Introducing my UK Cyclone

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
The Transplanter

Re: Introducing my UK Cyclone

Post by The Transplanter »

lavron wrote:
The Transplanter wrote:I have a feeling that a "tank top" is something completely different in the US to the UK lol
Well that is close :lol: our's are mostly t-shirts without sleeves, I think we would call that a sweater vest.

See Ya,
Mike
Thought as much :P we call those a "sleeveless T-Shirt"

The Transplanter

Started the tear down today :)

Found another rats nest in what remained of the old headliner :evil:
comet1.jpg
comet1.jpg (91.45 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Was the membrane on the doors really made of paper on these? (the rears were plastic).
comet2.jpg
comet2.jpg (142.57 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Found this tag on the rear seat, does it tell me anything interesting?
comet3.jpg
comet3.jpg (182.69 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
There is an air gap between the cowl and the heater box, im guessing this had some kind of rubber seal? And are they still available or will I need to make something up?
comet4.jpg
comet4.jpg (156.81 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
I managed to remove all the front windshield trim apart from this lower section. I had a bit of a tug and a lever but had no joy as I didnt want to damage it :| The shop manual I have just said "remove moulding" which doesnt help at all!

Any pointers on removing this ???
comet5.jpg
comet5.jpg (113.39 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Cheers Al

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That lower trim doesn't come out ,until you take out the windshield. & when you install the windshield the trim must be put in the seal beforehand. also make sure it is centered beforehand.
as for the cowl to the heater seal yes they are available, but save the clips from that one. I choose to use 2 seals from a 65 mustang glued together to save money. one came with the heater foam kit & I got an extra.
Johno

The Transplanter

poboyjo65 wrote:That lower trim doesn't come out ,until you take out the windshield. & when you install the windshield the trim must be put in the seal beforehand. also make sure it is centered beforehand.
I was planning on cutting the rubber seal to get the windshield out so that I didnt run into the chance of breaking the glass! So im guessing that if I cut on the inside that will be fine?

poboyjo65 wrote:as for the cowl to the heater seal yes they are available, but save the clips from that one. I choose to use 2 seals from a 65 mustang glued together to save money. one came with the heater foam kit & I got an extra.
Ok its good to know they are available :) I had a quick look around the net at the 65 mustang kits. Are the Mustang heater kits a worth while buy for a Comet as I need a heater core anyway as the PO by-passed it so no doubt that its shot.

Also whilst on the subject of the heater; The motor works on both speeds but squeals quite bad, can the motors shaft be lubricated to quieten them down, or should I budget for a new motor?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The Transplanter wrote: I was planning on cutting the rubber seal to get the windshield out so that I didnt run into the chance of breaking the glass! So im guessing that if I cut on the inside that will be fine?
Yea you should be fine. If it isn't loose don't force it. cut the outsides, top & sides, if necessary.

Yes the heater is the same as the mustang. only thing different is the heater to cowl seal. the one for a mustang is just foam & isnt tall enough. but you can glue 2 of them together & it works great. or buy the more expensive seal for a comet.

You're better off getting a new blower motor. the bushings are probably worn so lube will be a short term solution.
Johno

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I cut the windshield seal from the inside,all the way around. Took off outside windshield trim, 3 pieces except for bottom trim as Poboy mentioned it is captured inside of the seal. Pushed from the inside and out it came. I didn't have to be too careful because windshield already had a crack in it and car was going for new headliner. When headliner was installed I bought a front windshield seal from Dennis Carpenter and had Safelite install new windshield. I was able to talk to Safelite installer before install and he was familiar with using a windshield gasket because he owned a 1957 brand x car. He came out and $380.00 dollars later I had a new windshield installed. Andy

The Transplanter

Thanks guys, as always your help is always appreciated 8)

The seal had gone pretty hard, so most of it broke up and didnt take that much cutting :)
comet6.jpg
comet6.jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
comet7.jpg
comet7.jpg (104.98 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
comet8.jpg
comet8.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Rear window next, any pointers on that :?:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

All of the rear window trim is captured in the seal & wont come off until the window is out.cut it out from inside too. & ALL of its trim has to be in the seal when installing window

the Main thing is now is the time to put in the headliner before you put the windows back in.Both windshield & back window need to be out to get the headliner in correctly!!!

Also now is a great time to paint the top of the dash!!! :D
Johno

The Transplanter

Rear window is out :D I have left it in whats left of the rubber to help protect it whilst its being stored.

Im going to be painting the whole car inside out. Im looking forward to the day that I can shoot some paint on it

Im going to take the glovebox to my paint supplier next week to match up the red for the interior, but im guessing the original color
is rangoon red with a matting agent, but im planning on doing it in a gloss finish I think, as im not keen on the semi-matt!

Luckily I have the majority of the interior trim already as I dropped over $3K at Falcon/Comet Interiors last year, but will still need some parts as they didnt all materialise when I ordered the rest of the stuff! So will no doubt have more questions of early 65 Mustang compatibility, for things like the window cranks (look like Mustang 64.5), heater control panel, wiper & light switch etc....

The Transplanter

A couple of questions :D

1. I want to get my dash bezel and other dash parts restored, I dont mind sending them back to the States to be done (unless I can buy another set at a reasonable cost to send to the restorer). I did see someone is doing this a while back, but I cannot find any info it! Any recommendations???

2. I have a great list to order from MACs. On the window belt scraper felts, im confused to know if its the convertible or the 2dr sedan that I need? It may seem obvious, but im not sure if the 2dr is the 202 and is a different length to the Cyclone

Cheers Al

The Transplanter

Now the real work begins! Im guessing this is a common place for rust?

I was hoping to sort this out today but my reciprocating saw decided it didnt want to work, so have just ordered a new one.

The passenger side is worse, and I only got as far as cutting of the gutter channel today, once my sawzall turns up I can cut out the rust and start shaping some new steel :)
comet9.jpg
comet9.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
comet10.jpg
comet10.jpg (85.88 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
comet11.jpg
comet11.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
comet13.jpg
comet13.jpg (90.37 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
The drivers side
comet12.jpg
comet12.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 3415 times

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

You got your work cut out for you! That’s a good amount of cancer there!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

The Transplanter

RideAndShoot wrote:You got your work cut out for you! That’s a good amount of cancer there!
Nothing im not used to, here in the salted wet roads UK, every resto starts of with months of cutting, fabrication & welding :mrgreen:

Cut the offending bit out earlier today
comet14.jpg
comet14.jpg (82.65 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Cleaned the surface rust off the pillar and gave it a coat of epoxy, will make up the replacement metal parts tomorrow :)
comet15.jpg
comet15.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Last edited by The Transplanter on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Pics didn't show up for some reason. Anything different in the way you posted them?
Jim

The Transplanter

Try that. I tried not to use the forum uploader as its tedious to use and I dont like the frame it puts around everything, rather than it resizing and being fluid to the page.