Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
tomb22

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by tomb22 »

Today I worked on the car most of the day. I took the rear shelf and wrapped it with black vinyl and cut holes for the roll bar supports and a new speaker in back. Then installed the shelf over the roll bar supports. My wife doesn't want to drive or ride in it without shoulder harnesses so I built a roll bar to mount new modern shoulder harnesses.
Here is a picture of it.

Then I started putting some of the dash together including the tach. Here is another picture.

Tomorrow I'll be going fishing in the morning so I don't know how much work I'll get done on the car.
Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Here is a picture of the roll bar. Just brought it inside after painting it.
Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That's awesome! :D :D Love to see a pic of the full setup installed.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Cool. I think I have enough vinyl to steal that idea.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looking good...done in good taste....pop :)
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys. I'm thinking in 3 weeks I might be able to fire it up. Looking forward to that.
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I took some pleated vinyl and had someone sew bright red thread in the pleats. I'm going to use this for the back seat and door panels. Here is a picture

Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Hooked up the battery the other day and was checking out the electrical system. Found a couple of gremlins. I was supposed to hook up the orange wire from the cruise control to light a light on the dash when it is on but I used the orange wire from the security system instead. HaHa Anyway that took half a day to figure out. Then my 79 F150 2 speed windshield wiper motor didn't work. I'm thinking I got ripped off on Ebay. So I took it out and tested it. Seems you need to ground the case of the motor and it works fine. There was a ground on the new switch so I figured I had that covered. I used the original mounting hardware which included rubber isolating grommets. Put it back in and made sure I grounded one of the bolts that bolts it in. Works good now but took most of a day to figure this one out.
That whole system was the first thing I put under the dash and it was a bear to take it out and put it back.
It's coming but a lot of putzy stuff.
Tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:I took some pleated vinyl and had someone sew bright red thread in the pleats. I'm going to use this for the back seat and door panels.
Looks good Tom, I think I am going to learn to sew when I get around to doing my interior, all the people that sewed in my family have passed away, my granny did the upholstery for me when I was in HS, it never matched after that because I put JY buckets in the front that were/are maroon velour :roll:

I figure if there was a talent to do it in my family maybe I got a little of it and instead of paying someone else to do it I could invest in a heavy duty sewing machine and watch a bunch YouTube :P

Keep it up.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I may have missed a post Tomb,did you paint your dash bezel? If so what did you find sticks? and how did you prep it?

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

lavron wrote:
tomb22 wrote:I took some pleated vinyl and had someone sew bright red thread in the pleats. I'm going to use this for the back seat and door panels.

I figure if there was a talent to do it in my family maybe I got a little of it and instead of paying someone else to do it I could invest in a heavy duty sewing machine and watch a bunch YouTube

Thanks Mike. I wish you all the best in sewing up your interior. I recovered some furniture and that took a lot of time sewing.
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:I may have missed a post Tomb,did you paint your dash bezel? If so what did you find sticks? and how did you prep it?
I painted it with VHT non-tarnishing epoxy finish. I took the pieces and sanded them to get all the rust pits smooth. The gauge bezel is plastic. Then sprayed this VHT on them lightly at first, let them dry and then put a heavy coat on them. The pits actually filled up with paint and it looks pretty smooth.
The dash pieces in the middle have the grooves and I couldn't get the pits all sanded out so I painted that flat black. I just used rustoleum spray cans.
The VHT I had to order from Amazon and that's a spray can also. The paint is shiny but more of a aluminum color.
I tried to primer the piece first, but the VHT would lift up the primer.

I was searching for some chrome paint and found where a guy did his own test with different makes of chrome called paint. Non of it is nice shiny chrome. This VHT was one of the best ones he tested. I bought 2 types and this one worked the best for me. Most of the other ones look good after painting but when you touch it, then it dulls up and you get a grey smear on the piece and on your hands.

I hope this helps you
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Well I've been trying to keep at it; between fishing and working on the car I've been busy. Got the back panels installed today and didn't turn out half bad. Here is a picture of one.

Next will be the back seat.
Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

loman

Post by loman »

Your panels look really good. Nice and clean.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

loman wrote:Your panels look really good. Nice and clean.
Thanks lowman. I wanted something simple
tomb's 65