Introducing my UK Cyclone

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
The Transplanter

Re: Introducing my UK Cyclone

Post by The Transplanter »

I will use and oxalic acid dip for the chrome in that case (as I always keep it in my workshop at home) to make the best of it, and then get it re-chromed later when im having something else done.

This is an 80's BMX I did the other week in oxalic, Its good stuff and cheap as chips

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Wow that looks good a shiny, I have just been trying a lot of different rust removal techniques lately and so far Vinegar has been my favorite for smaller things, that is why I mentioned it, but it looks like you have a solution already.

Hopefully the pitting won't be too bad on the trim.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

The Transplanter

lavron wrote:Wow that looks good a shiny, I have just been trying a lot of different rust removal techniques lately and so far Vinegar has been my favorite for smaller things, that is why I mentioned it, but it looks like you have a solution already.

See Ya,
Mike
haha

I think I have tried them all over the years inc Cola! I remember buying gallons of white vinagar at the wholesalers and getting some funny looks :mrgreen:

I did settle on using Citric Acid but I found that it could make the parts a bit scaley if left in to long. Oxalic was suggested to me by an electronics engineer friend (uses it for dipping circuit boards) and have been using that ever since as its odourless.

Just waiting for the new fanged miracle cure to come along now :P

This was the bike frame before

Problem is the rust does come back if kept in damp conditions as Roy pointed out :(

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

How long do you leave it in?
The Transplanter wrote:Problem is the rust does come back if kept in damp conditions as Roy pointed out
Yes I am looking for a solution to that as well, I have removed rust from so many bolts, etc. that I don't want to paint so I have been using a little machine oil on them. I would like to plate some of them or do black oxide, or cadmium but haven't found a cheap way to do that yet (might be because I haven't researched it too much yet :roll: )

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

The Transplanter

lavron wrote:How long do you leave it in?
Sorry I missed this Mike :oops: I left the bike frame int for 24hrs. I did go back to it a couple of times and agitated the surface pitting with an old toothbrush :lol:

I was given one of those cheap zinc electro plating kits, but I have not had a chance to use it yet. Apparently they do a pretty good job :?: But I have been told that its difficult to do using a car battery as voltage!

A couple of questions whilst im here:

1. The rubber grommets in the floor, where can I get these, are they the same as other models??

2. Can you buy just the acc pump diaphram for the 4100 or will I need to buy a whole carb rebuild kit?

Cheers Al :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep, here is one place;
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/4100_c_171.html

If your talking about the one for the secondaries be careful there are 2 types. one fits the metal actuator arm & one for plastic arm. they attach to the arm different & wont interchange.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here are some floor plugs;
http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... ns-c68.htm
You could probably find them elsewhere or at a mustang site if you measure your holes. you might find a place with free shipping or cheaper. I welded mine up.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The Transplanter wrote:
lavron wrote:Wow that looks good a shiny, I have just been trying a lot of different rust removal techniques lately and so far Vinegar has been my favorite for smaller things, that is why I mentioned it, but it looks like you have a solution already.

See Ya,
Mike
haha

I think I have tried them all over the years inc Cola! I remember buying gallons of white vinagar at the wholesalers and getting some funny looks :mrgreen:

I did settle on using Citric Acid but I found that it could make the parts a bit scaley if left in to long. Oxalic was suggested to me by an electronics engineer friend (uses it for dipping circuit boards) and have been using that ever since as its odourless.

Just waiting for the new fanged miracle cure to come along now :P

This was the bike frame before

Problem is the rust does come back if kept in damp conditions as Roy pointed out :(
I get a kick outta the brake cable adjuster,, 'spose they couldda put a handle on the little wheel to make it a little more complicated,,,, lol
Poor brake design to start with.
Being of English heritage (Amble, up the east coast of England) I fully understand the process,,,, I think about how to build something, add to it
to the point where it so complicated I throw out the idea all together!! lol
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

The Transplanter

poboyjo65 wrote:Yep, here is one place;
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/4100_c_171.html

If your talking about the one for the secondaries be careful there are 2 types. one fits the metal actuator arm & one for plastic arm. they attach to the arm different & wont interchange.
Secondaries seem good, its leaking fuel from the front acc pump. I will do a full rebuild at some point, but just wanted to stop the fuel leak for now so I can move the car around without fear of it igniting itself :lol:

Thanks for the links Johno I will take a look and have a measure up!
Last edited by The Transplanter on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Transplanter

SASSY wrote: Being of English heritage (Amble, up the east coast of England) I fully understand the process,,,, I think about how to build something, add to it
to the point where it so complicated I throw out the idea all together!! lol
Fred
Does that make you part Geordie Fred ;) :mrgreen:

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Geordie?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

The Transplanter

SASSY wrote:Geordie?
Geordie is a regional nickname for a person from the larger Tyneside region of North East England and the name of the Northern English dialect spoken by its inhabitants. The term is associated with Tyneside, south Northumberland and northern parts of County Durham.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well I'm a couple generations removed but Geordie I am. Thanks for the insight!
Just found out this info recently,, when my father died his name and the email info of his children
was out there on the web and a distant cousin (our grandparents were siblings) contacted me.
Turns out he was a redhead gearhead like me and lives somewhere in Amble,,, go figure.
I googled some stuff and found the row house my granddad lived in as a boy, not far from a castle on a hill
Youngers Terrace, Warkworth.
I kindda fell away from the contact though, guess I'm not as interested about where I'm from as where I'm going.
Fred

albert

Post by albert »

Spent a lot of time in Middlesbrough, Stockton, Thornaby area where my first wife was from. Was called Teeside area which was originally in Yorkshire now its part of Cleveland I believe. Teeside is just south of Tyneside and the accent is similar to the Geodie's................very difficult to understand at times. But all very nice down to earth people. Made a lot of trips there over a 15 year period in the 1970's early 1980's.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

1Horsepower

Post by 1Horsepower »

The passenger floor rust is caused by the dreaded cowl leak, they left the seam at the bottom of the cowl in bare metal and rust is really common. My car has almost no rust overall but similar passenger floor rot for this reason. Rather than pulling the glass and drilling out all the spot welds I went in from the side with the fender off and sealed it the best I could, you can also slow it down from underneath but unfortunately to really fix it you have to do some major surgery.