Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Jims65cyclone

Re: Rocket's Comet Build

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Bell crank looks good. Mine's a mess, too, so it's on my list. The linkage between the crank and the carb is two separate rods that were laid side by side to get the right length, then hose-clamped together. Must have had problems slipping because they also tack-welded them together in a couple of spots. :roll: T-5 looks good, too. I'm watching that close 'cause I hope to replace my T-10 one day.
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks Jim! Yeah - I’ve seen some crazy stuff to get old throttle linkage stuff to “work”! :? :shock: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:

Looks kinda weak at the ankle to me. was cut thru the bead, has lost strength. If you added a gusset at the bottom I'd feel better about it. :lol: :lol: :lol: But seriously I would. Flexing could possibly cause a throttle to hang.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That’s a good idea - hadn’t thought about that, I just cut most of the old bottom off and welded it to the new mounting plate I made. That’s definitely solid but I see what you mean about potential fore/aft flex or bending. I’ll cut a small triangle out of 1/8” and tack to to the back of the upright & top of bottom plate.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea just a little triangle would help hold er stiff. you could even put it on the back side (looking at it).

I made bracket for a throttle cable that flexed on a truck & finally noticed it when someone else was pumping the pedal. sad way to loose HP :lol: :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

With the Holidays past, it's time to get back on it. I got rolling on my version of the Shelby GT350 side-exit exhaust...subbing 12-inch Race Bullets for the original glass packs... :lol: :lol: :shock:

I forgot to get a pic mocked-up on the car w/ jackstands. Exit is a little lower than ideal for looks but needed to clear the sub-frame connectors (one of this years projects). I sucked 'em up to give an 1/8' clearance. Tacked one each side of the joints & pulled them out to weld around.

Mocked-up in PVC:

Put together:

Welding up:

Pulleys and rad are back in and I'm done (I hope) with the hydraulic clutch sans bleeding it. I did notice the headers are way too close too the fuel line. I planned on replacing it but not until switching back to mechanical pump, etc. after motor was first run. Gotta figure that out... Hopefully the rest is just throwing junk back on. The brother got me a bad ass air cleaner for X-Mas so looking forward to seeing it bolted on! :D

comethead

Post by comethead »

Loving that exhaust!
I bought a GT350 kit from CJ Pony with original glass packs...hoping it all fits.
How are you going to clamp it where it exits and the sides? The Shelby’s had a funky clamp that looks pretty stout but they want $70 for them :shock:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I’m going to use some std. hangers further in & fab something where they exit.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looking good JH! I like the way side exits look & sound. I have them on my orange truck. But the downfall is where I park it in a skinny garage, has black spots on the walls :lol: :roll: & fumes up the garage before it is warm enough to back it out. That's what made me want rear exits on the comet, so I could tinker with it running in the shop & not get fumed out.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

It's begging for an X-pipe in front of those so-called mufflers man. Just do it.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:It's begging for an X-pipe in front of those so-called mufflers man. Just do it.
POP can hear it begging........I can hear it where I'm at.............now is the time :? :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

The side pipes look and sound great, but stay on top of keeping your rear wheels clean. I had 3" side pipes on my first Cyclone, and it sounded great. But I wasn't as conscientious as I should have been on cleaning my wheels, and after about a year I ended up having to sand blast my mags. They were cast finish Americans, and just had a dull appearance I couldn't wash clean and didn't match the front wheels.
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Stacey - Yah...no room for an X or H pipe w/ the current setup. At some point I'll roll a re-do with rear exit...like John said, getting gassed out is no fun. This was my cheap/fast (relatively) solution to get the heap back on the road. :D :D :lol: :mrgreen:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

your cheap fast solution is a lot better than my first cheap fast solution which was turn downs under the car. they stirred up dust in the shop,in the gravel drive, any dusty parking lot,,,everywhere!! Got the brand new bottom of my car ,rearend & all dusty :x & the bad thing is I should have know better,I used some turn downs I had bought a decade earlier but had forgotten the consequences & that the drone would rattle the fillings out of your teeth. but I found them & the bells I had sawed off,welded the bells back on,sanded the welds purty, only to saw them off again because the pipe coming out of the muffler was made small enough to go inside of the regular pipe size & didn't need a bell :roll: . it was one of them days I rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain :roll: :roll: .
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

My x-pipe is only a foot long and I got it through Walker dealer. It looks like it will fit right in your system. Something like this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex- ... gIhg_D_BwE
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.