Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Rocket's Comet Build

Post by lavron »

I actually bought a '90s model Mustang tunnel lever, after having to stop my Comet too many times with the under dash handle (and it is broken now) I decided to go with something with more leverage and where I could remain upright to apply. I am hoping it will be fairly easy to connect the Explorer cables to.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Mike - I think the floor needs to be reinforced where the handle goes, but that's just part of fab'ing stuff! :) I'm anticipating another custom cable, but worth it in the end!

John - yeah, they always hold better nose down! I do put in gear (depending on incline) when parked but the holding on its own thing is like when pulling out of garage to let it warm up (vs. inhaling a lot of CO). So I don't have to shut it off when I get out to close garage (ought to get another remote really!), or grabbing something I forgot, etc.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea if it is much of a grade I don't trust any park brake going backward out of gear,but a foot operated one seems to be the best to me,& would be less re-routing of the cable.I think Fred put a footbrake on his, you might look at his thread. Since you only want it for warm ups & you like the original, a linelock should hold it, & would be cool at redlights too! :lol: that together with the park brake would lock all 4 wheels. Just a couple more things to roll around in your head,if they're not rolling in there already :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yeah - a line-lock is on the long-term list anyway! :) Before the rear & p-brake swap, it'd hold. Totally different brakes though! Good idea on the foot brake; I'll take a look @ Fred's thread.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Got the "double-humper" finished up for now! The keen-eyed among you might notice a newer primary float bowl...no comment!! :lol: :shock: Still collecting engine parts and beating for time against the kitchen remodel (fair enough - I DO spend enough time on the Comet!!)...

...and the d*** cat,,,driving everybody nuts since it's too cold for her to go catch mice, snakes, squirrels, etc.!!! :roll: :roll: :x Dogs are even wary of her these days!
Last edited by Rocket989 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man that looks purty!! What size is it? Whats the engine specs? (If you already gave out the specifics sorry...) 8)
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Hey Joe!! 4776-2...600cfm. I did the power-valve check ball fix (and even drilled the hole right!) and electric choke conversion in addition to the Trick Kit. Will post more engine info tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep - nail gun with my name on it...!! :roll:

comethead

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:Hey Joe!! 4776-2...600cfm. I did the power-valve check ball fix (and even drilled the hole right!) and electric choke conversion in addition to the Trick Kit. Will post more engine info tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep - nail gun with my name on it...!! :roll:
Right on! Lookin good!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JH that looks good! Now,,No I didn't notice the newer bowl,, But! :lol: The ''No comment" had me wondering. Now I read that you drilled the hole right for the PW check ball. So I'm thinkin you used the first bowl for practice :o :lol: :wink: :D
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Nah, the PV thing goes in the baseplate. The original primary bowl may or may not have suffered a gone wrong-type adjustment with a hammer (small one even!)... :D :shock: :lol: :x :roll:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My hammer does that sometimes. it's the craziest thing :? :roll:

( guess you can tell, I don't know much bout a holley)
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used a 2 stage power valve from a holley on my autolite 4100. I like it!
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I used a 2 stage power valve from a holley on my autolite 4100. I like it!
I had to read about what those are used for...remember them coming out back when...ok, vaguely...!! :D

Joe - regarding the specs...nothing earth shattering...

-Unknown mileage 5.0 roller shortblock...got it from a great local guy that does Fox 'Stang resto work - said it ran fine...gonna find out!
-Aforementioned pro ported E7 heads...they're iron junk, but MO the guy does beautiful work. Probably about as good as it gets with stock valve sizes and not sleeving the pushrod holes...he did a 5-angle valve job that's nuts!! They've been shaved a mite .010 or .020 (dunno without CC'ing them) so hoping deck clearance is also minimal to help get compression up! Got 'em for $250 bucks and spent another $140 on a valve spring & seal kit.
-Used FRPP B303 roller cam
-Weiand X-Celerator intake - ported by me...well, more like knocking down the sharp casting under the carb pad & evening up the runners/ plenum floor
-The 4776 Holley DP above
-90's set of Doug Thorley Tri-Y nickel-chrome headers...pounded out & welded from a previous owners 351W in Falcon attempt...also spent a day and a half beveling the ports to match the heads (which were matched to a FelPro 1450)...waiting to be painted!

-Bad-A** T5, bought w/ about 200 miles on it from the bro...he went Auto!! :shock:

-The 3.89 geared 9" you've seen a lot of, that I got to install twice (so far...)!

I picked-up stuff like a gasket set, oil pump, 260 timing cover, 6-blade Hi-Po fan, Canton road-race pan, etc. The PLAN is to take the alternator and brackets, put 'em on the 302, trim the tranny crossmember, swap the front driveshaft yoke & shoehorn it all in (along with the hydraulic clutch setup). We'll see!!

The hope is I can sell the healthy 260 complete the T10 and recoup some $$. That's the PLAN anyway!! Sorry for the rant, I like Fooooorrd engines! :D :D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

-Accel StreetBillet dist -

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I used a 2 stage power valve from a holley on my autolite 4100. I like it!
I had to read about what those are used for...remember them coming out back when...ok, vaguely...!! :D
-
Where did you read it ? what are they used for? :? I just got it & stuck it in because it seemed to be what I needed & seemed to run pretty good!
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

On Holley.com! Apparently largely for fuel economy but if it runs good, heck yea!!

http://documents.holley.com/199r7903-2rev1.pdf