Introducing my UK Cyclone

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Introducing my UK Cyclone

Post by lavron »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:,inside of doors,window trim,is a flattened color,mine is darker blue,but I think the red is the same as exterior only flat!!
Isn't it more of a satin sheen? Seems like mine is, of course it is black, and my car is...well not black :roll: .

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LEAVE the cragers on your car,ALBERT.They look very good on your comet.......don't change a thing ...pop
pop/glenda

The Transplanter

Post by The Transplanter »

Mine does look flat at the moment, I wasnt sure if it was down to age/sun bleaching.

I will clean them up in that case to get a better idea of the finish! So when I paint it I can add matting agent until I get the sheen I need.

Would be good to get a paint code to work from though!

If not a friend of mine has a Spectrometer at work which would give the closest RAL number to the original paint

The Transplanter

Just been browsing the American Racing website (as you do)

If I were to go for 15" wheels, their website is stating that 8x15 (BS 4,50 ET0) & 7x15 (BS 3.76 ET -6) will fit! guessing this is 8's on the rear and 7's on the front?

Is this the size that everyone normally goes with or are there wider options with the std suspension layout?

Cheers Al

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Al...I recently went through the tire/wheel saga on my 65. What was the most tire/wheel I could get under my un-modified suspension? After a lot of measuring and figuring, I ended up with American TT-II's, 15x7, 3.75BS, -6 offset, front and rear. I went with Cooper Cobra tires, 215/65/15 on front and 235/60/15 on the rear. Some thought I wouldn't get the 235's under the rear without removing the rear axle bumpers and/or curling the fender lips, but they fit just right without doing either. I have no rubbing problems in the rear. I'm confident I couldn't have gotten 8" under there without interference, though. I did have a problem with the driver's side front tire dragging the leading edge of the fender when turning, but a couple of twist-in spring spacers are a temporary solution to that. I think tired coil springs in the front and/or bent or worn suspension components on the driver's side are probably my problem since the passenger's side didn't have the issue. I plan to replace the coils when I rebuild the suspension, so I expect that will take care of that.
These are the wheels I went with: http://www.wheelsforless.com/VN2155765
Here is a summary of the process I went through to make my decision, and some websites I referenced: http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... els#p74055
Hope this helps.
Jim

albert

Post by albert »

joem wrote:I also used Jake's interior from comet/falcon and agree with Roy. They fit great and the quality is first class. Good luck with our Cyclone project.
I also ordered my 65 Caliente interior with bucket seat option and am extremely pleased with the factory correct look and quality.
Also ordered carpet, sun visors and several other items from Jake, all high quality.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

The Transplanter

Thanks for the info and links Jim :) I have not even looked that hard underneath yet :oops: When the time comes I will have a measure up and see if I can squeeze the 8" in :P

Albert is there anything else I may want to order from Jake? This is my list so far:

Seat Covers (Bucket red)
Carpet kit (to include vinyl along the rockers and below the rear seat) (red)
Door Panels x4 (red)
Armrests x4 (red)
Dashpad (red)
Package tray (red)
headliner (white)
Comet Carpet overmats (red)
Bucket seat foams
Rear bench seat foam

The Transplanter

Also I bought myself this puppy today http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KARCHER-HDS-7 ... true&rt=nc

If I can get tomorrows work out of the way in the morning, I will be removing the interior and will be decontaminating the whole car with my newly purchased toy in the afternoon :D

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hopefully that will take care of the rat pee :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

The Transplanter

RAT's (well mice)!

Nests behind the kick panels

Started the strip down

Nest in the back seat

and under it

Sh1t!

Sprayed with TFR (detergent)

Pressure turned down and heat turned up

Worst floor pan is the passenger side front which has some perforation

Trunk area. Passenger side valance has some perforation, I will most likely cut out the rot and re-weld in some fresh steel

Drivers side front floor pan is good, just some surface rust to deal with

Steam cleaned the crap out of the interior, looks and smells a lot better :)

Did all the closure areas and engine bay whilst I was at it

Love my new machine! Shame about my camera skills :lol:

Is this normal corrosion on the Chrome? do you think I can find some good used trims or am I better to re-chrome?

And did I read somewhere that ash trays in the rear armrests was a rare option? or did I dream that???

More soon

Al :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The Transplanter wrote:And did I read somewhere that ash trays in the rear armrests was a rare option? or did I dream that???
I don't know for sure about '65s but my '64 is a base model (202) and it has the ash trays as well in the rear arm rests (I mean if it had arm rests in there right now) My car is completely option-less so I don't think they would have paid for the ashtrays.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I read that too but every 65 that I have noticed has had them,including my 2 calientes. maybe it was about cyclones only thing that we both read.

on the windshield trim, you wont find great pieces unless someone rechromed them. they rust easily I guess. You can use 0000 steel wool & make them look much better with minimum effort . just make sure it is 0000. (it is also a great glass cleaner)

while your cleaning it out there may be some insulation stuck up to the bottom of the dash & cowl. It can hold odors too .
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:on the windshield trim, you wont find great pieces unless someone rechromed them. they rust easily I guess. You can use 0000 steel wool & make them look much better with minimum effort . just make sure it is 0000. (it is also a great glass cleaner)
I am going to drop the vinegar rust removal suggestion here as well, just put them in a vinegar bath for about 24 hours and see what results you get, might try it in combination with John's suggestion of 0000 steel wool as it might make make the rust easier to remove, also drop them in baking soda and water (just 30 minutes to 1 hour) after the vinegar to neutralize the acid.

Won't help with any pitting but might make them look better.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The factory trim rusts easily,and it will keep rusting even if you keep after it!! RATS/MICE are nasty little animals,can do A LOT of damage!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:The factory trim rusts easily,and it will keep rusting even if you keep after it!! RATS/MICE are nasty little animals,can do A LOT of damage!! ROY.
IF they would just poop and pee and build a nest,a fellow could just clean it up ...but they want to chew on wires is the biggest thing :roll: :shock:
pop/glenda