Introducing my UK Cyclone

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: Introducing my UK Cyclone

Post by popscomet »

The Transplanter wrote:Again thanks for the informative info gents :)

Whats the deal with Cragers Pops? Is this an "in" joke or are they crap? I always thought Cragers were "old school" and respected?!?

For your info they do sell Cragers over here lol. In fact the largest supplier of US wheels over here is a 15 minute drive away from me :D

http://www.northhantstyres.com/
NO SIR,THEY ARE NOT CRAP ! they belong on a 63/64 chevy ,maybe a 57...not on a COMET ! BUT THAT'S jmo and really it's an on going thing with OL POP and ALBERT...WHICH I must add has one of the nicest 65 comet here on this forum...pattern yours after his and you won't be sorry,but leave the cragers off and put on a set of TT D'S,,,,{ I LOVE THIS PLACE} :wink: :wink: :) pop
pop/glenda

The Transplanter

Post by The Transplanter »

popscomet wrote:

Whats the deal with Cragers Pops? Is this an "in" joke or are they crap? I always thought Cragers were "old school" and respected?!?

For your info they do sell Cragers over here lol. In fact the largest supplier of US wheels over here is a 15 minute drive away from me :D

NO SIR,THEY ARE NOT CRAP ! they belong on a 63/64 chevy ,maybe a 57...not on a COMET ! BUT THAT'S jmo and really it's an on going thing with OL POP and ALBERT...WHICH I must add has one of the nicest 65 comet here on this forum...pattern yours after his and you won't be sorry,but leave the cragers off and put on a set of TT D'S,,,,{ I LOVE THIS PLACE} :wink: :wink: :) pop
I must admit Torque Thrust D's are a wheel I have always liked since a friend of mine had a set on his Mustero :P but I have a way to go before I go choosing wheels :|

Anyhow, i will change my my mind at least 10 times before im ready :mrgreen:

The Transplanter

Guys, im thinking out loud here...

Would it be sacrilege to repaint the Cyclone another colour?

The plan was to keep the original external patina, but due to a real bad paint job in the past im going to have to take it back to bare metal! So go to thinking that I may as well paint it another colour! I was thinking black as it has good lines and would pull it off well IMO

So what are peoples thoughts on this?

Cheers Al

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A brand X motor would be sacrilege. & it would decrease the value of it. Other than something like that, it's build it to suit you, or build it like you want it. That's pretty much the way most guys on here look at it. :D
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

A color change is NOT a bad thing!! A scrub engine would be VERY BAD!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I think most of us on this forum have modified our cars in some way to suit our tastes, and paint is probably the most prevalent. I'm considering a color change on mine to the same Chrysler product color, Electric Blue, that I painted my first 65 Cyclone back in 1971. Just keep the engine Ford, or you'll pay the price on resale value (not to mention the wrath of most of the guys on this forum :evil: ).
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ya'll gotta excuse OL POP for alittle while,got to lie down,,,feel sick to my insides.........change the color to whatever,,,but a boat anchor motor in a FORD :cry: :( :shock: POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:but a boat anchor motor in a FORD
Don't worry Pop I don't think Al (The Transplanter) ever mentioned changing the motor, I think from his question about changing the color as possible sacrilege he never imagined changing the motor to anything but Ford 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

albert

Post by albert »

The Transplanter wrote:
popscomet wrote:

I must admit Torque Thrust D's are a wheel I have always liked since a friend of mine had a set on his Mustero :P but I have a way to go before I go choosing wheels :|

Anyhow, i will change my my mind at least 10 times before im ready :mrgreen:
I was just at a car show with my 65 Comet at the Englishtown NJ drag races this weekend and several drag racers looked at my car with a view to drop in a 427 and become the next Dyno Don Nicholson, I tell them all to get a "junker" or parts car if you plan to build a drag car. Many commented on how nice my car looked with the Cragars. In my view the Cragars are period correct and do look good on some 64/65 Comets especially white, black and yes red! I respect Pops opinion and I also like TT's and who knows maybe one day before the Cragars start to rust and I slingshot my Comet with me in it to heaven (hopefully) I may have TT's on it. Go with whatever wheels "trip your trigger"
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

The Transplanter

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dont worry I have no plans on changing the motor or any of the other running gear, Its going to be a resto with some period mods thats all :)

The colour is pie in the sky at the moment, but its nice to know I do have options without offending or devaluing the ole gurl :P

I shot falconcometinteriors an email as I have a long list of interior parts I want to get ordered! I also noticed that Macs, Dearborne & Mustang Market all offer interior parts for the 65 Cyclone. Is anyone familiar with the quality from any of the different firms? Or should I just stick with falconcometinteriors?

Also the freight company have managed to misplace my title for the car, which is a complete PITA as I will need it to registered it over here :|

Cheers Al

thos25

Post by thos25 »

GREAT FIND! I can only wish you the very best of luck with your rebuild. Also, you are one lucky guy to have scored such a solid CYCLONE. To echo ROY... "Keep the pictures coming" I bought my interior kit from Falcon/Comet Interiors and can't say enough good things about them! You fining the steering wheel and horn in the trunk was a first class JACKPOT. Those are the type of accessories that are COMET specific and VERY hard to find not to mention EXPENSIVE. Again, congratulations, enjoy your car and WELCOME to the COMET CLUB!! :D
Kind Regards, TOM

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Stay after that title,should save you time and trouble later!!You will not find better Quality parts than those from Jake at Comet/Falcon Interiors!!You may find cheaper,but that is what you will get,CHEAP CRAP!! If you go a color cahange,try to do EVERYTHING,ALL the jambs,inside the trunk,etc.!! JMO , ROY.

joem

Post by joem »

I also used Jake's interior from comet/falcon and agree with Roy. They fit great and the quality is first class. Good luck with our Cyclone project.

The Transplanter

Great, Falcon/Comet Interiors it is then as I want it as best it can be :) Jake has mailed me back, and I think im going to add all the rubber gasket/seals to the list whilst im at it, to save paying shipping & duty twice. But I wont be able to get back to the car until the w/end as its in my lockup/storage unit approx 25 miles from home :( I have another project in my workshop at home which is currently on a rotisserie which is nearly ready for paint, so as soon as that is rolling I can bring the Cyclone home, but until then I will have to commute.

And my friend found the title today :P he thought the shipping co. had mislaid it, but it was with his other Mustang titles! He see the "A" code in the VIN and presumed it was for his 66 GT :mrgreen: Panic over :shock:

Also thinking ahead slightly; Im going to stay with the red interior (my favourite interior colour on a classic), and repaint the metal part of the dash and tops of the doors etc. Does anyone know the paintcode for this? Would it be "J" carnival Red??

Oh and as for the color change, dont worry if I do I will do all the jams etc. There is nothing worse than opening a door and seeing another color! My friends GT he has here was originally Ivy Green, and someone in their wisdom painted it Wimbledon with Shelby stripes and left the door jams etc green :roll: And the worst part is that it was one of the worst paint jobs I have ever seen, which had the texture of a bedliner :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I have just spent 10hrs on it for him wet flatting and polishing it :| It looks a thousand times better, but you know the old saying; You cant polish a turd :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P

Cheers Al

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

WOW'happy to hear you found the title,that could have turned into a nightmare!!!It sounds like you have a good plan set up for your COMET!If the red is like my blue interior,the dash,inside of doors,window trim,is a flattened color,mine is darker blue,but I think the red is the same as exterior only flat!! ROY.