Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

And I forgot to say it, but I am really happy that I have no rust in the drivers floor for the first time since (39 years) I have owned the Comet :D

It feels good to finally be repairing this stuff making my car more sound, she may not look like much but at least she will be more solid underneath.

I may slow down a bit in the next few weeks if I don't shoot Bambi on opening weekend, but I will still try to get something accomplished every day.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:And I forgot to say it, but I am really happy that I have no rust in the drivers floor for the first time since (39 years) I have owned the Comet :D

It feels good to finally be repairing this stuff making my car more sound, she may not look like much but at least she will be more solid underneath.

I may slow down a bit in the next few weeks if I don't shoot Bambi on opening weekend, but I will still try to get something accomplished every day.

See Ya,
Mike
shootin BAMBI is front and center on POP's list,,these comets are not.they'll be here after season...they are not going anywhere,am so thankful OL RED has been so dependable and trust worthy all these yrs....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Busy day but got out and did a little exploratory surgery on the passenger floor and cut a hunk out, at least I discovered the torque box looks ok so far up.

Hopefully I can report more later.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

So you may not have noticed that the picture site has been in maintenance mode the last few days, I messed it up trying to do an update (there was a string of about three, so not sure it was my fault) That being said I was going to contact support to get it fixed and this morning when I went to the page that was showing the error it showed the update had completed (just took 3 days) now everything appears fine.

So I patched the floor some on the passenger side (a few days ago) first I had hole along the edge of the rocker so I cut the rust out and made a patch from some of the scrap replacement floorpan, welded it in and then was cleaning everything up and grinding down my work and uncovered more rust along the seat riser and at the sub frame spot welds. You can see it in this picture along with the first patch.

Was thinking then I might need to get a passenger footwell but decided to give a try to do some patching for practice (I may or may not replace the floor still) and because the repair panels are not factory appearing (for the cheap ones) so I may as well patch this one or make my own, here is part way through the process, I cut the patch out of the parts car floor, it has been primed (still wet in picture) to protect from rust :roll:

Definitely not pretty and lots of holes still but may keep on working on it for as little while before I throw in the towel and just cut the whole thing out :P

PS - I found the Mustang replacement torque box and I should be able to alter it to repair my rusty one.

Snowing like Christmas today (November 12th) probably stay in the house and keep Bambi safe another day.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Cobraguy

Post by Cobraguy »

Hey Mike I got my oil pan almost all done. it fits everywhere and it doesn't leak. I'm building the new pickup tube and need to poke a hole in the side of the sump for the relocated dip stick tube. I'm going to finish it off with an epoxy coat on the outside just in case I missed any weepers. I wish I was tech savy enough to throw some pictures up because it actually came out really nice. I'm confident you can do the same with yours. Just go slow and know you'll be going over spots again. Get good lighting where your welding. Wearing 2.0 reading glasses under my welding hood improved my welds immensely. Your Comet is looking great.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Mike, on the second picture how far apart are your spot/plug welds on the left side of the picture? Looks like you may want to keep them a little closer. I try to keep them a inch or inch and a half apart. Can't tell in the picture. Another thing is don't forget to use seam seal on all the welds and seams you weld.

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote: on the second picture how far apart are your spot/plug welds on the left side of the picture? Looks like you may want to keep them a little closer. I try to keep them a inch or inch and a half apart.
Good info Lou, they are probably 1.5 to 2" apart, that is not a very big patch, 8" long maybe at the most (just guessing) I will try to keep them closer together going forward. I have a couple of dodgy places on the big patch that I cut back out and will try and get fixed tomorrow, I was trying my hand at butt welding it in and not sure I did all that well, hopefully I learned something :roll:

Going to try and use a piece of copper to back up some weld spots and see how that works for me as a blow out prevention.
Cobraguy wrote:I'm confident you can do the same with yours. Just go slow and know you'll be going over spots again. Get good lighting where your welding. Wearing 2.0 reading glasses under my welding hood improved my welds immensely. Your Comet is looking great.
Thanks I hope I can get it done, I will probably be working on my pan soon, I totally agree on the lighting, I struggle with that a lot, I might have to get some 2.5 reading glasses, I already wear 2.0 just to see :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got another patch in on the passenger floor, now all that is left is to repair this nasty torque box.

If I was doing it again I would just replace the whole footwell like I did on the drivers side, but what is done is done. I do have the toe board for the passenger side so once the torque box is repaired it should be easier.

I think I am getting a little better at welding the patches in, however, and that was part of the reason I was doing it this way so that is a plus.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Just to confirm, that big round hole in the floor that had a rubber plug in it and then a bunch of seam sealer glopped on it, serves no purpose and could have a plug welded in it? (the one in the mid-lower right of the picture above)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I welded mine up. I think its purpose was at the factory.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I was told those large holes were for alignment of panels and assembly line work. Of course I can't swear to that . . . But it makes sense to me. Mine are long gone . . . .Looking good as always!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I think its purpose was at the factory.
bigdan wrote:I was told those large holes were for alignment of panels and assembly line work.
That is what I thought, I figured that was what the one at the rear of the subframe was for as well because it lines right up with the one in the bottom of the subframe.

The plug that was in there was all dried up and broke to pieces when I took it out so I figured welding it up would be the thing to do.

Thanks guys.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:Just to confirm, that big round hole in the floor that had a rubber plug in it and then a bunch of seam sealer glopped on it, serves no purpose and could have a plug welded in it? (the one in the mid-lower right of the picture above)

See Ya,
Mike
Yes you can weld the hole(s) up. The holes in the floor pans were drainage holes for use at the factory, these allowed drainage after the car was dipped.

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well seems I missed posting the close of the 5th month progess, oh well really haven't had opportunity to do too much the last 4 days.

So here is my summary for the 5th month and what I have gotten done so far;

June 15th - July 15th; Pushed into the shed, removed all the drivetrain (front and rear suspension, engine, transmission, exhaust) started installing rear 4-link.

July 15th - August 15th; Finished the rear 4-link install (98%) and started on front M2 install.

August 15th - Sept 15th; All suspension components installed, steering installed, airbags installed at least to test.

September 15th - October 15th; Got both the master cylinders mounted, the pedals and firewall mount cleaned up, wiring harness completely stripped out, cleaned up the firewall and painted, mocked up the engine and transmission and built the mounts for both, mocked up my front seats, front brake calipers installed.

CURRENT: October 15th - November 15th; Ran all my brake lines except the one that runs from the front to rear, finished up my steering wheel, built the air ride control box and hooked it up and tested the air ride, repaired and patched the drivers torque box, toe board and floorboard, started repairing the passenger side floorboard by welding several patches in. I guess you could put in there that I started planning out my new electrical harness/system, of course certainly I tinkered on a few things.

Maybe not as much as before but I also was doing a little deer hunting during November and had some other things came up non-Comet related.

Right now, my plans are pretty open for month 6, I want to finish the floor patching for sure, the rest we will see. Part of what I do will depend on what supplies I have on hand or readily available, of course the holidays are going to put a little damper on my work.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to follow my build and pitching in when they can.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:Maybe not as much as before but I also was doing a little deer hunting during November and had some other things came up non-Comet related.
Right now, my plans are pretty open for month 6, I want to finish the floor patching for sure, the rest we will see. Part of what I do will depend on what supplies I have on hand or readily available, of course the holidays are going to put a little damper on my work.
Mike....you've accomplished a phenomenal amount of work in a short time. I hope I'm as productive as you've been when I get my project underway. However, we've both built our houses, and you know how that went. The early stages go fairly quickly, and you go from an empty lot to a dried in structure in a few weeks. Then you get into the plumbing and the wiring and the sheetrock and the trim, etc., etc., and things slow down. The details take more time, and the progress is less obvious and maybe less gratifying. Don't fret about trying to make the same level of progress every month that you did early on. And don't feel guilty about taking some time to do the other things you and your wife want to do. The car will wait 'til you get back to it, and probably thank you for resuming work refreshed and with new zeal. Take a break over the holidays, and thumb back through your build thread. I think you'll be impressed. I am. :wink:
Jim