Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
tomb22

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys
I painted 2 coats of base then 2 coats of clear, sanded the next day and then 2 more coats of clear. I'm going to start sanding and buffing tomorrow.
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looks good from here :D :!: good luck,,,, pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:Thanks guys
I painted 2 coats of base then 2 coats of clear, sanded the next day and then 2 more coats of clear. I'm going to start sanding and buffing tomorrow.
NICE!. I plan on doing the same. Couple coats of clear, sand and few more coats of clear. I will prob wait a week or so to sand and recoat with clear, then 2 weeks+ to sand and buff. But the clear I am using is not the quickest drying.

IMO this is th most rewarding part. Everything from here out just makes the car look even better. The sanding buffing, reassembly, detailing, etc.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I'm looking forward to the reassembling part and adding all the updates. I never dreamed this painting thing would take the whole summer. Seems like all I did was sand every day when I got a chance to work on it.
tomb's 65

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

It's looking real good. As Lou said getting the paint on is about the most rewarding part. I didn't have a lot of motivation to work on mine till it got painted. Once mine was looking good I couldn't spend enough time working on it and getting it finally together. Couldn't wait to get it so I could drive it and finally enjoy if after over 25 years. Taking that first drive and going further than just to the corner was a day of sheer joy. Was great to take a drive around town and finally enjoy it. Waited a long time for that first run. :D :D :D
Keep at it and you'll be doing the same thing.
Ron

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks Ron. My plan is to work on it all winter and drive it this spring.
tomb's 65

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If it motivates you the way it did me you'll have it done In no time.
Ron

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Well I got my car moved into the heated garage and have been sanding and buffing. After buffing the cowl I realized I missed bondoing some small dents right where I would see them every time I get in and out of the car. Bummer
So with some advise from Lou I sanded down the cowl and the top of dash because I didn't like it either. Put a little bit of bondo on and sealed it. Will scuff it up in a few days and apply some color and clear.

Last edited by tomb22 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Looks mighty smooth now!! :lol: :lol: I might have missed it - after you finish the re-do the cowl, what’s left to paint??
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

The painting will be done but the sanding and buffing isin't.
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I
Tom if you leave the top of that dash red you will be looking at it a LOT! the reflection in the windshield of it will be right in the line of sight of the road ahead. some people it does not bother but even a white pen or small piece of paper laying up there,the reflection of it drives me nuts. & then there is the glare of the gloss. But it will certainly look good!! :D
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I
Tom if you leave the top of that dash red you will be looking at it a LOT! the reflection in the windshield of it will be right in the line of sight of the road ahead. some people it does not bother but even a white pen or small piece of paper laying up there,the reflection of it drives me nuts. & then there is the glare of the gloss. But it will certainly look good!! :D
Thanks for the heads up John. I never thought of that.
I guess if it is to reflective I will have to dull it up a little.
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Got the cowl and dash repainted today and the dash ended up pretty shiny.

Last edited by tomb22 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Tomb!

Yea mine is shiny too. Thought about it a lot before painting it, decided to do it shiny. If the reflection is too much then I will cover it or paint it a satin.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Lou's Comet wrote:Looks good Tomb!

Yea mine is shiny too. Thought about it a lot before painting it, decided to do it shiny. If the reflection is too much then I will cover it or paint it a satin.

Lou
Thanks Lou
Could you buff it with some course compound to dull it up?
tomb's 65