The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
caseville cyclone

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by caseville cyclone »

Fantastic job,those headlight bezels turn out first class!!!! Andy

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks Andy. I hope they last. I did put extra epoxy on the inside to strengthen them.
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Here's the finished product. Tried to keep it original looking.

Thanks for looking
Tom
Last edited by tomb22 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BOY o BOY,,THAT IS PRETTY..my friend you did good.......pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That is a very clean retro/original gauge cluster. 8)
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks POP and Jim. I hope the rest of the dash looks as good.
After seeing Stacey's counsel I got inspired to make my own also. I was looking all over the internet for counsels and came up with zilch. So I got cardboard like Stacey and put something together. Here is the final wood product that needs to be covered with vinyl.

Here is another picture and you can see a relay box that will be hidden behind the counsel. The relay box controls the remote entery, overdrive delete, and the security system.

Thanks for looking
Tom
Last edited by tomb22 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

console looks great Tom! just like the rest of your build - top notch! I think the light at the end of that long tunnel is visible now ,,,right? :lol: I know that feels good. :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great, Tom. :D
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks again guys. I would like to drive it by June but I'm not going to rush it.
Tom
tomb's 65

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

bravo ! Nice Job on the gauges and the console .We must be telpathically connected.
As first we have the same thoughts on gauges and now the console .Your way ahead I just got my rear end together (literally) .and hope to have the car done for June but of 2023 in time for my 55 bday. Did you use speed hut gauges by chance? I am so looking forward to seeing your console done. My car is all resto mod so I was going to try something similar ,I was thinking of squeezing In a double din deck that has a 7 inch screen slide out for navigation and perhaps Back up camera. or just double din with Display. That will get the ire up of the Purists .. great thread keep up the fantastic work

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks Kingspeedy. I wish I was some wares near 55.
The gauges are speedhut's. I liked the fact you can pretty much design the way you want them. The fuel gauge and speedometer are programmable to your car which makes it nice to calibrate. My cruise control picks up a signal from the speedometer for knowing how fast I'm going. Cain't wait to see if it all works. A navigation system would be nice along with rear camera. I pretty much used up all the space under the dash in the counsel for other things. I will be putting in a USB charger, a USB input and aux input for the radio on the front cover.
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

It's been a while sense I've posted anything, so here is an update. I welded up a new exhaust system using the old pipes which where only two years old. Used a lot of couplings; had to move the H pipe back and the mufflers forward. Rerouted the pipes around the quad link and got everything up out of site as best I could. Installed custom emergency cables and got them hooked up to the original mechanism on the transmission mount.
I installed new transmission cooling lines and did a little wiring for the trunk release. Exchanged places of the catch and locking mechanism so I could install a solenoid to open the trunk and a safety cable encase the battery goes dead in the trunk. Here are a couple pictures that shows this.

After a little debate with myself I decided to get a new radiator with the outlet on the drivers side. I had gotten a hose to work with the old radiator but it was lying on the anti roll bar and about 1/2" away from the harmonic balancer. Here's the new radiator.

I'm getting closer.
Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right-on Tom - keep whupping it!!! Got any pics of the exhaust?? :D :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great! What was your source for the solenoid?
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Rocket989 wrote:Right-on Tom - keep whupping it!!! Got any pics of the exhaust?? :D :lol:
Here are some pictures of the exhaust Rocket Man. I ended up being right under the frame rail above the axle then the frame offsets out so the pipes end up inside of the frame towards the back and then I turned them down in front of the bumper

If you need more, let me know
tomb's 65