Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I think a 64 pocket is alike on both sides right?
I think. Mine is rusty so it needs replaced anyway and I am going to put a 16 gal Mustang tank in anyway so it is shorter I believe.

I wonder if I can use Mustang patch panels in my trunk, I am not sure what they look like, I know the tank in thicker, and shorter but should fit if my measurements are correct.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If the stang one doesn't work there are falcon trunk floors now,,,but more expensive.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am sure the Mustang one would require modification, but I am sure they are numerous.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I learned how to put my rear in pretty quick. I would have the tires on it & roll it under there. of course it was a little different - leaf springs bolted to the axle. I would push from the back eyes & get it lined up then push down,making the front eye go up starting in to the pocket. usually had to give the front eyes a few love taps with a bfh until I put on the caltracs ,,then the rubber bushings were gone ,,they were the resistance, so it went in easier then. after the front bolts were in I could just jack up the rear until the rear eye touched the frame & ease it up until the shackle slid right in. By the last time I could put in & everything tight in about 15-20 min ,,,except the d-shaft. Your pics remind me of doing mine. really nice to watch for a change!! It coming right along nicely, looking good! & thanks for keeping us posted!! :D
I think I spent 15-20 min rethinking how to attack the problem. I know it took most of the afternoon to get it in there. Anyway I'm ready to take the transmission and engine out of it now.
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

lavron wrote:I really like seeing these because I am going to do a triangulated 4-link as well so this gives me a preview.

See Ya,
Mike

If I where to do it again I would not go with the 45 degree angle with the tabs on top of the rear end. I would go with less angle so that the upper links would run into the frame. You can see that in the second to last photo. The top links would then be a little longer also. Maybe 40 degrees. They say you can go down to 30 degrees.
I also moved the rear end back an inch, so that didn't help either.. My starting point was welding the tabs on top of the rear end. I spent a ton of time making sure they where at a 45, lined up on top dead center and cutting them to fit.
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:If I where to do it again I would not go with the 45 degree angle with the tabs on top of the rear end.
My upper links are really long and I have plenty to work with, I figured I would locate my rear and then determine the tab locations to weld them on, I would like to avoid welding to the pumpkin like you did, and keep them out on the tubes if I can.

I will probably cut my rusty floor parts out before I start so I can have the room to work and then replace the floor to clear the rear suspension and hopefully mufflers that I am hoping to put back next to the gas tank if I can without the rear leaf springs being in the way back there.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

lavron wrote:
tomb22 wrote:If I where to do it again I would not go with the 45 degree angle with the tabs on top of the rear end.
My upper links are really long and I have plenty to work with, I figured I would locate my rear and then determine the tab locations to weld them on, I would like to avoid welding to the pumpkin like you did, and keep them out on the tubes if I can.

If you don't get enough angle on the upper links then you have to install a pan hard bar or a watts link and I didn't want to do that because it doesn't leave much room for exhaust pipes
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Haven't had much time to spend on this project, but I removed the engine and transmission from it. Both are good working units, a 260 and a C4 and they are up for sale.
Here is a picture of the 260

This is the 89 - 302 roller block almost ready to install. Next I will clean up the engine compartment, paint it and install new brake and fuel lines.
Last edited by tomb22 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

It's been a while sense I've posted anything on my build. I've welded up all the holes I don't need then shaved the shock towers so that the headers don't lay on them. I have painted the bottom, engine bay and the inside of the car. Installed new fuel and brake lines. Today I installed the engine, transmission and headers. Here are a few pics.

I tried to get a shot of the shaved shock tower

Here's just another view

Will be taking the car to get media blasted in a couple of weeks. For now I'm going to work on the exhaust and I have to come up with a drive shaft to fit the new AOD with 4R70W guts.
Last edited by tomb22 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOOKING GOOD !! keep chipping away at it ,,won't be long,,,,it will on the road !! I like that red engine...FORD use to paint them red ,,yrs ago when we built wife's 56 ford,we installed a 76 351w and I painted it red,,as the orginal 312ci y-block was red....keep up the good work !!...............POP
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' good! :wink: 8)
Jim

Loner

Post by Loner »

That is going to be one nice car when your done. Keep picking away at it and you will de driving it soon.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

LOOKIN GOOD`! :D
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys. Chipping away at it is a good way of describing it. It's 1:30 in the morning here and I've been working on fabricating a transmission mount for an AOD with a 4R70W tail piece all afternoon. Just got it tacked together after measuring and remeasuring a bazillion times.
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Here is the new transmission mount

Last edited by tomb22 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomb's 65