Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:Looks good Tomb!

Yea mine is shiny too. Thought about it a lot before painting it, decided to do it shiny. If the reflection is too much then I will cover it or paint it a satin.

Lou
Thanks Lou
Could you buff it with some course compound to dull it up?
I don't think that would work. Would make it smoother, which would just make it shinier with scratches from the course compound.

Mine is black so I could spray it with a can of satin black if need be, think I could pull it off even with windshield in. But I would try some sort of cover first if the glare becomes too much.

Yours being red you could cover it or spray it with some satin clear if the glare bothers you.

Hoping the glare isn't too bad,,,, but it is a concern.

Lou

gearhasher

Post by gearhasher »

You and I are cut from the same cloth. Great job fixing what you didn't like, you're doing it right. I can certainly appreciate all the hard work you're putting into your restoration. It's looking great!

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks gearhasher. Cant what to get past this painting and buffing part. I want to be putting it back together.
tomb's 65

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Coming right along and looking good. We kind of have a standing joke when something has to be done over, "It's costing the company millions". And body work is probably the one thing I really don't want to do. But, that's is what I'm doing today. Weather here is perfect for painting.
I hope to have the Falcon dash sprayed this afternoon.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Lip Ripper wrote:Coming right along and looking good. We kind of have a standing joke when something has to be done over, "It's costing the company millions". And body work is probably the one thing I really don't want to do. But, that's is what I'm doing today. Weather here is perfect for painting.
I hope to have the Falcon dash sprayed this afternoon.

Stacey
Thanks Stacey
I redid the dash again. I sanded it down and sprayed a satin clear on it. I figured it would be a lot easier now then later if there was a glare on the windshield. Hopefully this is the end of the painting.

Tom

Last edited by tomb22 on Fri May 04, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

It's been a while since I posted what I've been up to, so here is an update. I've been rewiring the the car and have the engine bay finished. This picture shows the high amp terminal block, wire harness I made and the weather proof connector at the fire wall installed

This picture shows the relay/fuse box for the lights and fans installed where the voltage regulator was. You can also see the adjustable thermostat for the electric fans.

Last edited by tomb22 on Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looking good Tom, all looks neat. :D
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks clean!! And very easy to get to. What did you cover the wires with? Fuel line?

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys. I used 5/8" Flexo-Pet expandable braided wire loom to cover the wires. It goes from 3/8" to 1" diameter. It's pretty easy to work with
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I haven't posted for a while, but been busy working on it. Have all the wires in place and I bought the Classic-auto Air kit for a 65 Mustang with custom plumbing hoses and fittings. So far I've been pretty impressed with the kit. Here is the evaporator with a heater core. It fits real good under the dash.

Here is a picture of the condenser installed with a pusher fan and a transmission cooler installed on top of the condenser.

Picture of the A/C compressor and hoses. The orange wire loom goes to a water metering valve for controlled heat. I had to fabricate a mount for the compressor.

This is another view of the hoses. You can also see the cruise control which is wired in and connected to the carburetor.

I sure hope all this works. I'm just about done under the hood except for insulating it. Looking forward to firing it up for the first time.
Thanks for looking
tom
Last edited by tomb22 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great, Tom! What make is the cruise control, and where did you get it?
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Looks great, Tom! What make is the cruise control, and where did you get it?
Jim
Thanks Jim. I bought the Rostra-250-1223-Universal-Cruise-Control-Kit-with-250-3421-Adjustable-Handle from "thecruisecontrolstore" on ebay. A lot of good things have been said about this brand and I hope it works well.
Tom
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Lookin’ good Tom!! I missed that you’re using the EFI valve covers...can’t tell from the pic but did you drill a hole for a PCV or mount in an intake runner?
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Looking good Tom, a very neat installation,everything looks like it belongs there. This summer when I roll my windows down,I'll think of your A/C installation. Andy

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Rocket989 wrote:Lookin’ good Tom!! I missed that you’re using the EFI valve covers...can’t tell from the pic but did you drill a hole for a PCV or mount in an intake runner?
Thanks Rocket. So far I installed a new breather in the right hand valve cover and then I was going to install a hose from the left hand valve cover oil fill location to the bottom of the air cleaner. No PCV valve????? I want the crankcase to breath but not wanting any lean cylinders.
Tom
tomb's 65