on the top?
I am using the longer bars on top but I am going cut them approx. where the brackets are hitting the 2X4s (or near to what that is on the actual car) I have some extra screw in heim joints I bought to use on one end and a large tap to cut new threads.
bigdan wrote:There's a lot of info out there to help get it set up correctly which helps alot.
Been studying installs from a bunch of different makers and scouring through the internet for whatever I can find.
bigdan wrote:When you start on the car, I'd pick up a few of those inexpensive angle finders to help with setup. Takes alot of the guesswork out.
I believe I have more than one of those, I was using one yesterday to get the pinion angle and brackets straight.

I think I have pretty much every question I had answered in my mind, I am sure that will change when I actually start putting it on the Comet.

Thanks for all the help from everyone 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I had a blast installing mine since I truly love fab work. One of my favorite parts of my project for sure. A few of those little magnetic conduit levels help also. Post plenty of pics!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I need help, I am not sure my build thread is the right place to post this but it does concern my Comet so I guess this is where it is. :roll:

There is something I have been mulling over in my mind quite some time but I can't get it fully out of my head nor commit to it and I want to explain a little.

First I am a fairly sentimental guy so that works against me often :P I keep things around because they remind me of people or experiences, one such thing is my Dad's 1997 F150, it was last licensed in 2013 so it has not moved from the shed, most have heard me talk about it :roll: but it has 59,000 miles on it and has always been parked inside, so a rust free body and fairly perfect paint, it is not valuable it is a 2WD, long wheelbase, V6, base model truck with only A/C, automatic and a radio (it has crank windows).

Now with that said, my Comet is nothing special either, 202 with no options, you can't get any more base model than it :P of course you all know I have been working on it quite some time and I do stuff a little different :roll: I really like my little I6's :P I am hard core maybe :roll:

So that leads me to my dilemma or what I have been thinking on and where I need some input from whoever will give it, pros and cons as it might be :? I am considering ditching my 250 project and putting the motor out of the truck in my Comet, some of the reasons I am considering it are: #1 I have a perfectly running low mileage engine and most of the stuff to make it run. #2 a 4.2L is a stroked 3.8L so there are a lot of speed parts if I want to utilize them down the road. #3 I would still have a big part of my dad's truck and actually might drive it. #4 the truck is sitting in the shed taking up space (and with it gone I could avoid adding onto the shed and actually get the Comet inside) #5 I could probably sell the body of truck pretty easy because it is straight and rust free) #6 I could hang onto the AT in case I get too old to shift. #7 Related to #6 all the T5 stuff I have should bolt right onto the 4.2L. #8 It should be cheaper and faster than having all the machine work and fabrication done on the 250. #9 The truck has AC already so I can have it on the Comet cheaper.

I am sure there are more, but I have my CON list to do. #1 I love my I6s. #2 the 250 with multi carb setup is just cool 8) #3 I have bought several parts for the 250 and the 200. #4 Would the Comet still be what it was (I mean not like it would be with the M2 front and 8.8 rear, etc.) #5 I would be tearing up a perfectly good truck (that I never will drive). #6 Goes against my mandate to have no computers, etc on my Comet. That is all the cons I can come with at the moment.

I want to remind everyone what the purpose of the build on my Comet is, that is to drive it, and drive it. I want to drive it to PF, or coast to coast if I want too. As we were sitting under the tent at PF, Pops gave me this bit of advice "Build your Comet with it's final purpose in mind" (he may have thought I didn't like or listen to his advice :roll: )

Sway me one way or the other. Just remember these things; I probably won't ever sell the truck just for cash money and I will get the Comet on the road either way :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Since you’ll never sell the truck & you’re going M2 with the front end + your end goals, I’d stuff the 4.2 in the Comet. I’ll bet Fred can help with a few things.

Then you can find a serviceable 3 or 4V mod motor for the F-150 & a nice 67’ish mm turbo... :D

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

IMO,
Sell the truck to someone who needs it.
Build the 250
It will go anywherer you want,YOU,, can fix it when necessary and WAYYYYYY COOLER!!!
The V6 in the truck,, in most humble but accurate opinion,,,, is ugly.
Remember, you asked, just being honest.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

I know you said you wouldn’t want to sell the truck outright, but that’s probably the best option. Is there a younger kid that’s part of your family? Around 13-17 that would appreciate an older truck and respect it’s origins. If so, maybe sell it to them/there parents to keep it close to the family, honoring your dad, gaining the space and still coming out on top with your comet exactly how you want it.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

C’mon Fred!! Paint the block/heads Light Ford Blue, slap a cone filter on the front of the MAF... Shucks, slap a blower off a 3.8 on top (same engine family, just longer stroke right?)!! :D :D

A lot more work for sure but I think it’d be neat!

It does gimme a pause parting a low mileage truck like that but if it’s just gonna sit otherwise... or turn it into a LBL (Long Bed Lightning)!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Keep the truck, drive the truck some. just take a little ride now & then in the country.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Based on what you said, there's one more Con that trumps everything else: #7, Your heart's just not in it. You've been planning your I6 Comet project for YEARS, and it's finally starting to happen. Why take a left turn down a rabbit path now? Do you have a PU truck now? If the 97 is in as good a shape as you say, and with low mileage, too, sell you daily driver truck and use the 97 instead. You don't have the emotional attachment to the current truck that you have to the 97, and you can use that money on your Comet, your shed, etc., while honoring your dad's memory. You'll be a lot prouder of showing off that simple I6 with its triple carbs, that you built from scratch 8) , when you're in California at the end of Rt66, than showing off a V6 all covered in hoses, plastic shrouds and sensors :roll: . And that advice is worth every cent you paid for it. :lol:
Jim